YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cafe Build
Reply #30 - 05/24/19 at 07:01:15

ZSteele wrote on 05/24/19 at 06:32:59:
That doesnt sound too bad either, the bike is already on a jack, I'm guessing in that case just remove fork caps and center nut?

Yep....just be ready for the strong "push" from the fork caps as you remove them - the forks springs have some "pre-load" built in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #31 - 05/24/19 at 10:41:26

Some preload is an understatement!  Haha.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #32 - 05/24/19 at 16:36:18

Update album incoming this evening.

For you veteran cafe riders what is the necessity of a rear fender if the hoop is past the wheel midline? I have the electronics tray and underhump area walled in so spray wouldn't harm anything electric and I'm unsure if the spray would get all the way up to me. Thoughts/experiences?

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #33 - 05/24/19 at 17:06:42

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #34 - 05/24/19 at 18:12:19

ZSteele wrote on 05/24/19 at 16:36:18:
Update album incoming this evening.

For you veteran cafe riders what is the necessity of a rear fender if the hoop is past the wheel midline? I have the electronics tray and underhump area walled in so spray wouldn't harm anything electric and I'm unsure if the spray would get all the way up to me. Thoughts/experiences?

The box will probably be fine.  But on wet days you will get some spray on your back.  Especially at lower speeds like under 20mph.  

You can install a fender or put your license plate there to deflect some of the spray. Or just dont ride when its wet.

WWW   IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #35 - 05/24/19 at 18:50:25

I try not to ride in the rain but if I go on a worktrip this summer I might have no choice. Still unsure exactly how I'll mount the license plate. Id like to have it tucked up under against the frame but depending on the interpretation of "visible" I might need to mount it on the back of the hoop, thus eliminating spray.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 05/25/19 at 03:00:50

My bike has the RYCA seat pan, and a smallish front fender.

If you ride in the rain, you will get water thrown all over you.  The rear tire throws water on my back, on my neck and helmet - you throw a rooster tail of water up your backside.  The front wheel splits the water on the road and directs a spray of water onto each boot on the pegs, and a 2" wide line of water forward off the top of the front tire that hits you in the visor and also leaves a nice line of water down the front of your jacket.

Riding a Cafe' bike in the rain is a miserable experience.....and unfortunately we always seem to find at least one rain storm when we go riding in the mountains for a few days - the afternoon showers are a common event in the summer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #37 - 06/04/19 at 08:36:52

Been a bit since the last update. Still waiting on the rest of the electronics but hopefully Ill have them by this weekend.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/K6NP8d3

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #38 - 06/06/19 at 16:06:08

Finally stopped being lazy and put the new headlamp, signals and brackets on. Seems to give the bike a stretched feeling, but maybe that's just me.

http://imgur.com/a/ZxfGXds. <----pics

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #39 - 06/06/19 at 19:34:39

Nice progress.  Its coming along pretty good.

Im anxious to see the final product.  

Ive never seen a paint job like that.  I was like, "ew what is that", then "oh wait thats cool", lastly "Im confused but I cant wait to see it all together". Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Noble_Savage
YaBB Newbies

I know a thing or
two about a thing or
two.

Fresno, CA
Reply #40 - 06/07/19 at 11:05:31

Impressive work! I'm considering running clubmans. How do you like your setup? Any clearance issues with the stock tank?

2016 S40 15k miles; Emgo reverse cone muffler, removed airbox door, rejet, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #41 - 06/07/19 at 16:31:40

Theres a delicate place where the tank has to be positioned squarely and the bars have to be at a certain angle/rotation. But if you get it right theres no clearance issue, with the stock foot controls my knees are a bigger problem than the tank! Truthfully I'd go with clipons if I were to do it again, and I might swap to them when I get rearsets on either way.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #42 - 06/07/19 at 16:35:00

TIL stapling really doesnt work on fiberglass, waiting on the glue to dry. Also stitching by hand is quite tedious. But its starting to look like a bike!

32325.jpeg
  IP Logged
Noble_Savage
YaBB Newbies

I know a thing or
two about a thing or
two.

Fresno, CA
Reply #43 - 06/10/19 at 07:46:43

ZSteele wrote on 06/07/19 at 16:31:40:
Theres a delicate place where the tank has to be positioned squarely and the bars have to be at a certain angle/rotation. But if you get it right theres no clearance issue, with the stock foot controls my knees are a bigger problem than the tank! Truthfully I'd go with clipons if I were to do it again, and I might swap to them when I get rearsets on either way.

Thanks! my next question would have been about running the forward controls with lower bars. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I feel a bit compressed with the stock setup. I just flipped my risers around and it's a bit better. I can't imagine being 6' 2" and riding with clipons and forward controls.

2016 S40 15k miles; Emgo reverse cone muffler, removed airbox door, rejet, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #44 - 06/10/19 at 08:04:30

Where they are now is still fairly upright seating for me. If i go to rear controls ill have to run super low clip ons for ergonomic purposes. The stock forwards feel like pretty much perfect mids for me, ie my knees form basically a 90° parallel with the ground.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 13:48:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.