Cafe Build (Read 2337 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Cafe Build
Reply #120 - 11/06/19 at 09:22:45

Well...new piston (timing chain?? compression??), new wiring (spark?), new carb (fuel??), new exhaust (probably a nonfactor until it runs)....you have a lot going on here.

Are you getting it to fire at all or just turning over?

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #121 - 11/06/19 at 11:58:56

I'm pretty sure its firing, got it to give me one putputput but other than that its just turning over and giving me the one put. I can check for spark by placing the sparkplug on the engine correct?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #122 - 11/06/19 at 12:37:36

Maybe you could try some fogging oil in the cylinder to aid compression, and protect the new piston/rings from damage  until you get it running(oil pressure comes up) and the rings have a chance to start seating . I'd also change the fuel to high octane , it delays ignition which is what you want when starting (so does your TDI ignition delay at startup if you have it wired correctly ). It might be smart to return to the CV carb and exhaust until you have the bike up and running, right now you have to many variables.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #123 - 11/06/19 at 13:13:35

Would the fogging oil just get sprayed into the intake port? I can slap the cv on but the pipe is a nogo, midcontrols interfere with the pipe and also I cut it up to try and make it work before I said F it I'll just use the fcaw and wrap my pipe. 😬

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #124 - 11/06/19 at 13:16:46

A quick joojle says in through the carb and the sparkplug hole?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #125 - 11/06/19 at 15:21:04

Be sure to wear hearing protection when you start that bike. That just might be the loudest bike on the planet.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #126 - 11/06/19 at 16:44:47

What?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #127 - 11/06/19 at 16:47:32

the sparkplug hole is the normal way, not the intake ,  with the carb in place ,you might end up with a sticking slide .

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #128 - 11/06/19 at 17:11:27

Thanks bat, I'll check connectors tonight and grab fogging oil in the am if no luck.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #129 - 11/06/19 at 19:05:51

Spark is good, gave it a few more turns and it really wants to go, I think fogging oil or just switching to the high octane gas is the key here. More to follow in the a.m.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #130 - 11/06/19 at 22:07:36

Continued cranking with the choke on may wash any oil from the cylinder walls and damage them ,the piston and rings. if you're not using fogging oil , a capful of dino oil will work, again in the sparkplug hole ,insert the plug and turn the bike over with the starter a few times, WITHOUT the plug wire in place. then replace the wire and try starting.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #131 - 11/07/19 at 08:35:17

batman wrote on 11/06/19 at 12:37:36:
Maybe you could try some fogging oil in the cylinder to aid compression, and protect the new piston/rings from damage  until you get it running(oil pressure comes up) and the rings have a chance to start seating . I'd also change the fuel to high octane , it delays ignition which is what you want when starting (so does your TDI ignition delay at startup if you have it wired correctly ). It might be smart to return to the CV carb and exhaust until you have the bike up and running, right now you have to many variables.
------------------------------------------

THIS!!  

You changed way too much at once for someone who doesn't build motorcycles every day.  Those guys you see on TV doing bike and car builds are usually working with the same basic parts on every build so they have it all worked out.  

You're throwing a big carb, a crazy pipe, a rebuild and rewire in the mess all at once.  Good luck with that.  Listen to Batman and go back to a the stock header and carb.  Then you'll only have to worry about your wiring and rebuild which still leaves a lot to debug.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #132 - 11/07/19 at 08:51:09

ZSteele wrote on 11/06/19 at 11:58:56:
I'm pretty sure its firing, got it to give me one putputput but other than that its just turning over and giving me the one put. I can check for spark by placing the sparkplug on the engine correct?
------------------

And this just makes me ROFLMAO!  

Honestly, with questions like this, you had no business doing most of what you did with this bike.  When I first saw your welding skills, I was shocked!!  

Do I think you went about this the right way?  Nope!

Would I ever throw a leg over your bike?  No way, it scares me!

Did I think you would get this thing back together? No way!

Yet here you are with it put back together and it almost runs!! More power to ya brother!!  Honestly, I give you credit for sticking with this.  Your close, you can do it.   Smiley

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #133 - 11/07/19 at 09:44:35

Hahahaha, its true, alot of this is first time trials for me but I promise I do alot of reading and research into what I've done! This forum has been a huge asset learning from what all of you guys have done! Also I ask a lot of questions because it benefits me, I did the same thing in the army and now in my new gig. If we can't ask stupid questions we're doomed to make stupid mistakes!

Honestly the pipe and the rewire don't worry me too much. I put 1500 miles on the bike after the initial mods including the rewire. The pipe is much shorter but it's also a 1.625 ID so in terms of internal volume it shouldnt be crazy different from stock, just a shorter sprint out the door.

I tried to start her again last night and jussssst about made it. I really think the fogging oil and better fuel will be the touch it needs.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #134 - 11/07/19 at 10:16:16

Many times the 1st start is a lot easier with starting fluid.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 12:34:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.