Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear brake light cable issue (Read 56 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear brake light cable issue
12/23/23 at 11:50:37

Hey savages,

While fixing a bend in the rear petal adjuster today, I went to put the footrest bracket back on.. connected the cables and clevis pins, but when awkwardly forcing the footrest/petal brackets back into the lower motor mounts, the rear brake light cable pulled out of the small circular clip that connects it to the back of the petal -- I'm assuming this happened because I failed to loosen the brake light switch cable due to lazyness.

Any ideas for how to rejoin this connection? I'm sure the clip is cheap but wondering if there are any insights here.

Appreciated

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear brake light cable issue
Reply #1 - 12/23/23 at 13:03:54

there's a little plastic collar that ages and will strip when a little stress is placed upon it.

Just push the cable end thru the metal clip and wrap a wire around it to keep it in place.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/23/23 at 13:41:43

Thanks for the reply vers,

This is where it broke off, the cable just went right through that hole. When you mentioned securing it with a wire how did you mean?

Appreciated

MTA3MTA1OTU-172b89022.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/23/23 at 15:26:20

you have to replace that collar.
just take a short bit of paper clip and bend around the wire like Ɣ

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/23/23 at 15:38:06

Ahhhhhh I see what you mean like a stiff wire that can act kinda like a washer or something. Thanks vers. Maybe I could cut a cotter pin or something.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/24/23 at 06:55:03

Sorry about that Philly!  But maybe your mishap will keep me from being a cob and making the same blunder.  What are you working on?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/24/23 at 13:47:48

My foot pegs were pretty beat up, replaced them with stock Sportster pegs (using an M6  head cap bolt and a spacer but needed to adjust the break pedal height to compensate for the smaller form factor of the Sportster pegs.

Upon attempting to adjust the pedal height I found that not only the adjustment bolt was bent but also the bung that it attached to was bent enough that even with a new bolt would not align with the pedal so that height couldn't be adjusted.

The brake petal mounting brackets are very expensive on partzilla, on eBay they are relatively cheap but many are in questionable shape -- as in just as bent as mine was.

Anyway I pulled it off put it in a vise heated it with a heat gun, put on some gloves and bent it by hand back into shape. The threads are a little screwed up but I'm able to thread a new bolt and keep using it -- need a longer bolt though, it's still too high.

When putting it back on I just didn't loosen the break light cable out of lazyness and stripped that coller.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/25/23 at 03:20:06

Gyrobob just posted that he has stock parts available from his RYCA builds.  Both bikes were in great shape when they did the conversion.

Hit him up and see if he has the parts you need.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 15:02:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake light cable issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.