Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Computing in 2023
Reply #76 - 09/07/23 at 10:07:03

IDK how many years it has been since I had a tower, but probably around 15. The Kindle is all I Have to have. I miss seeing pictures big enough to actually see. I am absolutely blown away by the tech of today. My wife's cell phone has more capability, excluding the phone and camera, set those aside, and the cell phone can access information in so many ways, it's amazing. Now add back the camera,, consider the quality, and realize That fits in your pocket. And who doesn't remember The Brick? The first commercial Portable phone.. It was the size of a purse.
And Now all of that technology is available to everyone. And it fits in a pocket.

So, computing today? I have zero knowledge of Just what kind of leaps have been made in the years since I stopped messing with them. I knew a guy who was all in on AMD processors and was building overclocked and water cooled towers for competition and got to listen to him, but technology moves fast.
IDK what the RAM installed in the average home unit would be, or hard drive capacity.
I'm sure it's all about like the difference between the Wright flyer and an F 16.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #77 - 09/10/23 at 21:00:37

I'm an IT professional and use a desktop at home, and always will.  I'm frankly puzzled when I hear a coworker say they only use a phone at home for all their computing needs.  I cannot stand phone apps for the most part.  If I want to browse Amazon or Home Depot, I need a browser and a keyboard.  I guess those people use their work laptop to compose letters and such, but I'm not willing to do that.  I can't stand using the phone keyboard for serious e-mail discussions.  I was more or less 50/50 Windows/Linux since the WWW became a thing but decided to give a Mac Mini with the M1 chip a try about 3 years ago.  I love the thing and can only think of a handful of things about the OS that bug me.  Yes, Windows has tons of shortcut and right-mouse convenience items built in, but MacOS isn't *that* different.  It was definitely influenced by Windows innovations.    I guess the one thing that bugs me is not being able to hit the Delete key with a file highlighted to trash it.  So, instead of being a fierce loyalist to either MacOS, Linux, or Windows, I use all 3.  Windows bugs the crap out of me in many ways, especially the time it takes to start up and patch it.  MacOS starts up fast and patches nicely.  Linux starts up really fast, and the patching is unobtrusive, but you often have to ask for patches instead of having them pushed automatically.  I used Mac heavily around 1990 at work for a couple years, but the things were too expensive for me for home use at the time.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #78 - 09/10/23 at 22:00:36

I think that I am still amazed that I have a gaming rig on my desk right now that I bought for less than what a separate graphics card would cost me -- one that includes a Ryzen 7 AMD 8 core chip, a lower end gaming level AMD graphics chipset, 64 gigabytes of systems memory, and 3 terabytes of solid state drive space.

Cool

I will state for the record that the little AMD box stuffed with laptop based goodness works fine for anything I have tried to do with it and the little box jest stuffed slam full of memory and storage costs less than half of what a low end tower gaming machine (with relatively skinny memory specs) would have cost me.

And it all fits in a tiny corner of my deskspace that is just 5" by 4" by 1 3/4" tall.  

My wife says she can hear the little fans run when I am gaming, but I cannot hear the tiny high pitched sound at all.

Yes, I realize I bought it at "generational change" close out pricing, but it is a lot of good stuff for a moderate amount of money.

==================================

Now I have another thing to be grateful for, I have a set of full sized cores with full function speeds in my Ryzen 7 eight core chipset and a full set of fast last gen graphics cores to go along with it.

The next generations of Phoenix APUs will be a mix of big and little, which brings some power and size benefits to balance out an existing 25% hit in raw performance for each of the smaller 4c cores.

Click on this and "copy image to a new tab" then open the tab --- there is a lot more to see if you can increase the image size a bit.

And yes, the thing on the right is a different design of core run at a smaller lithography.

https://liliputing.com/amds-first-hybrid-chips-feature-zen-4-and-smaller-zen-...  shows you details on big little and explains the current levels of trade offs.

The much smaller 4c cores will pick up more power and speed shortly, with them actually becoming the main cores of the future AMD generations.   But right now you can see that the 4c cores which are built with a different smaller lithography which is still proving itself out which goes to explain why they do not perform as well as the existing zen-4 big cores can perform.

Until then, I am happy to have the relatively larger Gen 4 cores that I have -- especially at the price I bought it at and considering just how well the larger Gen 4 cores performs.

« Last Edit: 09/17/23 at 22:40:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 09/13/23 at 19:52:43

It was an easy prediction for me to make 3 months ago.

Intel is indeed throwing over all their processor naming conventions and is RENAMING everything according to a phony baloney new naming system.

Why?  Because it is really  the same old Intel big 10nm and 7nm lithography stuff as the last two years (within an 8% testing variance).   It does have a bigger on the top layer of memory cache, which is where the 8% improvement actually comes from (if the theoretical improvement indeed makes a solid appearance in subsequent real production runs).

Intel is going to focus on tuning several processors out of their line up and tune them very very carefully with AI sub-components and make all Intel advertising claims for the entire new line based upon them.

Why?   AMD just did a generation increase and is already as good or better that the "fake it until you make it" new Intel stuff.  

Intel cheats, so expect a wave of BS cheating to take place soon.

We have a lot of change coming up on both Intel and AMD sides.  BIG changes are coming up early next year then again later on in the year as well.  

We expect more processor core counts from both sides, but we also expect the cores from AMD to continue to pull two threads per core even on the littles, pull a LOT less power on the littles and have low cost low power variants that are built up of 100% littles as lithography shrinks and other improvements make the these new littles functionally equivalent to the old Bigs.  

Intel will change their naming starting now, but will take until 2025 to ring in any TSMC made chiplets (if they ever get them made).

Rumor now says that TSMC has yield issues on their 3nm second gen and because of this poor yield there is no production capacity at TSMC to support Intel in 2025.  

NONE, AT ALL.

AMD and Apple get their sizeable prepaid allocation of chips from Taiwan facilities, but Intel gets bupkiss as Intel cancelled their TSMC allocations and did not pre-pay for their chips.

Intel may have been counting on Biden's compute America plan to get them TSMC chips from the new TSMC Arizona facilities, but this ran afoul of TSMC losing interest in dumping even more megabucks into American facilities that can't even get themselves built on time.

This Biden Compute America plan did not pan out in reality.

« Last Edit: 09/30/23 at 03:48:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #80 - 09/17/23 at 22:10:40

Let's talk a bit about what this really means.   AMD has shown us the next generation design and showed us the out of the gate TSMC lithography that has some performance bugs still in it.  

It must be clearly noted that 4c performance out the gate had a ~ 25% ~ performance bug hit built into it when it first came out.

The 4c design was easily 35% smaller though ---- it still packed a 25% memory increase and a >20% energy savings into the first samples designs, even though the processor was clearly more space efficient than previous generations.

Bugs do get worked out over time, and this will be the main core AMD intends to use going forward.   Current big little formats are rolling over towards all littles as we speak.

We are talking 12-16 cores per chiplet instead of the current 8 cores when the transformation is completed.

Then comes the next big lithography 2nm shrink and things get even better  .......

Intel talks some big talk about 18 angstroms, but we see no sign of it in testing anywhere.  

However, we can actually see AMD actually walking on down the angstrom pathway.

===================================

Intel has just jumped the shark big time.   They now claim 4nm and 3nm tiles are actually being used in Meteor Lake "Ultra" processors.   They also say they have Intel 2nm tiles coming in with Meteor Lake starting next year.

Intel is Simply Completely and Totally FULL of it ...... TSMC does not say they have any current 3nm production allocations for Intel as Intel failed to pre-pay for their last allocation slot.   IBM and Samsung are silent about this as well.

TSMC has not even produced successful sample runs for 2nm product for Apple as of yet.

Gen 3 of 3nm is having yield and performance issues that are causing Apple to back up full production on a 3nm Gen 2 generation product ....... this has been announced recently.

The current Intel fluff news is just renaming of tiles built with existing stuff with "Ultra" as a brand name.

« Last Edit: 09/30/23 at 11:28:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #81 - 09/28/23 at 17:03:38

WHAT'S NEW

TSMC and Apple are shifting down from 3rd gen 3nm to the first release 2nm for next year's state of the art production chipsets.

3nm had performance issues with all three of its corrected iterations, with lower speeds and throughputs actually making it out of the gate each time.

ASML is catching grief from TSMC and from Intel who had purchased one of each of the ASML scanner generations but never followed through on bulk multi line purchases (as did both TSMC and Samsung).

FinFET is completely done now, everything will be ribbon FET or gate all around on all items going forward.

Intel is talking future plans again.   Having just dumped their last major set of announced future plans due to "being overcome by events" Intel is planning on leveraging multiple AI subchips to try to make up for their current lacks vs AMD/TSMC which is running at some much improved lithography levels relative to Intel.

Intel is planning on making AI sub-chips for everybody as Intel sees separate AI chiplets for each particular need as being more efficient to make and assemble at the substrate level.   Intel as a vendor is working on being able to assemble various sized chiplets from everybody/anybody in their assembly plants.

Intel is building a long term plan that is actually based on China making some big assed moves and actually taking over Taiwan's TSMC.

TSMC continues to make progress on getting "dispersed geographically" by local plants in Arizona and Germany.  These plants are early functional at 5nm now and will start up a version of 3nm soon.

2nm is coming to TSMC starting next year, and it has a completely different gate all around tech base to it.

I would suggest holding off a year or so until the next waves settle in, and then PLEASE DO NOT BUY AN OLD STYLE BIG BOX WITH AN EXPENSIVE GRAPHICS CARD as that is very much past tense technology now-a-days.

APUs from AMD and Intel are the things to study up on before buying.  Yep, the little box stuff that I just bought into.

TSMC/AMD has fully matured the little box tech that I just purchased and Intel is working on their version of equivalent tech that will be flying under their new Ultra brand name.  

Powerful laptop type APUs (graphics in the CPU) are the future which is being pursued by everybody (AMD, Intel and Apple).

News from 3 days later ----- AMD core counts are all going to DOUBLE in next years planned ZEN 5 for the exact same socket size due to lithography increases and some layout changes of the newer smaller 4c style lithography cores.  

At the same time Intel will be going to using new augmented AI chiplet based FOVEROS stacked formats, so expect the core count deal to become quite murky and confusing for any new Intel products.

« Last Edit: 10/02/23 at 14:36:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 10/02/23 at 14:13:13

Let's break this latest news down a little finer and extend it to the next generation of AMD 5c BIG cores as they have popped up on the AMD roadmaps just now.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amds-mini-zen-4c-cores-explained-theyre-nothing-like-...

Yes, these new 4c and 5c processors are somewhat (25%) slower than AMD big cores (by intent)  but they are still faster than modern Intel mainframe cores currently are, so no big deal.  

Plus, AMD has completed the tech to put an entire memory layer on top of the entire 4c chiplet, so it can get back the 25% memory hit .....  plus a bunch more as the extra top layer of memory helps processing speed a lot.

Parallel processing between the crowd of processor cores on each chiplet is already faster than Intel's best and everything stays on chiplet for all of the memory access and gaming level graphics functions.

Having real built in gaming level graphics and all the various memory levels right there on the chiplet is still a big advantage to the AMD planned next generations.

Now let's talk about competing against Intel and the absolute flexibility that AMD has to whup up on Intel's proposed next generation.

"But theoretically, it would be easy enough for AMD to package, say, one of its existing eight-core Zen 4 chiplets or CCDs with a 16-core Zen 4c chiplet, and thus offer a 24-core and 48-thread CPU for the desktop that would be pretty darn compelling."  

Zen 5, anybody?

AMD's 4c stuff is in actual real production in 2023, Intel's stuff is still getting re-imagined for 2025 ..... and AMD has two more generations to pre-compete with Intel before Intel actually does anything that is real.

I see Intel scrapping more generations of announced Intel stuff as "overcome by events" at least twice more before actually building anything that is truly competitive.

« Last Edit: 10/16/23 at 09:21:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #83 - 10/16/23 at 09:15:23

In addition to the main desktop family, AMD is also said to introduce its Cezanne and Phoenix APUs for desktop platforms. These APUs will utilize the 7nm and 4nm process nodes, respectively. AMD's APUs have been AWOL from the desktop segment for a long time now. It is not confirmed if these APUs will hit DIY availability or remain an OEM-only products. The chips will share the same specs as their mobile counterparts with a mix of Zen 3 + Vega for Cezanne & Zen 4 + RDNA 3 for Phoenix APUs.

This confirms the information presented in the last two posts .......  

Yes indeed  AMD APU chipsets are indeed coming to desktops.   However, TSMC 3nm is not yet available for AMD products just yet, it is all allocated to Apple with nothing much for AMD in 2024 and nothing at all for Intel until 2025 at the soonest.

Look to see Samsung attempt to snatch some volume out of this TSMC "bobbled the ball big fumble" mess.

===================================

Wednesday, 10-18-23

Morris Chang of TSMC makes a fairly clear statement that TSMC will not bail out Intel, ever, and that Intel's recent announced TSMC plans were all BS they made up from whole cloth while Intel was busy claiming that TSMC technology was "Intel technology".

Chang also says everyone's plans for 2nm were "optimistic" and all players will stay on 3-4 nm or higher for the near future.

Morris plans to build all new chip fabs going forward in Taiwan as the cost of construction is far far lower.

Intel states that they did buy some new generation ASML machines (one per generation) and once they figure them out they will make some production chips on them.

China still looks to be planning on invading Taiwan  ......    When this happens it all goes up in the air and Samsung will be left holding the best cards for future dominance.

« Last Edit: 10/20/23 at 02:56:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 10/21/23 at 06:10:41

This is a huge image of a new roadmap showing new years worth of stuff from AMD.   Just click on it and view it in a new tab to be able to see it all.

OK, it is simpler for you to go to the source thread and read all about it.

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-5-zen-5c-epyc-cpu-turin-16-ccd-128-cores-turin-d...

And as always, AMD builds their new stuff into their mainframe chiplets first, then that plays across the entire platform as the chiplet design gets used in everything.

These chiplets are the current production approved 4nm lithography and these chiplets and the finished processors will be built and packaged at TSMC's Taiwan facilities after Apple turns loose of the assembly lines.

« Last Edit: 10/21/23 at 15:54:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #85 - 10/21/23 at 16:03:55

just changed over from dsl to 5G wifi big  difference

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #86 - 10/24/23 at 06:19:01

+1 on the 5G improvements --- I had accidentally set up my new little gaming box to connect by 5G (answered the set up questions and set it all up wirelessly instead of using Cat 5 cables).

Works great, as fast or faster than the Cat 5 hard wired connections.

Modern tech works great .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 10/29/23 at 07:37:27

https://liliputing.com/lilbits-killing-windows-10-in-2025-could-turn-millions...

Well, you heard it here first --- MS strikes out at its user base again in 2025.

Microsoft plans to continue supporting Windows 10 through 2025, after which the company expects users to move to Windows 11 (or Windows 12, if you believe the rumors). But if you have an older PC, you might not be able to upgrade the operating system due to stricter system requirements for Windows 11.

And that means that hundreds of millions of computers that are still perfectly usable could stop receiving software and security updates in a few years, making it increasingly risky to continue using them. Sure, some folks might use that as an excuse to upgrade to newer hardware… but the Public Interest Research Group (or PIRG), is calling on Microsoft to extend the support date for Windows 10 so that users aren’t forced to choose between sacrificing security or buy a new PC, effectively turning their existing hardware into eWaste.
[/color]

Linux Mint would allow you to continue using your perfectly good hardware, as will several others after they figure it all out when it gets here.

« Last Edit: 11/01/23 at 12:31:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 11/02/23 at 10:00:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/02/23 at 14:13:13:

Let's break this latest news down a little finer and extend it to the next generation of AMD 5c BIG cores as they have popped up on the AMD roadmaps just now.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amds-mini-zen-4c-cores-explained-theyre-nothing-like-...

Yes, these new 4c and 5c processors are somewhat (25%) slower than AMD big cores (by intent)  but they are still faster than modern Intel mainframe cores currently are, so no big deal.  

Plus, AMD has completed the tech to put an entire memory layer on top of the entire 4c chiplet, so it can get back the 25% memory hit .....  plus a bunch more as the extra top layer of memory helps processing speed a lot.

Parallel processing between the crowd of processor cores on each chiplet is already faster than Intel's best and everything stays on chiplet for all of the memory access and gaming level graphics functions.

Having real built in gaming level graphics and all the various memory levels right there on the chiplet is still a big advantage to the AMD planned next generations.

Now let's talk about competing against Intel and the absolute flexibility that AMD has to whup up on Intel's proposed next generation.

"But theoretically, it would be easy enough for AMD to package, say, one of its existing eight-core Zen 4 chiplets or CCDs with a 16-core Zen 4c chiplet, and thus offer a 24-core and 48-thread CPU for the desktop that would be pretty darn compelling."  

Zen 5, anybody?

AMD's 4c stuff is in actual real production in 2023, Intel's stuff is still getting re-imagined for 2025 ..... and AMD has two more generations to pre-compete with Intel before Intel actually does anything that is real.

I see Intel scrapping more generations of announced Intel stuff as "overcome by events" at least twice more before actually building anything that is truly competitive.

OK, here comes this two month old prediction coming true much sooner than expected.

You need to click on the link and read the article.

https://liliputing.com/amds-newest-ryzen-7040u-mobile-chips-feature-smaller-zen-
4c-cpu-cores/

In APU land, the Zen 4c core type is taking over already after quickly running through the various mainframe chipsets first .......

The Zen 5c generation will follow along early next year (2024) and then it will grow a performance memory layer on top to up the performance past the Zen 4 generation completely.

This will suspiciously coincide with totally laying waste to Intel's 2024-2025 upgrade generation .......

Faced with pre-existing "in production" AMD stuff that already kicks its ass, and also knowing that AMD has a brand new AI augmented generation waiting in the wings for late 2025 release good old non-competitive Intel may indeed choose to do yet another "rename the old stuff and punt" as they have done this year and last year.

It is sad that Intel's sole hope is hoping China will invade Taiwan and stop the TSMC juggernaut from rolling over them yet again.

Look for 24-32 AMD cores (2 threads per core) to become the new normal for a home PC chipset with 16-20 cores commonly available on AMD laptop products.

Look for laptop based small APUs to get even more killer powerful in the same time frame.

Watch the Beelink brandname for the best power to price selection of stuff that you can simply pick up from AMAZON with a single click.

Desktop boxes similar to what you are used to buying will disappear .....  mini boxes will take over as your main pc.

« Last Edit: 11/03/23 at 07:26:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 11/02/23 at 11:51:24

Wow, it's a poppin' all over the place now.   Folks are treating this like a big deal, so likely it is both important and powerful enough to make it big news.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/21111/amd-unveils-ryzen-7040u-series-with-zen-...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/11/amd-starts-bringing-its-own-tiny-cpu-...

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/amds-tiny-zen-4c-cores-come-t...

I have also noted whenever Intel is doing a "regroup"  (i.e. shipping the same stuff as last year with a new naming scheme) that AMD takes a small breather and tries to clean up their on their own "off stuff" while it remains clearly superior to what Intel is shipping.  

This current "regroup" sees AMD shipping a whole lot of 4c cores without the new memory layer on top of them that was planned originally to bulk up the 4c processor's throughput.   The memory cap layer isn't required because Intel is actually shipping 2 year old processor designs ...... and the AMD 4c is still equal or better than Intel's standard mainframe offerings right now.

Intel's next "improvement" due out the end of this year is to jack up their processor speeds to 6 ghz for just a very mild increase in throughput.  The cost to the consumer is 24% increase in processor wattage and associated increased cooling costs due to the extra heat this produces.  

Service life of these chipsets is getting shorter and reviewers are beginning to the track failure rates on these new pushed Intel processors during standard burn in tests.

« Last Edit: 11/03/23 at 07:24:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 03:16:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Computing in 2023

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.