Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Jardine again..... (now MAC) (Read 30 times)
cphilip
Ex Member

Mac now
Reply #30 - 10/21/04 at 10:50:17

From rear angle side view

From front side view:

a little distance away and rear:

Now to get a sound clip. I was thinking of using my iSite with my Powerbook. Think that will work? I never used this stuff before so I gotta do some experimentation and learning to get a clip of it.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Jardine again..... (now MAC)
Reply #31 - 10/21/04 at 14:22:28

Can't wait to get mine put on.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 10/21/04 at 16:15:28

Ok update.

I replaced the single Phillips screw (brought over from the stocker) that was holding the heat shield on with a Hex head bolt and added a anti - vibration washer to that set up. Good fix for that issue.

I retightened everything again today. Most things needed some more now that its been run in and heated and cooled a few times. Rechecked my torque on the Exhaust manifold bolts. They needed a few more pounds. And still got a bit of leak around the clamp collar that joins the main tube to the new muffler. Seeing some discoloration underneath in one spot from that exscaping gas. Can't see it from above. have to lay down and look up to see where its happening. So.... Going to go at it with the air wrench and try and get that out. I got most of it down but it does have to be colapsed on there. Takes a bunch of squishing to get it.  But its coming along.

Got almost all the backfire out (as much or more than before it was installed) with almost one full turn of the air mixture screw richer (counter clockwise). Not quite a full turn but a tad over 3/4 of one right now. I do not know where it was to start. But that seems to have solved most if not all of it. Almost no backfire now but I did have a tad before. Completely managable now like before. Was not as managable like before this mornings longer ride as it was before... it was a bit more pronounced so I did have to start tweeking on it.  But seems very managable now.

IP Logged
Tim Rumple

Reply #33 - 10/21/04 at 17:57:12

cbphillip,  did you put on the Mac or the Jardine?

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 10/21/04 at 18:02:52

That is the MAC you see and what he got in stock and that I purchased and put on this morning.

However do note that is the stock Heat Shield reused on it as it does not come with one specific for it. Which I beleive the Supertrapp does? Not certain of Jardine nor Rask if they do.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 10/21/04 at 18:18:57

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Can't wait to get mine put on.

Rob, inspect it immediately upon arrival. No matter what you do after that. And take it out of the plastic sleeve to do so. Their packaging is less than stellar. And we even thought this little ding in mine "might' have been in it before Chrome. So be very aware they may not have the best QC at all. It does claim made in USA but... none the less be warned.  I am not impressed with the protection the packaging is giving it. This box looked perfect but there was a ding in this pipe.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 10/21/04 at 21:36:28

I inspected mine and it looks just fine.  There are no scratches or dings at all, though I would agree that the packaging is less than one might expect - basically the muffler is in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box.  I have to say though that it was shipped from the factory in CA via UPS Ground, arrived in 3 days and survived unscathed.  Maybe they've found that packaging to be sufficient but if I weree the sender, I would have preferred at least some crumpled paper to suspend the product in the box just a bit.  I see what you mean about being a straight pipe.  There is baffling lining the walls of it but about a 2" diameter straight path for airflow right through the center.  I'll likely get it on this weekend.  I definitely appreciate the opportunity to gain from your experience on the installation.  Thanks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #37 - 10/23/04 at 02:48:40

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
That is the MAC you see and what he got in stock and that I purchased and put on this morning.

However do note that is the stock Heat Shield reused on it as it does not come with one specific for it. Which I beleive the Supertrapp does? Not certain of Jardine nor Rask if they do.  

SuperTrapp comes with a small one.  Raask doesn't come with one, but doesn't need one.  I think the stock and Trapp heatshields are mostly cosmetic anyway and just intended to hide the clamping hardware.

The MAC looks pretty good in the picture.  You can buy aftermarket heatshields to replace the stocker if you want.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 10/23/04 at 06:56:52

Thats really all this one needs is a hiding plate for that joint.

I need to look around for one. This one looks kind of odd with its wide flare matching to a smaller pipe.

I think this thing is very much like the Raask. In more ways than just one. Anyone got  a picture of that one?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #39 - 10/23/04 at 09:36:47

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Thats really all this one needs is a hiding plate for that joint.

I need to look around for one. This one looks kind of odd with its wide flare matching to a smaller pipe.

Lot's of aftermarket pipe places sell different length and size heatshields.

Quote:
I think this thing is very much like the Raask. In more ways than just one. Anyone got  a picture of that one?

Except that a Raask is one piece with a larger ID throughout than the stock header pipe....also needs only one rear bolt to mount

Got a picture?  Are you kidding?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #40 - 10/23/04 at 21:14:11

Got my MAC put on today and wow, what a difference in sound!  If I had to guess, I'd say it probably has about the same flow as a Raask but just slightly quieter due to the baffle lining on the walls.  Seems to run just fine.  I was concerened it would be noticeably leaner because of the improved airflow and that it would cause a lot more backfiring.  I guess having the idle mixture screw backed out as far as it'll go (and stuck there, it seems) is enough to offset the worst.  I'll probably rejet it next weekend and go to about a 146.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 10/24/04 at 05:10:02

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Got my MAC put on today and wow, what a difference in sound!  If I had to guess, I'd say it probably has about the same flow as a Raask but just slightly quieter due to the baffle lining on the walls.  Seems to run just fine.  I was concerened it would be noticeably leaner because of the improved airflow and that it would cause a lot more backfiring.  I guess having the idle mixture screw backed out as far as it'll go (and stuck there, it seems) is enough to offset the worst.  I'll probably rejet it next weekend and go to about a 146.

My Dear Mr. Savage_Rob:

CONGRATS on your new pipe, but I have to be nitpicky with your last sentence....

You have been surfing these pages a long time, and I'm sure that after all this time, that you really know that a 146 main jet doesn't exist.  I know very well that you've never heard anyone say anything about a jet of that size, and even if they did you'd only be making the "radical" change of .01 MM on your main jet....about .0003937" in diameter  Shocked and I know that you don't want to waste your time with that mod Tongue

For those that don't know, let's just refresh this topic a bit...

Jets come in increments of .025 MM (rounded ~.001").  A  stock "145" main jet in real numbers is 1.45 MM and the next choice is 1.475 MM or a 147.5 main jet.  The sizes continue like 150, 152.5, 155, 157.5 and 160.....and in "inches" we have .057", .058", .059", .060", .061", .062", and .063" (see the trend?) (I love metrics, too)

Now back to your new Mac pipe (which seems like another  pretty good Savage option)....don't even waste your time changing to the next size, a 147.5.  Go ahead and take the plunge and pop at least a 150 in there.  It's only a .002" increase.  But if it were me, I'd go to a 152.5 or even 155.

BTW - with my Raask, I'm running a 157.5.  I tried a 160, but it was too rich.  

Come on, jets are cheap.  Buy a handfull and play with it and don't wait for something to turn blue 8)

BTW2 - A Raask also has an internal baffle tube and has an optional removable center baffle (to make the cops happy)

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #42 - 10/24/04 at 07:06:03

Keihin jets go up in steps of 2 and 3 just to avoid half numbers.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 10/24/04 at 07:09:00

That would be .02 and .03 MM each, right?

Think I'll go check out Ebay for that carb again  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 10/24/04 at 07:40:54

Nope.  Couldn't find a FCR41 today.  Have to keep looking  Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 08:42:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine again..... (now MAC)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.