Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Cafe Build (Read 2337 times)
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Re: Cafe Build
Reply #45 - 06/10/19 at 17:44:32

Update: still waiting on two parts before I can fully wire but I got started running the handlebar wires. Also the seats basically done. Pic of the butt rest not included, didn't come out as well as I'd like and I'm still toying with the idea of just resewing a cover for it.

Pics ---> https://imgur.com/a/0Ao6kBN

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #46 - 06/17/19 at 20:54:51

Got my m.unit today and started wiring. Ive cut out everything to do with the side stand and run wires for the ignition/decomp system. Everything fires nicely. Pic included is a rough idea of what I have going, the key switch will have to change so that it gives power to the m.unit ignition but I'm okay with that. The goal was to use the m.unit and revivalcycles starter solenoid while keeping the key switch, a simple flip switch under the seat, and the clutch switch as safety/must be engaged to start the bike.

Tomorrow I'll clean up this system and finalize wire/cdi/controller positions and start running lights and controls. Hopefully I'll get to do my shakedown before I leave for a 3 week work trip on Thursday.

0617192209_HDR.jpg
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #47 - 06/26/19 at 05:13:37

Great job!
Since the Motone switches are momentary, how did you do with the hi\lo beam and the stop\run button?

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #48 - 07/04/19 at 16:13:26

Hi/lo is one button and start is one button. Im using an m.unit so the logic is taken care of.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #49 - 07/10/19 at 15:45:09

Ok! Finally back from a work trip and its time to trouble shoot the bike. Currently I can get it to turn the starter over and somehow got it to fire a few times but it won't run. I have no idea what I'm missing or why it will fire every once in awhile but won't stay running.

My first thought was the spark plug boot didnt make it all the way back on but if that was the case it would never fire. Wiring is a bit different than OEM but unless something is supposed to be getting power all the time in the ignition/decomp circuit I'm out of ideas there.

One note is the neutral light is not coming on. No clue what thats about either. Thoughts?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #50 - 07/10/19 at 20:12:24

My thought is ,why you do think we would know anything about your wiring or an M-unit ?   I would say that there needs to be two sources of power to the ignition ,one from the battery for starting, and another from the regulator /rectifier when running . My other thought is I hope you never have a problem on the road with this system,  how would you attempt to fix it? sorry but I think you turned a mole hill into a mountain  with this project.  But I wish you luck.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #51 - 07/11/19 at 18:54:29

Ignoring most of that, what I'm getting is in the OEM wiring there's 12v going from the sidestand relay, through the engine stop switch and constantly powering the ignitor when the bike is on? This would be a pretty easy fix, just send 12v from the m.units aux to the ignitor. I'll give this a shot in the morning when the rain is gone.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #52 - 07/12/19 at 06:30:21

Well the m unit site said that it comes with complete instructions , did they lie?  The point I was trying to make is I don't have them to read so how could I advise you . the single line diagram you provided ,is not labeled  enough to even read , or begin to understand . sorry if you thought I was being rude , but I don't see the m unit as much of an up grade , If one of the circuits trip it won't reset until the fault is FOUND AND REPAIRED  ,how does this help you ?  You have 10 breakers that can't even be manually reset. If your bike dies in the middle of nowhere ,that's where you'll be.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #53 - 07/12/19 at 07:02:58

The instructions don't help much when it comes to wiring a "cdi" or ignitor. If you're running a bobber wiring loom then its a bit simpler. Why would the circuit ever trip? Once everythings tidied up there will be no shorts and any trips would come from alot of abuse. At that point finding the culprit is a matter of running down the loom and finding whats frayed or otherwise jacked up.

I appreciate your concern with the project but I certainly dont appreciate the snideness. After reading through some other projects you seem to have the idea that if its not what you think is "right" you have the space here to talk down on people and some really cool projects have up and vanished. If someone else wants to bring an m.unit into their project I hope they can use this as a baseline, I'm certainly not the first to use it on a savage. Likewise I wish there was still a certain someone around to talk to about a working supercharger on a savage. Pointless and over the top or not, not everyone wants the same bike they started with and thats what makes this platform so beautiful.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #54 - 07/12/19 at 15:07:03

Ok so supplying constant 12v to the ignitor via the O/W wire is not the solution, at least not in this configuration. I may have to rewire to keep the decomp and the ignitor circuits separate even though they are tied through the starter switch on the OEM diagram. Constructive thoughts are more than welcome.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #55 - 07/12/19 at 15:41:24

ZSteele wrote on 07/12/19 at 15:07:03:
Ok so supplying constant 12v to the ignitor via the O/W wire is not the solution, at least not in this configuration. I may have to rewire to keep the decomp and the ignitor circuits separate even though they are tied through the starter switch on the OEM diagram. Constructive thoughts are more than welcome.

Maybe this thread will help you...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1516980416

The ignitor is not powered thru the decomp timer.

WWW   IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #56 - 07/14/19 at 10:17:29

Ok, went through that thread (thanks Versy!), the OEM plans, this particularly informative thread (suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262917566/3#3) and cross referenced them to my plans. The ignitor DOES need constant 12v via the O/W from the OEM killswitch. I have removed OEM controls and I do want multiple failsafes to start the bike.

Attached pic is the new plan. Killswitch and key are not included but the killswitch will be to cut power to the ignitor and the key will be to cut power to the m.unit. The only other weird thing (besides the m.unit) is the starter solenoid. Im using the revival cycles all in one that has a fuse built in.

Also the green with x's was a mistake, disregard that. Colors should be the same or close to the OEM diagrams for easier viewing. I'll post again once I've rewired.

0714191307_HDR.jpg
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #57 - 07/15/19 at 13:56:49

All aboard the hype train, this build has an end in sight. New diagram works perfect and retains the key, clutch and a hidden "kill switch" as safety nets to starting it. Thanks to Batman for pointing out the ignitor needs power all the time. In my first wiring supplying it with power off the circuit ended up powering the starter and God knows what else so rewiring was a must. More to follow as I work through rewiring the front end, I went ahead and switched to the much nicer ryca coupons.

For anyone worrying about fuses and such: the starter solenoid has a fuse built in and the m.unit has individual fuses to every part connected. In the event that one trips the m.unit tells you which fuse has gone and its a simple matter of running down the harness and finding the fault.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #58 - 07/16/19 at 00:20:21

Sometimes you find help in the rudest places  Smiley , but when I said good luck, that wasn't sarcasm.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #59 - 07/16/19 at 13:53:40

Protip: if you are deciding between clipons or clubmans, clubmans are a pain to wire through the bars, use clipons. Going to have to run new clutch/brake/throttle cables. The throttle looks like trimming and resoldering would be the easiest route. The brake line needs a 90° banjo, does anyone know the bolt size?

0716191647_HDR.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 09:45:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.