Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Computing in 2023
Reply #60 - 08/11/23 at 21:19:57

I have an long standing habit of maxing out the memory on any new box that I buy.

I have found that this gives me a maximum time span before that old devil OBSOLESCENCE comes calling on me.

The cute little box swings a modern 8 core 16 thread AMD Ryzen 7 processor and it takes a lot of memory to max out the slots.

I bought 64 gigs of DDR4 Crucial systems memory.  The little box came with a 1terabyte PCIe 3.0 stick type boot drive and I then added a 2 terabyte encased SSD simply to hold my ENTIRE games library.

So, there is really nothing to add to it going forward  ........

Grin

.....  so if there are issues with all that stuff it should show up during the "send it back'" allotted time span  .......

« Last Edit: 08/13/23 at 04:48:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 08/11/23 at 21:41:16

thanks for all the insights to the industry

I bought a recycled business desktop a couple of years ago and I think it may be a couple more before I trier of it.

for what little I do with it, my chromebook is so much better.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 08/13/23 at 03:54:00

OK,

People are now asking the web experts  IF THEY DARE can they indeed replace a full sized PC ( with a moderate gaming card and specs) with the specific Beelink box that I had bought.

Here is the answer, and it is by and large YES -- YOU CAN.

And if you load up the Beelink with memory and fast drives like I did you can indeed exceed the PC box's workability in these comparison tests.

Here is the video for you to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLZUlZ-bjXA&t=110s&ab_channel=ElevatedSystems

And also note, you are plugging in a little bitty $650 loaded up to the max AMD machine that does not get all hot and bothered by Intel's inherent overheating issues and big noisy fan issues.

Another tester reports his results on a smaller unit  ........   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyopwsgUd88&ab_channel=RandomGaminginHD

« Last Edit: 08/16/23 at 08:32:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 08/14/23 at 06:32:45

Progress so far ........

Windows 11 is so far far different from Win 10 and I have been in Linux Land for so long I am pretty much a lost doggie.

However, I have both of my drives (PCie and SATA III) recognized by my little PC's Bios and it is now reporting they exist in Win 11 at their full size.  

I am now working on getting a report on my systems memory.   Like I said, I am in lost doggie mode on my Windows 11 skills.

It gives me something to do, anyway.

------ I finally found it deep inside Win 11--- I have 64 gigs of active fast systems memory.

Little PC report.

I really can't tell that it is running except for the light on the front face on the power button.

It is different stuff, it makes NO NOISE and it doesn't get hot.

The 2 fans inside of it is about the size of a 50 cent piece.

It is very very quick to do things.

The issues with Win 11 stem from my lack of Win 11 knowledge plus MS's current fixation on "out Appling" Apple  ---  i.e. changing how they do everything to visually mock Apple's methodology.

So I am fully implemented in the AMD AM4 APU level processor and AM4 memory type stuff.  So I am one generation back to the ultimate current level stuff, but that's OK, the bits and pieces didn't cost that much.  

Once upon a time I actually had a USB-1 hub sitting on my desktop that was about the same size as my little PC and made the same level of noise as my fast 3 terabyte of storage 64 gig systems memory PC does now .......

I am now hunting a game service that downloads the entire game and keeps them indexed neatly on your local drives.  Steam used to do this, but it got all complicated by being a web based service and sorta slow to download the game of the hour.  

Plus Steam likes to kick you off all the time due to several periods of inactivity.

« Last Edit: 08/24/23 at 02:19:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #64 - 08/14/23 at 20:23:58

Games .....  Games ......

There are a mort of them available to put on your local hard drive for free.

Some of these are hacked, or jailbroken games.   Some are old enough that nobody apparently cares any longer, the company went out of business, etc.

Here is a top 10 listing of where to get yer freebee games .....

Fair warning to ye me hearty, ye be a pirate now, me bucko .......

https://awbi.org/top-10-sites-to-download-free-pc-games/

I expect Win 11 to start squealing various alarms like a carnally abused Ms. Piggy very very shortly ......    so before that happens I need me some Mint on a boot-able thumb drive.   The odds of getting infected with a sociable disease just increased astronomically due to the sleazy neighborhoods in which am now cruising .....

« Last Edit: 08/16/23 at 08:00:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 08/16/23 at 07:59:29

Linux Mint supports lots of older stuff that Win 11 does not support.

Simple stuff like old thumb drives.  My drives were not recognized by Win 11 because Linux had been part of their formatting.

Yep, had to order me some brand new modern thumb drives to have a better chance of Win 11 actually supporting them.

I ordered some cheap thumb drives at 32 gig capacity for $5 each.  Times are really different (changed some to the better) when a $5 thumb drive has more capacity than my old box's hard drive used to have .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 08/16/23 at 08:26:57

As part of my Win 11 set up I had supplied my WiFi ID and password.  

I just now realized I have never run the Cat 5 cable over to the new box --- I seem to be able to run just fine over WiFi and it begs the question of me buying a new cable set.  

I think I will continue to run on WiFi until I free up the old Cat 5 cable that is running to the relatively ancient Dell box.

Shocked

« Last Edit: 08/17/23 at 09:08:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #67 - 08/17/23 at 09:07:28

Well. Intel did what folks thought they were going to do ----- they made a low performance boost "refresh" for first quarter 2024 using the same old Intel lithography, just bumping it up some in input power and in processor heat produced.

An 8% performance "improvement" which is about what the rumors last month had painted.

Next Intel generation after this one will supposedly have more cores per processor and will have at least some of the cores being actually made at TSMC.

The rub for that generation is that AMD already has enough performance to equal or beat it currently right now ........   but by then AMD will have released their own big little format of their very own and AMD have a significant core count increase and have racked up a performance upper twice over by then.

Intel is saying they will have new stuff in 2025 right now, but that new stuff always seems to get delayed and discontinued, it being Intel and all .......

==================================

There is a massive shift in PC land, away from traditional desktop formats towards the little box format.

The mobile laptop format combined processors from AMD and Intel are now where most of this combat is taking place.  

These tend to show up in laptops and the mini box PC formats, with performance that is going to lap up over the older generations of desktop gaming PCs.

Both AMD and Intel have this out there now so please be careful in your reading to make sure if you are treading on the APU turf or the desktop gaming turf .......

Intel can only break into the top area of the charts group for a very short period of time using their "best cheat of the moment" tricks, but Intel will do this periodically no matter whatever it takes to claim the throne no matter how brief that moment is.

We are at a changeover point now, choked with old box units being sold off for cheap as both players upgrade their wares very quickly.

AMD is following their published roadmaps, making up new generations of chiplets for mainframe that then get rolled into waves of ever better APU chipsets.

Intel is using daughter boards and "added feature" tricks to stay in the race.   Beware of what Intel is actually shipping as they are intentionally scrambling up their processor names to hide what they are up to.

Intel is mostly out of big fab building money now and is more or less and is falling further and further behind in their technology.

Intel is teaching us that adder sub-systems to make up for processor lacks can equal the other guy's real processor improvements, and that AI is necessary for your computing happiness.

AMD is based on TSMC and runs off of real progress, but Apple has locked up all the best TSMC production at the moment which is slowing AMD's progress at the moment.

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 08/24/23 at 01:55:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #68 - 08/20/23 at 23:43:22

My Little Box Report

Progress is slow as I keep hitting barriers thrown up by Wintel due to my having used Linux in the past.

I keep having reasons to go back to temporarily use my old machine because I am getting dumped on my over the silly little shite MS and Intel simply won't do.

Wintel is still slower doing some simple upkeep things in my new machine even though it is running on much better hardware.

I keep thinking that I could switch the box over to Linux Mint and recover quicker from that changeover than I could get Win 11 to be fully operational (if it ever got that good compared to Linux Mint Mate, that is).

Having this thought already, it will not take much of a significant new Win 11 mess up to drive me to changing over.

Huh

« Last Edit: 08/22/23 at 14:04:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 08/21/23 at 03:59:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6k0hBZR8g&ab_channel=TechNotice

Well, this fellow has attempted to impartially compare the latest crop of "comparable"  small boxes between AMD and Intel.   His English is good, but is accented somewhat.   He gets his points across, clearly enough.

Not surprisingly, AMD wins by a fair margin.

He also makes the point that big office PCs are about done at this time as the little boxes more than suffice.

Next, here is how to pick a mini PC .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGUioeht6I&ab_channel=Britec09

« Last Edit: 08/21/23 at 05:00:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #70 - 08/24/23 at 01:44:48

OK, I got my first two games cranked up on Steam and properly downloaded and running like gangbusters.

My little PC is plenty fast enough to play AAA games at full graphics levels ---  with the rub being that my reflexes are quite slow now and my gameplay tends towards stealth mode and using a totally pre-planned sneakiness style.

I die a lot, but learn from the experience and go at it another even sneakier way.  I rely on walk-throughs and cheats to make up for being all old and feeble.

« Last Edit: 08/24/23 at 15:44:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 08/24/23 at 14:21:55

What games on Steam do you play?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #72 - 08/24/23 at 15:29:40

Currently, Syberia - The World Before and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

It takes me a long time ~30+ hours~ to do a Tomb Raider game, the Syberia games are point click puzzle solvers that go a good bit quicker at closer to 15-20 hours.

I have a backlog of games that I bought that wouldn't run right on my previous hardware and I have sources now for lots of hot free games.

---- I learned that all the modern walk-throughs are all very complex web pages now-a-days.  Forget about text based walk-throughs as they do not exist any more.  Walk-throughs include big chunks of the game itself to show you just how to execute the little tricks that are needed to get past the challenge points.

Pull up the walk-through up on your Amazon Fire tablet and lay it aside until you need to refer to the walk-through for the next set of help & directions.   Play the game up on the big screen using the little AMD box until you get tired of being all lost and dead.

Then cheat some for better weapons ---- it really helps old folks like us a lot.

=================================

Warning

Walk throughs have holes in them that the good walk through correct over time.   The bad ones never get updated or corrected, especially as the game itself gets older.

About half of these holes are due to sloppy walk through writing, rather than actual game issues.

Have more that one fairly current walk through and cross compare them for the particular issue you are having.

=================================

My favorite cheat in Serious Sam was applying a cheat mod that made the rotating barrel mini gun shoot the far more powerful buckshot shells instead of FMJ rifle bullets at 1000 rounds a minute.  

I made a trench using that mini gun just shooting a trench down a rock lined street that I couldn't get down without dying from being sniped from the adjacent upper floors and around various corners.

I ducked down in the trench and extended it --- waiting until my ammo and  health had recovered then I popped up and ankle busted all the uglies that had appeared for me to shoot.

Why ankles?  Shotgun pellets bounce and ricochet off pavement very nicely and naturally do a head high expansion cone over 50 yards or so .......

Rinse and repeat until the game quits repopulating new uglies.  Ironically, the upper floor scorpion sniper uglies were relatively easy to kill compared to the Gnars and Skeletons down on the ground.

There was one plaza near the end of the game that had regeneration points (pedestals) where ammo and healing knapsacks would appear every minute.   I'd jump up on the pedestal and just stay there ---- and just change ammo type or guns periodically while waiting for the next ammo regeneration.  Mini gun to pulse laser was a good rotation with always using continuous fire which ate up the ammo and the health at about the perfect mix to come out alive at the end.

There are also other games I started but never finished (got bored and quit on them).

I also liked the No One Live Forever games for putting a scope on a cross bow then allowing the pegging of bad guys to the ground with an arrow through their outside foot.   And this at over 100 plus yards to boot.

The AI in that game would always respond verbally to being wounded ...... the Indian characters were mournfully polite but very mouthy as they slowly bled out while foot pegged to the ground.  

Aieeeee, I am wounded ......  I am hurt, I am bleeding .......   Aieeeee, it hurts so badly.

The ninja assassins were fun too as they could carry around 1-2 ninja stars sticking out of a few non-vital body parts for the rest of that level while periodically protesting very very politely "That hurts".

There was a dart gun in NOLF that had a silencer and a scope available for it that you could find or upgrade to.   Dart ammo were varied and upgrade stackable and included a nasty death gas pellet, some incendiary fire darts and one type of medical healing health dart that left a visible hypodermic needle sticking out where it hit.

« Last Edit: 08/31/23 at 18:36:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #73 - 08/31/23 at 05:59:07

RISC-V from SCI-5 has new stronger cores that run on TSMC 4nm and 3nm processes.  The designs are all Big Little going up from the small phones adding up the combo stacks of 6 core chipsets running a common local memory pool to make up some huge mainframe chipsets.

Look for a lot of phone guys to be building various equipment using this line of new RISC-V processors in response to the increased costs of post IPO ARM licenses.

==================================

Intel is still losing market share and is still losing money but relatively less quickly than last year -- i.e. they are still selling their out of date Intel technology at a loss in order to keep up market share and commitments.

Intel posted net income of $1.5 billion, or 35 cents per share, versus a net loss of $454 million, or a loss of 11 cents per share, in the same quarter last year. Revenue fell 15% to $12.9 billion from $15.3 billion a year ago, marking the sixth consecutive quarter of declining sales.

Intel is now working on coming out with Intel chiplet designs using the ideas included in these generic RISC-V processor chiplets.

This clues you in on the ever increasing cost of dealing with post IPO ARM ......

It also indicates how open Intel really is to quickly using somebody else's RISC-V ideas that happen to do something better than their ideas can do.  

Intel needs something that comes together and makes a winning combination to reverse their trend of losses vs AMD.

« Last Edit: 09/05/23 at 05:00:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 09/03/23 at 12:04:22

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/leaked-details-of-amd-ryzen-8000-12-core-ze...

By now you realize that AMD has a reliable and pretty much concrete roadmap going out 2-3 years into the future --- and if they start leaking numbers from the early test runs these results tend to be spot on (or get even slightly better as they go into full production).

Certainly the built-in APU features mentioned seem to pan out very reliably as the testing actually comes from the first mainframe core set sample runs and once these proof out runs  are in place these AMD systemic advancements then get reliably reflected everywhere AMD core sets get used.

Read this web page and understand why Intel is just now dropping out whole future Intel generations of Intel processors so so very very abruptly of late ......

AMD has recently put several iterations of Intel's future design paths into the Overcome by Events category.  Or, sadder yet, Intel is going forward with them anyway knowing they are not competitive.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/leaked-details-of-amd-ryzen-8000-12-core-ze...

« Last Edit: 09/05/23 at 05:04:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 04:55:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Computing in 2023

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.