Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie here- salvage title worth it?? Pls advise!! (Read 102 times)
tphills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie here- salvage title worth it?? Pls advise!!
05/12/22 at 12:46:41

Hi all! Thanks for the add. To preface, sorry if I'm in the wrong area or any of that. Read basics and such, but...yeah. For first timers of course any forum can be a bit overwhelming. Skip this next paragraph (context of question) if you just want to get into the question.

So. For background/context, I am a big car guy. Mechanically capable. No expert but I certainly know a few things here and there. I would occasionally get the itch for a bike. Never had one. Dad always advised against it because we all live in Fairfield County CT and it's just a dangerous area to have a bike and commute/highway on it (he's had many over the years but not currently). In the last year I sold my street cars in favor of a truck and a race car because I'd just rather go to the track now than do dumb stuff on the street. That being said, I now very much so miss having something fun for the backroads and chill cruises, but I do not want to have another $$ street car. Want to keep things cheap. Plus I only have a single car garage which has my race car. So after riding with my brother to a cars and coffee a couple weeks ago, the itch for a bike came back strong, as it was a gorgeous Sunday morning and roads were clear and there were a ton of bikes there. So I've been browsing bikes and doing my research again, but as I said I can't put a lot of money into one right now....

Fast forward to a week ago. I was talking to a family friend about this and he said he sold his 2014 S40  B. awhile back to another friend, who still has it, wants to get rid of it, and would give it to me suuuper cheap. Looked into em and honestly they seem like really great bikes to have, plus also good for a first bike. And exactly what I'm looking for. Needless to say I've been looking into savages and I'm hooked. The issue is that it's a salvage title. Guy is older/definitely not techy, but the 2 pics he sent the bike looks super clean and has 5.5k miles.

As my family friend put it, the owner says the salvage title is a big issue and "It needs front forks" and obviously that costs more than the bike is worth (guessing that means seals are probably leaking..?). But before that, they could never figure out why it was salvage, aka they never found something wrong with it and it rode and ran fine. Kind of unclear if it was salvage from the forks or something else, haven't had time to actually talk strictly about this bike. Obviously I'd look at and inspect it thoroughly before buying anyways, but yeah.

I know to register it I'd have to take before and after pics, have receipts, etc etc, get the inspection blah blah blah. My question is: Does anyone know if the front forks would have to be brand new to pass salvage inspection? Could they be aftermarket? Could I just rebuild them myself? Has anyone done any of these, or does anyone have experience getting a salvage S40? My thought process is that if I can get this bike for $1k or less (would also love recommendations on how much to pay for it, if anything at all lol) do the work myself, pass the inspection, I could have a really nice cruiser bike to learn on and just enjoy when I can, for a fraction of the price and some sweat equity....Please advise! Maybe I will actually be joining this community soon  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Newbie here- salvage title worth it?? Pls advi
Reply #1 - 05/12/22 at 13:17:14

Here's the deal with salvage bikes... and you'll have to double check your state, mine is calif.

If you wreck the bike, insurance all ready paid once for the bike and it won't do it again.  So any repairs will be your responsibility.  You just have to get insurance for liability and your health.

If it was wrecked and you bought the scrap, you have to get it inspected.
In calif. you have get brakes and lights inspected. Lights work... check.  Brakes they look and the pads and the indicator on the brake lever and the height of the pedal.  I have mine adjusted low so I don't lock it up as often... and they commented but didn't do anything.  The check was a bit over $100 ten? years ago.  probably 2 now.

Then you have to get the DMV to check.  I didn't see them eveball anything other than the VIN, but who knows?  I'd make it as stock as possible, you can change it later.

Forks, if it was wrecked, most likely they are bent.  Replacements can be had on fleabay and elsewhere.  That's the easiest way to go.

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 05/12/22 at 23:49:52

My 2cents:
If you haven't ridden before, the last bike I'd buy is a salvage. Buy something that's cheap and runs now, get some miles under you and decide if that's what you want. Sell it if your itch is scratched.
Buy a salvage in October, put it on the road in April.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/13/22 at 03:45:11

What Versy said about the "Salvage" is also true in Kentucky.  For some reason an insurance company paid off the bike as "total loss" rather than have it repaired.  The "salvage" title is a way for everyone to know an insurance company deemed the bike too expensive to repair and paid the owner whatever the "loss/value" was.  It really doesn't take much damage for an insurance company to deem a motorcycle (or car) totaled.  The value they place on the bike/car is often very low, and parts/labor prices are currently very high.

A friend of mine bought a full sized late model Harley that had been hit in the back by a car and the insurance company totaled it.  The damage was rear fender and lights, saddlebags, etc.  For about $1,000 in parts he had it back on the road and looking like new - but the bike will always have the blemish of a "salvage" title and the resale value will likely be affected.  We have a local car lot that buys salvage cars and repairs them - unfortunately you are never sure why the original vehicle was totaled and that scares me as the vehicle could have been in a flood or major accident.

I am currently working on a Savage that was a theft recovery and it has a salvage title.  The insurance company paid it off and then later it was recovered.  I paid $500 for the lot from an auto salvage yard and the bike was partially dismantled and was missing the fuel tank, speedometer and seat - but there was an extra engine.   The resale value and blemish on the title are not important to me as the bike is going to be my "over the hill" motorcycle that I use when all the other bikes are too heavy for me to ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 05/13/22 at 08:42:19

I would vote that salvage title is OK.

I live in PA.  Laws about the same here as above.  

My -07 S40 was totaled about 10 years ago.  Gas tank dented, front fender bent up, forks askew, pegs and brake lever bent up, busted headlight.  

I bought the remains from insurance company for cheap (I don't remember, maybe $50 ? ).

For inspection, it just had to pass like a normal inspection( brakes work, lights work, horn, etc)  it did NOT have to be like new at all.  They did require at least some reciepts.  (I bought a new front fender and headlight guts on ebay plus rattle cans.)

I don't think I had more than $200 plus my time in the repairs.   Probably should have bought a new tank, but decided to bondo the dents.  

I did the repairs myself (I am not a pro at all).  As I remember:

Bondo'd up the tank dent + rattle can
Loosened up fork clamps and fork tubes moved back into place.
Put in new headlight bulb, bondo'd up headlight bucket and painted flat black
fabricated a new rear brake lever, pegs from scrap.

All the chrome parts I had to repair I just painted flat black.   Mine S 40 is pearl white, I got a used fender that color, but I just painted the tank repair Rust-Oleum white.  It's not a great match, but I don't care.  

It doesn't look too great, but it looks OK.

I didn't have any trouble with the enhanced inspection.  As far as I could see it was the same as the regular annual inspection except a lot more paperwork.  

I'm still riding it.  I keep thinking about getting another bike, but as you may have surmised, I'm cheap.  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
tphills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/17/22 at 08:03:45

verslagen1 wrote on 05/12/22 at 13:17:14:
Here's the deal with salvage bikes... and you'll have to double check your state, mine is calif.

If you wreck the bike, insurance all ready paid once for the bike and it won't do it again.  So any repairs will be your responsibility.  You just have to get insurance for liability and your health.

In calif. you have get brakes and lights inspected. Lights work... check.  Brakes they look and the pads and the indicator on the brake lever and the height of the pedal.  I have mine adjusted low so I don't lock it up as often... and they commented but didn't do anything.  The check was a bit over $100 ten? years ago.  probably 2 now.

Then you have to get the DMV to check.  I didn't see them eveball anything other than the VIN, but who knows?  I'd make it as stock as possible, you can change it later.

Forks, if it was wrecked, most likely they are bent.  Replacements can be had on fleabay and elsewhere.  That's the easiest way to go.

hmmmm. I still am a bit in the dark on the info, but apparently the forks were not the reason it was made a salvage in the first place... I have to ask if he has the insurance letter from why. Bike has been sittin, its from years ago clearly.

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/17/22 at 10:48:02

verslagen1 wrote on 05/12/22 at 13:17:14:

If the forks are bent, the frame may also be bent.  This could make the bike 'dog walk' down the road:  An undesirable condition.

« Last Edit: 05/18/22 at 07:53:50 by buster6315 »  
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #7 - 05/18/22 at 07:18:46

IF the bike is truly salvaged, then the re-registration work is already completed and the title will say "salvage" on it.

It its just jacked up and totaled, and paid out, then its considered "junked" by the DMV and its a bunch of work to get it on the road again.  If the forks are trashed I would question if its really already salvaged.

Maybe make sure what it really is.

Salvage is not that big of a deal for a cheap motorcycle.  For something more expensive its tougher because no bank will loan against it, so cash sales only pretty much (or personal loans).

WWW   IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/24/22 at 11:50:56

I second what Spamy says. In Florida if it already HAS a salvage title then somebody has been through the steps to get a "totaled" bike inspected and titled. I don't know how expensive or cheap bikes are where you are but I bought my 2011 abandoned and non-runner S40 with a CLEAN title for $400 here in Miami. Turned out it didn't start due to a bad clutch switch! Anyway, at least for me, if the bike was cheap and straight I would not be afraid to buy a bike with a salvage title - as long as a comparable runner with a clean title could not be had as cheaply!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 05:45:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie here- salvage title worth it?? Pls advise!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.