Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Jardine again..... (now MAC) (Read 30 times)
cphilip
Ex Member

Jardine again..... (now MAC)
10/15/04 at 14:58:39

Ok so I visit my Suzuki Stealer.... seeing if he has a new like take off muffler for a savage (of course) and he and I dig around in the back room.... no find one.... but we tried.... He then says heck Phil I can get you a Jardine for like $100.... why not do that? So I say "well... I had thought of that sort of thing but I really did not want to get into it that involved". He says "well a new stock is going to be so much more expensive than that and everyone I got running these just absolutely loves em. Several of them made no real jetting changes and still run fine. The Mechanic chimes in and agrees. Says he had one and it really woke it up. And he claims not too loud either. So the Stealer says " and if need be I can get you an adjustable jetting kit really cheap too". So we are now talking about that. So Lets again hear what people thing about Jardine. He seems to want to recommend it over the Supertrapp. He feels its better as it takes on the stock mounts and heat guard and looks more stock (but skinny and longer) and more or less performs as well. Although not tunable he says everyone is very pleased with theirs he has running them. At least he seems to be arguing this would be his choice. And so does the young kid mechanic that actualy owned a Savage with one on it.

So whats the story here. Anyone NOT like a Jardine and why?

Sounds cheap enough.... right?

IP Logged
Ram
Ex Member

Re: Jardine again.....
Reply #1 - 10/15/04 at 17:34:41

I have a Jardine ..fitted it myself.  Absolutely love it.

Improved sound
Improved performance
Stunning looks

For first 1000 miles or so just took off the white spacer and turned out the mixture screw.

After that put bigger main jet, put the spacer back in and can't complain a bit.

I say go for it!

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #2 - 10/16/04 at 01:27:49

Jardine on my bike - Supertrapp on my wife's - I like the Jardine better.  Better sound.  Both started turning color within the same time frame (although the Jardine did turn blue where the Supertrapp turned golden brown to blue).

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/16/04 at 02:56:48

I personally like the SuperTrapp.  The Trapp comes with it's own heat shield and is tuneable via adding/removing disks.  It also mounts just fine on the stock muffler mount.  It is more expensive, but what the hay....

I also have heard of 2 bikes where the baffle/packing came loose in the Jardine, which is what you presently have with the stock muffler.

As for the tuneable jet kit...are we talking about the DAJ again?  Oh no.  More expensive and just adds additional clutter to a bike that is intended to be simple.  I think this issue was well dissected in another topic.

In either case, make the jetting changes immediately upon  installing either muffler and you won't have any discoloration.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/16/04 at 06:20:30

Your close to the same area as me Greg. So what did you jet too? I am in upstate SC and I beleive we are about the same altitude...

So your saying NOT to go adjustable. Then just go with a slightly larger jet for this. I should think 150?

Yes I searched around and saw your posts regarding the lose packing reports. Also found several reports of the discoloration on the Supertrapp's (saw more reports of those than Jardine). I see some dino results showing a bit more preformance out of the Supertrapp's and that might explain the more frequency of discolorations if people did not rejet. I am about to conclude the Jardine is closer to stock in its backpressure (and unchangable) as is... so it may be a tad easier to get by without rejetting. Which might explain my dealers reports from users not rejetting.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/16/04 at 09:06:00

Another consideration he seems to be recommending... and I never heard they made these for Savages... but he showed to me and seems real keen on them Also has four or five people with these...

Mac....

I know they made some good car stuff at one time. And I certainly not heard anyone here say anthing about them. But seems they make a complete slip on direct bolt on for the Savage. He says a bit louder but closer to stock and no jetting issues he has seen with them. And good looking thing.... looks like a Jardine actually.

By the way I took the bike by there today and had them listen to this... and they also agree its the muffler. Now I just got to decide...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/16/04 at 10:25:02

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Your close to the same area as me Greg. So what did you jet too? I am in upstate SC and I beleive we are about the same altitude...

So your saying NOT to go adjustable. Then just go with a slightly larger jet for this. I should think 150?

Yes I searched around and saw your posts regarding the lose packing reports. Also found several reports of the discoloration on the Supertrapp's (saw more reports of those than Jardine). I see some dino results showing a bit more preformance out of the Supertrapp's and that might explain the more frequency of discolorations if people did not rejet. I am about to conclude the Jardine is closer to stock in its backpressure (and unchangable) as is... so it may be a tad easier to get by without rejetting. Which might explain my dealers reports from users not rejetting.

Yep, Clemson isn't that far away....been there many times, and since I also ride the Parkway, I can assure you that a single jet change will be just fine for your altitude and also the highest peaks over 6K feet.  My spouse is running a 152 main with her Trapp.

As for a dealer's perspective on what is good for a Savage....all that I can say is BS.  How many times do people buy a used Savage that has a blued pipe?  We hear it all the time on the forums, but what percentage of Savage riders (of all the Savages sold) actually visit these forums?  My guess is that the majority of the dealer installed mufflers go out the door and never return...they end up parked, wrecked, traded, or sold and the dealer doesn't really get any feedback anyway.  Most riders are new to the sport and don't even know if they have a problem when the pipe blues.....so I just don't think that a dealer is the best judge of what is good.  We are  8)

I like the Trapp and some like the Jardine.  I can't say anything bad about it and everyone has their own opinions and tastes.  If you want a Trapp without loosing back pressure, then just install 6 disks instead of 8 and see if it runs as you like it.  Then you might only need a 150 main.  My spouse's has 14 disks and she runs a 152 and a "1/2 spacer".

Oh, and don't forget to use the copper anti-sieze on those stainless bolts liberally....

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/16/04 at 11:28:42

Oh I agree Greg. But it doesn't hurt to see if you can find out what dealers are selling the most of without getting too many complaints back about. Although that would be information that should be sifted through and taken as only one grain of salt....

Now what interests me at this point, before I go ahead is, is the introduction of MAC into the line up of choices. Previously all I hear is Supertrapp and Jardine...  This one I have never heard here as being used by any members of any Forums I been too. And he brings up that is his best seller for this and he likes its quality and has no complaints on it. So now I am wondering why I have not heard about this one around the Forums. Perhaps because its not a realy high performance designed one. More stock like but a bit more sound... but... still if its made for a Savage.... and someone has used it... and its cheap.... Like 80 bucks... and I know the name MAC from performance stuff for Mustangs... I know they used to make good stuff for those.

So who has seen this MAC in person and known someone who used one?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/16/04 at 15:25:54

Wow, just did a search and found this.  There is also a Canadian distributor.  The US site says 86-87 but the Canadian distributor's site says it fits 86-93.  Mine is a 98.  I wonder how different it would actually be.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #9 - 10/16/04 at 17:30:24

This one I have never heard here as being used by any members of any Forums I been too...So who has seen this MAC in person and known someone who used one?

Did a quick site search on Heise and came up with some responses:  

Posts on Heise re: Mac.  

It is easy to do this sort of search: use google; go to heise; type mac in the google search box; select "search site" in the drop down menu to the right of the search box. Voila related posts!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/16/04 at 19:47:17

Dyno sheets have shown no real improvements with the Jardine over stock...with the supertrapp improvements were found (this is from dyno sheets I have seen on the Heise site I believe).

My bike came with a Jardine on it from the dealer and when I looked inside it I was horrified to find out it has a louvered core with the louvers REVERSED!!!  A louvered core already is nearly as restrictive as a stock muffler...reversing the louvers makes it worse.  A straight through perforated core muffler would offer immensely better flow (though it would be louder than a louvered core muffler).

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/16/04 at 19:47:19

yea but unfortunately Susan... when you read those you realize there are like only three related people mentioning MAC's, and among those, maybe two of them talk about a MAC "straight pipe" (which I don't think may be exactly the same. Could be wrong but they give very little info thats usefull if they are) and the other one talks about living by the Sea and corrosion on the pipe (not very helpfull to me)

.... so there is Extremely little info there on Hiese about these. Like three reports that quickly degrade into "nothing" and unrelated discussions. No clear review or report thats reputable in my mind.

So I asked.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/16/04 at 20:17:18

I am smelling our first Field test here.... I might just buy one to prove how big a Peace of crap this thing is... or isn't. What the heck eh? I mean I can see if its what it claims to be... and performance would not be my goal here... things like does it rust easy, discolor easy, need serious rejetting, sound like crap etc etc....

So maybe I will buy one and see if I can get a sound clip of this stock first and this thing after it... and some good digital photo's and follow its life through a while... if someone can get some comparisons ready for the Jardine and Supertrapp.... sound clips and all.... we could decide for ourselves if this thing is a piece of crap or not... going into it with eyes wide open and not expecting much out of it... put it to rest if need be. I am into that. I would not realy have much to gain or lose if it fails to be decent. I can always change it out if its a total dog pile...

I am down with it. Are you guys/gals?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 10/17/04 at 03:29:41

I am smelling our first Field test here.... I might just buy one to prove how big a Peace of crap this thing is... or isn't. What the heck eh? I mean I can see if its what it claims to be... and performance would not be my goal here... things like does it rust easy, discolor easy, need serious rejetting, sound like crap etc etc....

So maybe I will buy one and see if I can get a sound clip of this stock first and this thing after it... and some good digital photo's and follow its life through a while... if someone can get some comparisons ready for the Jardine and Supertrapp.... sound clips and all.... we could decide for ourselves if this thing is a piece of crap or not... going into it with eyes wide open and not expecting much out of it... put it to rest if need be. I am into that. I would not realy have much to gain or lose if it fails to be decent. I can always change it out if its a total dog pile...

I am down with it. Are you guys/gals?

Not really.  I read those posts too....If you suspect that a MAC is a piece of crap, and you aren't sure if you want a Jardine either then why not buy the one that no one has complained about and is suggested to give better power as well?  That would be the Trapp.

Here is another post on the Jardine from that forum too.
Jardine turned brown

Of course if doing a product review is what you want to do, then go for it with eyes wide OPEN Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 10/17/04 at 03:31:56

PS - I have a Raask, SuperTrapp and Jardine sound clip.  Contact me directly if you are interested.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 09:36:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine again..... (now MAC)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.