Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Removing the Cylinder Head with Engine in Frame (Read 894 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Removing the Cylinder Head with Engine in Fram
Reply #60 - 11/23/23 at 14:40:09

DragBikeMike wrote on 01/05/21 at 15:29:12:
Now the special spilt-nut can be threaded onto the stud.  Vicegrip pliers can be used to pinch the nut on the stud and back the stud out.  This assumes that the stud wasn’t set with red Loctite, in which case you’re screwed.

Removing the right-rear stud using the split nut is a slow process.  It takes patience, but it works OK.

Great work as usual, Mike.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!  I read thru the entire process.  When I got to the part "set with red Loctite, in which case you're screwed", I realized I'd be the "you're screwed" person.  I am Murphy's Law.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #61 - 12/07/23 at 08:41:00

Mike, how do you reinstall the the studs through the head to the correct torque?  The tool (cut nut, or puller) doesn't seem like it would work.

You also mentioned in my post to remove the oil that somehow accumulated in the stud holes before reinstalling the studs.  I'm trying to understand how 1) oil gets in there and 2) how I'm going to get those studs back in there and torqued correctly.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #62 - 12/07/23 at 15:33:36

Paul, you don't torque the studs when you reinstall them.  You simply screw them in until the shoulder hits the engine case.  Should take a little over 15 turns.

Each stud has a top and a bottom.  You can identify the bottom by the shoulder on the body of the stud.  Below the shoulder there should be about 16 threads.  You want all of those threads engaged into the aluminum case to achieve adequate strength.

This is the bottom of a stud.  See the shoulder just above the threads?

Stud_Bottom.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #63 - 12/07/23 at 15:35:38

The top of the stud doesn't have a shoulder.  It only has a fillet (radius).

This is the top of a stud.  See the fillet (radius).  You want this end of the stud sticking out of the cylinder head.  If you can see that fillet, then the stud is not in all the way.  As I previously mentioned, it should take at least 15 turns to screw the stud all the way in.

Stud_Top.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 12/07/23 at 15:40:11

Oil migrates into three of the stud holes, right-front, left-rear, and left-front.  

The right-front stud and left-rear stud have dowels that are situated around the stud.  The dowel hole reduces the sealing surface between the dowel hole and the bore in the engine case.  There is almost no sealing surface, so oil migrates across the gasket and collects in the stud hole.

See how narrow the sealing surface is.

Gasket_Sealing_Area_Dowels.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #65 - 12/07/23 at 15:41:59

The left-front stud hole is also utilized as an oil drain.  Oil from the cylinder head drains back to the crankcase via the left-front stud hole.  As such, the stud hole fills with oil.

Mn_Brg_Yel_Bal_Brg_Grn.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #66 - 12/07/23 at 15:56:53

Ironically, the right-rear stud is the only stud that terminates within the confines of the engine.  The right-rear head nut is inside the head cover, so it is continuously bathed in oil.  The copper washer under the head nut should seal that off and prevent oil from leaking into the stud hole.  But the right-rear stud is also exposed to atmosphere via an opening in the back of the cylinder.  You can actually see the right rear stud if you look at the back of the cylinder.

Since the right-rear stud is exposed to atmosphere, it is also exposed to weather, and pressure washers, and garden hoses, etc.  I never wash my bike, I give it a sponge bath from time to time (not nearly enough but it's not a beauty queen, it's a test lab).

So, your concern on the right-rear stud is water.  It will be wise to also suck that stud hole out before reinstalling the studs.

There is no guarantee that you will be able to remove the two rear studs.  If they are super-stuck in their stud holes from corrosion or Loctite or some other sealant, you won't be able to break them loose.  If that's the case, you won't be any worse off.  You will have to pull the whole motor.  But if you can get them out using the split nut method, I think it will make the job easier for you.  I prefer working on the top end with the engine in the frame.  It's very stable and there's plenty of access to everything.  Out on the bench you need an engine stand, and the darned thing is heavy and tall.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #67 - 12/07/23 at 17:28:31

Thank you, Mike!  I obviously didn’t realize the studs don’t get torqued but can get stuck in there as bad as if they were torqued!  I sincerely appreciate your time in helping a knob like me!!  And given my bad back, I would also prefer to try doing this with the motor in the frame.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 12/07/23 at 20:01:20

DragBikeMike wrote on 12/07/23 at 15:56:53:
 But the right-rear stud is also exposed to atmosphere via an opening in the back of the cylinder.  You can actually see the right rear stud if you look at the back of the cylinder.

Since the right-rear stud is exposed to atmosphere, it is also exposed to weather, and pressure washers, and garden hoses, etc.

So, your concern on the right-rear stud is water.  It will be wise to also suck that stud hole out before reinstalling the studs.

I have cleaned/pressure washed an old engine to get the gunk off prior to taking it apart.  I got it washed and used an electric bike blow drier to get the water out of the fins and other parts.  The engine was moved into the garage and up on my work bench.  It was about a week later when I finally got it apart and removed the head and cylinder.  Even after a week of being up on my work bench, there was still water down in the void around the right rear cylinder stud?

I do wash my bike frequently.....I love a clean bike!  However - I never put my bike away wet after washing.  Not only does the right rear stud hold water - the top of the cylinder head, wiring and connectors all can stay wet for long periods of time if you just wash the bike and shove it into the garage and shut the door.  I always take my bike on a ride after washing and get it up to operating temperature and up to speed to dry things out.

The right rear stud can also be an issue with an oil leak if you don't get the copper washer/nut sealed.  One of our members developed a leak there after he re-torqued the head as Suzuki recommends.....on this forum we don't recommend that or believe it is necessary on the Savage - if you do a good job on the first torque it isn't necessary to go back and do it over later.

« Last Edit: 12/08/23 at 03:19:06 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #69 - 12/08/23 at 16:58:53

Hard to beat a pristine bike Dave, and yours always fits the bill.  It's too darned pretty to leave dirty.  Sounds like your dry-up regimen gets the job done.

I thought it would be fun to see how easy it would be to throw together a super-simple stud remover.  I heard mention of coupling nuts, so I decided to explore that.

Turns out M9 x 1.25 coupling nuts are unobtanium.  But howsabout M8 x 1.25 coupling nuts.  Same pitch, might be helpful.  These are M8 x 1.25 coupling nuts.  They cost $2.79 a copy.

M8_x_1_25_Cplg_Nuts.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #70 - 12/08/23 at 16:59:33

They are 24mm long.

Length_24mm.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #71 - 12/08/23 at 17:02:52

So, if I were to drill and tap one side of the coupling nut M9 x 1.25, I could use a M8 x 1.25 socket head screw in the other half of the nut to jam against the stud.

The tap drill for M9 x 1.25 is 5/16".  Mark the drill with some tape so I know when it's gone in about 12mm (half the coupling nut).

Mark_Drill_12mm.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #72 - 12/08/23 at 17:03:25

Grab the coupling nut in a vice.

Hold_Nut_in_Vice.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #73 - 12/08/23 at 17:08:37

Drill to a depth of 12mm.  Gotta keep the drill straight.  If you really want to do a nice job, drill in small increments.  For instance, start with a 9/32" drill, then increase drill size to 19/64", then finish up with 5/16".  I just went right off with a 5/16".  Worked good but not perfect.

Drill_12mm_Deep.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #74 - 12/08/23 at 17:11:03

Use a M9 x 1.25 tap.  These Irwin taps are cheap and readily available.  Amazon, ebay, etc.

M9_x_1_25_Tap.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:20:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing the Cylinder Head with Engine in Frame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.