Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Jardine again..... (now MAC) (Read 30 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Jardine again.....
Reply #15 - 10/17/04 at 03:41:04

I think that having to rejet after fitting an after-market exhaust is a good thing, it means you are getting more air flow and air flow = HP.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/17/04 at 07:09:37

Yes that would be correct. But what if you were just looking for something that you DID NOT have to rejet.... something to replace a worn out stocker and you were happy with the performance... but did not want to pay OEM prices just to replace a old muffler with. Would you have a choice? Is there a choice? At this point it seems.... No....

I might be curious enough to do this one. And I would of course adopt the expectation that its a POS just to enter into it with the right attitude that so there would not be any bias going into it. Nothing disturbs me more than someone who tries something and then refuses to admit the thing is a POS just to justify his decision. And then even becomes an advocate without really admitting the faults of that. And then leads others to make the same mistake. I see this sort of thing all the time. At this point credibility leads me to believe the Supertrapp is the best first choice. Then the Jardine after that. But I cannot say that the MAC might not be as good a second choice at this point. I mean who knows? It does not seem the few that have them that reported have made comparisons. And perhaps the "many" that have them just do not get online and also have no way to compare them. Perhaps most of them did not research and think what they have is all there is.

In this case I have very little evidence either way as to the quality of this MAC product. Very little. All I know is the brand does have some recognition in making exhaust products that seem decent. I have no idea how they got into making Savage exhausts. But until we can find out for ourselves the quality and performance level then we should not dismiss that there might be another option. Lord knows we have so few of those already.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #17 - 10/17/04 at 07:18:14

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
yea but unfortunately Susan... when you read those you realize there are like only three related people mentioning MAC's, and among those, maybe two of them talk about a MAC "straight pipe" (which I don't think may be exactly the same. Could be wrong but they give very little info thats usefull if they are) and the other one talks about living by the Sea and corrosion on the pipe (not very helpfull to me)

.... so there is Extremely little info there on Hiese about these. Like three reports that quickly degrade into "nothing" and unrelated discussions. No clear review or report thats reputable in my mind.

So I asked.

Was just trying to help Smiley ... your previous post said:

...This one I have never heard here as being used by any members of any Forums I been too...

Since you said you had never heard of any members of any forums using the MAC pipe, it seemed to me that you had not seen those posts on Heise (irrespective of their quality), and perhaps had not done/did not know how to do a search on Heise.  I was only trying to help. Good luck with whatever pipe you end up with.  Ride on!  8)

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/17/04 at 15:00:49

Sorry... your right... I did say "any". I should not have gone that far Susan

....well.... as usual, the woman is right.  But not as ussual I am admitting it!  

I guess I should have said so few it almost qualified as none.... but then again, like  a true male... I am guilty of exageration....  Grin

I didn't mean to seem ungratefull. I just wanted you to read them too and see what I was talking about. Not much substance at all to those guys posts. And the follow ups even more useless...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 10/17/04 at 17:11:53

Well, not that I wouldn't like to hear your report (because I'm looking at buying a new muffler to replace my stock) but just so you have the option, I saw this like new stock exhaust on eBay (current bid at $56).  Just a thought since you said you liked the original.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/17/04 at 17:44:07

I am following that one and one other currently Rob. I put two on Watch Friday as a matter of fact. Thats one of them...But thanks. I will watch them and decide. I mean I have until Tuesday minimum to do that. No hurry really.

The both look good but then again who knows how much internal rust has occured to them since setting up. And I expect them to get higher.

The other one is Item number: 2494241343

But one thing I am thinking is at this point they are almost as much as the 80 some bucks I would and could use to try this MAC thing. However that being said we know they seem to be good ones. The OEM ones.... of then again.... thats a matter of oppinion I suppose.

Certainly an option still open though. But at some point I get very currious about this other one. Might be tempeted to do it anyway.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #21 - 10/17/04 at 18:01:41

I didn't mean to seem ungratefull. I just wanted you to read them too and see what I was talking about. Not much substance at all to those guys posts. And the follow ups even more useless...

Yep, you were right too!  There doesn't seem to be much useful experience posted on the MAC.  Will be curious to know what you end up doing.  

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 10/18/04 at 02:50:21

Yes that would be correct. But what if you were just looking for something that you DID NOT have to rejet.... something to replace a worn out stocker and you were happy with the performance... but did not want to pay OEM prices just to replace a old muffler with. Would you have a choice? Is there a choice? At this point it seems.... No....

I might be curious enough to do this one. And I would of course adopt the expectation that its a POS just to enter into it with the right attitude that so there would not be any bias going into it. Nothing disturbs me more than someone who tries something and then refuses to admit the thing is a POS just to justify his decision. And then even becomes an advocate without really admitting the faults of that. And then leads others to make the same mistake. I see this sort of thing all the time. At this point credibility leads me to believe the Supertrapp is the best first choice. Then the Jardine after that. But I cannot say that the MAC might not be as good a second choice at this point. I mean who knows? It does not seem the few that have them that reported have made comparisons. And perhaps the "many" that have them just do not get online and also have no way to compare them. Perhaps most of them did not research and think what they have is all there is.

In this case I have very little evidence either way as to the quality of this MAC product. Very little. All I know is the brand does have some recognition in making exhaust products that seem decent. I have no idea how they got into making Savage exhausts. But until we can find out for ourselves the quality and performance level then we should not dismiss that there might be another option. Lord knows we have so few of those already.

Unfortunately bikes are not blessed with parts options like cars, but when most bikers order replacements their focus is performance and sound with the effect of getting away from OEM standard.  No one wants to buy an "aftermarket stock" muffler, so no one makes one.  You may just do well to get the stocker from Ebay.... Tongue

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/18/04 at 06:54:21

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
....  You may just do well to get the stocker from Ebay.... Tongue

However condition inside of those will always be unknown. The gamble in that is ending up right back were you were. Just because a exhaust is a low mileage take off does not stop the interior deterioration thats going to occur once that metal is heated up very very well and its coatings burned off and it in fact probably deteriortates faster when hung up in some garage or shed for a few years and never having the moisture burned out of it on a regular basis. Which I believe is what caused the early demise of my stocker. Not enough use. I suspect that is partialy to blame here. The bike only got ridden once a month and perhaps went a few months in between if not all winter without being run. And this allows rust to build faster than a regularly used bike.

So one would wonder if he was going to get a good interior pipe used. Even the seller has no way to know. He assumes it still is good. It was when he took it off. But its not in a state of hibernation. Rust is doing its thing. Always. Because he can only examine the outside he has to assume its still like it was before he replaced it. In fact it is not. Same as where mine looks almost mint outside... its coming apart on the inside. Probably from low use of the bike I would guess.

So.... its a gamble to buy a used one. And to pay almost what a performance one would be that is known to be unused. I mean getting a used one for say 70 - 100 bucks is about what one can go performance and new for. So unless you could get one for like <50 it starts becoming a delema and pricey gamble.

So what happens here is a person with a bad Muffler has only a few choices. Go to Suzuki and buy an OEM stocker for an unGodly high price. Rediculous actually. Or take a chance on a used one.... or go performance.

And certainly I see absolutely no resonable level or market for a aftermarket "stock" type of muffler. I wouldn't make one either. I mean how many would you sell? maybe two or three a year? If that many. No way if I was a manufacturer would I consider it. And funny thing is most of the manufacturers out there barely see any market for Savages ANYWAY for ANYTHING... so....

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 10/18/04 at 11:06:09

Well, a new muffler is one of the things on my Xmas/birthday list (the two are within a few days of each other) and my wife told me yesterday to go ahead and order the muffler for my birthday.  I went ahead and ordered the MAC.  Since it is a birthday present, I may not actually be putting it on the bike until the date rolls around.  Whenever I get to use it, I'll let you know what I think.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/18/04 at 12:03:11

Cool! I am very interested in what you first impression are of the workmanship. Might help me decide. That and watching and thinking on used ones.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/20/04 at 18:17:23

Update

The first used Stocker on eBay went for $96 shiped. And it was described as a new take off. No description of when and what year it was taken off nor how long its been hanging up waiting for sale

The second one on now is now at $81 and $14 S&H at this time. One more day and some to go. Its described as like new and used.

Looks like the going rate right now is about $100.... but conditions are unkown beyond what you can tell and presume.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 10/21/04 at 02:41:38

Update

The first used Stocker on eBay went for $96 shiped. And it was described as a new take off. No description of when and what year it was taken off nor how long its been hanging up waiting for sale

The second one on now is now at $81 and $14 S&H at this time. One more day and some to go. Its described as like new and used.

Looks like the going rate right now is about $100.... but conditions are unkown beyond what you can tell and presume.

I should ask my spouse if she wants to sell hers.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #28 - 10/21/04 at 10:09:51

UPS shows my MAC should be delivered today but I don't know whether I'll get now or have to wait for my birthday in late December.  Maybe I can take some photos even if my wife won't let me have it yet.  We'll see...

cphilip
Ex Member

Now its MAC under the gun!
Reply #29 - 10/21/04 at 10:35:07

OK Update....

There was a message on my cellie... this morning from the dealer said he got one of these in. And wanted me to look at it and see if I wanted it.

So I tootle down there this morning when he opens and takes a look.

We open the box. and its rather much a straight shot with some baffling around the edges. Chrome looks fairly well done. Hard to tell about new chrome. There was a little dimple/dent in this one. Not what I would call bomb proof packing at all. But so he says "well... if you want it I will knock off some money for it. If not no biggie, I just knew you might be interested and figured I would just go ahead and stock one". So I asked him if he was going to return it or something and he just shakes his head and says "well thats just more trouble than its worth. Trust me I have returned stuff before and its just not worth it. I'll just sell it cheap if need be rather than that". Seems all this comes from a Distributor, not factory direct stuff but a wholesaler. So I said well "how much then". He says "ok.... $75 and thats what I got in it. So I agree. Needless to say its already "pre-dinged" for me....  Roll Eyes But hell its cheap right? So I bring it back here and go to work....

Now let me tell you this thing is little more than a straight pipe with some shape and some baffling around the outside. About half the diameter of the Original stock one.

First thing is to get the old one off. So I go about that. If you have not done this before (like me) it takes you a few minutes before you discover that the two Header bolts are going to need to come out so the up pipe can move a little bit to let the two rear mounting bolts clear their mount on the swingarm bracket. Once you do that it all slide off pretty easy. And leaving them lose to refit the New muffler is of course a good idea as well.

Now the fit:

Well it does not fit as good as Stock. Naturaly.  Its not really made exactly with the same angles and in the case of the back two bolts to the swing arm they did not bother to wedge shape this like the stock one. So at first it seems its going to fit awfull. And you might be temped to quit on it right there. But by leaving everything lose and tightening things a few turns at a time, First center clamp a tad, then two head bolts down to snug then two rear swing arm bolts half way. Wiggle and rotate a bit.... continue to alternate tightening each thing... and it sort of works its way into where it wants to be and things start to draw into place and come close to decent. Not perfect. But pretty darn much closer than you would first thing it was going to. Doesn't look too bad at all when if all finaly cinches down. In fact pretty decent.

Now the issue of the stock heat shield. Well they put one tab on this thing and the stock one had a double screw attachment and slide in bracket. There is not very much to hold it to. And its in a location that if you don't put it on first before you slip the new muffler on you cannot tighten a screw very well. So that small single screw should be changed to a hex head machine bolt if you do this. What I am doing now is that. I did manage to get the screw in and with an offset screwdriver get it snugg but not what I would call secure.

Now that stock Heat shield is a bit large for this new smaller diameter muffler. It probably should be changed to a more flush one of some type. You might like it you might not. I will show you a picture of that soon....

Took me about and hour. Would have gone quicker if I had ever done one before. But I was carefull and deliberate. And I still will need to do some snugging now and recheck some torques today.

Now to sound. THIS THING IS LOUD! I don't care what he said its loud. The funny thing is it may not be any louder than any other out there because I have no reference to say. But it does GROWL at you. I mean a VERY MEAN AND NASTY SNARL.... and at idle you can really hear where these big singles got the nickname Thumper. It does indeed now thump thump thump.... I don't know if its obnoxious. Again I am a quiet kind of guy. However oddly enough my wifes first comment was "now it sounds like a motorcycle". Now go figure. She says she likes it. She says she could never hear me pull up before and it soulds like any other motorcycle now. So well.. if chicks dig it.... erm....  8)

So lets see.... I just don't know at this point. I did get a tad more backfire this morning after testing it out. Not much. Maybe I could just hear those little ones more. I dunno. Not rode it enough to really be ready to comment on those.

Let me get some pictures up... Hold on.

(I am NOT out of the market for a stocker cheap. And I did, after take off of the old one find a crack near a weld in the rear of it. Probably where my noise was coming from. Not certain I can weld it though)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 00:10:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine again..... (now MAC)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.