Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Removing the Cylinder Head with Engine in Frame (Read 894 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Removing the Cylinder Head with Engine in Fram
Reply #75 - 12/08/23 at 17:12:20

Cut the threads.  When the tap hits the M8 threads at the half-way point, stop, don't force it.

Tap_M9_x_1_25_x_12mm_deep.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #76 - 12/08/23 at 17:13:08

Then chase the other side with a M8 x 1.25 to remove any burrs.

Chase_Original_Threads_M8_x_1_25.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #77 - 12/08/23 at 17:17:54

Now you have a stud remover.  The coupling nut will thread on to the stud at least 9mm, which should give you enough engagement to handle a pretty good load from tightening a jam bolt.  It should also provide enough thread engagement to develop the friction required turn the stud.  A M8 x 1.25 socket head cap bolt about 15mm to 20mm long will work fine as a jam bolt.

Installed_on_Stud_8mm_Socket_Head_Bolt.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #78 - 12/08/23 at 17:18:45

It looks like it will fit nicely on the right-rear stud.

Right_Rear_Looks_Good.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #79 - 12/08/23 at 17:19:17

Left-rear looks good too.

Left_Rear_Looks_Good.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #80 - 12/08/23 at 17:20:31

I tightened it up to jam the tool on a stud, then marked it.

Marked_for_test.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 12/08/23 at 17:21:33

Gave the old vice the super squeeze using a cheater bar.  Wanted to have a good bite on the stud.

Super_Clamp_Stud.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #82 - 12/08/23 at 17:25:00

When I tried to break the tool loose, the whole stud turned in the vice.  The marks on the coupling nut and stud stayed in alignment.  That seemed impressive, but when I set up some tools to make sure the stud couldn't rotate, the removal tool broke loose at about 120 inch-lbs.  That's not too impressive but I suspect it should be good enough.

Marks_remain_aligned_Stud_slips.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #83 - 12/08/23 at 17:26:55

There ya go, a quick & dirty tool for just a few bucks.  

Go for it Paul.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #84 - 12/08/23 at 17:37:07

Thanks Mike!  I really appreciate your help!!  I need to see if I can replicate this gadget.  I'm waiting on parts and for my mechanic friend to get some time, so it may be the new year before we go for it.  Now's a good time for me to see if I can replicate your extractor!  

I was just reading your cam comparison article.  I'm amazed by your work!!

Thanks again!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #85 - 12/09/23 at 07:00:13

Mike, I’m finding M8-1.25 coupling nuts on Amazon in varying lengths including the 24mm length you used (all are stainless steel).  The 24mm looks like a good length from your pictures.  There are 40mm available and I'm ondering if that would be too long to work (since working under the frame while the motor is still in the bike).  Any thoughts on that?  Any benefit to making a longer version (like 40mm)?

And what the heck is wrong with Suzuki!?  Why the heck a M9-1.25P?  You can find M8 and M10 common stuff everywhere!

« Last Edit: 12/09/23 at 08:29:11 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #86 - 12/09/23 at 10:46:03

Paul, the longer coupling nuts will be fine, but the stainless steel is hard to drill & tap.  I think you would be better off using regular steel coupling nuts.  The longer lengths are fine and will allow better access for your wrenches.

If I can get the coupling nuts all the way out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, you can certainly find some in Houston.  Try Googling "fastener supply near me".  I found a bunch in Houston.  These are just a few.

Bayou Fastener & Supply
Bayou City Bolt
Northwest Fastener
Dale Fastener Supply

I got mine from a local hardware store called City Mill.  They have a decent selection of fasteners, better than outfits like Home Depot or Lowes, but not as good as what you should have in TX given all the industry in your area.

Regarding 8mm vs 9mm.  The OEM used the 9mm studs for strength.  It was probably the largest fastener they could fit into the design, taking into consideration wall thickness of the threaded holes in the case.  The designers needed to come up with a fastener that could be safely stressed to a level that is sufficient to restrain the cylinder head during the power stroke.  The pressure is extreme and applied over a large area.  That pressure is trying to blow the head right off.  The combined force applied by the studs must exceed the force resulting from combustion pressure, and there must be a reasonable factor of safety (probably 200%).  Those studs are special.  They are a reduced-body constant-strength design with nice fillets on each end.  I'm sure they are top-grade alloy steel.  Don't nick them or chew them up in any way.  Don't grab them with vice grips, or file on them.  Note that when I grabbed the stud in my vice, I had aluminum in the jaws to keep from chewing up the stud.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #87 - 12/09/23 at 11:19:06

Thanks Mike.  I can find M8 and M10 all day long no problem.  I was really interested in your thoughts on 40mm vs 24mm length and the 40mm still being able to work (fit) under the frame without having obstruction of the ratchet (or wrench).  

I did reach out to a local custom fastener supply store to see if they have a M9-1.25P coupling nut anywhere from 24-40mm length.  This would spare us the fun of drilling and tapping out an M8 into an M9 on one end.  Then just buy a M9-1.25 socket jab bolt about 15-20mm long to go with it.

Of course, my tap and dye set conveniently omits anything M9.  Suzuki should have found room for a measly 1mm and installed M10s!! Rant over!

« Last Edit: 12/09/23 at 13:59:58 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #88 - 12/09/23 at 19:05:45

Paul, it dawned on me that you could use a 5/16-18 coupling nut.  It would work fine.  Just drill & tap one side for the M9 x 1.25 stud, and use a 5/16-18 socket head bolt for the jam bolt.  Should work just fine, and the SAE coupling nut should be a lot easier to find than the metric.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #89 - 12/09/23 at 20:38:32

If I can’t find a M9-1.25 coupling nut, I’ll tap out a one of the more available whether it’s M8 or some SAE size.  I’m going to see if this local fastener company has a M9 before I start fabricating it. Thanks for all your help and ideas!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:52:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing the Cylinder Head with Engine in Frame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.