Send Topic Print
Cafe Build (Read 2337 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Cafe Build
Reply #150 - 12/11/19 at 08:55:22

Before you go changing too many things at once, if the header is glowing just from idling, then only make changes to the idle circuit because the needle and main have no effect on idle. Further, before you start tearing things apart, try to run the bike for a period of time with the choke (actually, it's an enricher circuit) pulled out. If the glowing goes away, then you should look to fatten up the idle jet.

Also, are you 100% sure that you don't have an air leak in the intake boot between the carb and the head? Make sure there is a good seal without any tears or misalignment.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #151 - 12/11/19 at 09:23:44

srinath wrote on 12/11/19 at 07:11:31:
Header turning cherry red is definitely lean condition. Unburnt gas burning that close in the header will soon result in the spark being drowned out.
Cool.
Srinath.
-----------------------------

Come on now, any old hotrodder will always say it's unburnt fuel.  It's conventional hotrodder wisdome!!   Smiley  (Not that that proves anything.)

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #152 - 12/11/19 at 09:40:47

I will double check the seal, the gas seems to come from where the gasket/boot meets the carb, not where the gasket meets the head. Will try the choke after work first!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #153 - 12/11/19 at 09:45:25

ZSteele wrote on 12/11/19 at 09:40:47:
I will double check the seal, the gas seems to come from where the gasket/boot meets the carb, not where the gasket meets the head. Will try the choke after work first!

Fuel sneaking out before it gets in the chamber will also result in air sneaking in. Now if your floats are overflowing, you can lose fuel from the intake side and still end up with too much in the chamber - in which case it can still went out the plug and kill the spark. Otherwise, it would lead to a much leaner mix.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #154 - 12/11/19 at 10:37:38

I'd put the CV carb back on the bike for at least the break in period for the new piston (1500 miles) this is no time to be trying to tune your new carb. You need to be worried about seating the rings to the cylinder walls and you can't do that running the bike at 30 second of idling and no load and the bike not ever getting to temperature , you'll be more likely to glaze the cylinder walls and never achieve good compression.
    Drain the 87 octane gas that you've watered down with seafoam , and get some high octane fuel , fuel coming form the mouth of the carb may well be early signs of detonation (pinging) which tends to occur at low speeds ,  caused by your low octane fuel ,and can't always be heard or detected (fuel spitting out the mouth of the carb may be a sign). You have invested $$$ in the bike , what's a few bucks for gas?
    Smoke from the tailpipe and higher oil use is something you'll have until the rings do seat.(don't use synthetic oil ).

« Last Edit: 12/11/19 at 13:37:33 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #155 - 12/11/19 at 16:44:10

Test 1: vm carb with 87 and choke out
Result: Red hot header
Test 2: CV carb with 87 choke both in and out
Result: wont stay on
Test 3: CV carb with 93 choke in
Result: rock solid idle, with hard revs the header begins to glow, I could be hearing some ping but I'm unsure of what im listening for in regards to engine knock. Its definitely different from the stock piston sound. Thoughts?

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #156 - 12/11/19 at 16:47:49

Checked my sight glass to make sure I wasnt losing oil and its got plenty, maybe even a little full. Definitely is darker though. I'll pickup some fresh oil tomorrow and do a drain to check oil for metal. Im currently running mobil1 racing 4t 10w-40. Anyone have a better suggestion?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #157 - 12/11/19 at 18:19:50

It sounds like the you may need to increase the size of the jets in your carb (maybe) but you NEED to dump the Mobil 1 4t  it's a full synthetic ,a BIG NO -NO   it won't allow the rings to seat ,you want to use only a Dino based 10w40 for the brake in period. That's not my opinion,  ask anyone! Or research it yourself. Your site glass is fuller and darker because your fuel and combustion gases are passing by the rings ,   because the synthetic oil is not allowing the rings to seat.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #158 - 12/11/19 at 19:04:07

Good to know! I originally got the mobil1 because it had the highest zddp of their offerings. Do you have a personal go to or are they all going to be more or less the same?

Heres a sound bite if you dont mind taking a listen, the engine noise is louder in the vid but it does sound pretty close to what Im hearing in person.

Edit: http://imgur.com/a/Cm4ErkN soundbite link that i didnt include 😑

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #159 - 12/11/19 at 19:08:00

Also I checked the plug as well. Gap was a little close so I opened it up a hair. Center electrode was dry and sooty, side electrode was a little wet but sooty underneath and the top few threads and insulator were wet with oil.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #160 - 12/11/19 at 19:36:51

If the rings aren't seating they're going to pass oil as if they were worn out , even more so it the oil is diluted with fuel , leaving behind a wet plug and carbon build up , make sense?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #161 - 12/12/19 at 07:06:54

Batman is right. Listen to him.  I also like the CV carb because if the VM is dumping too much fuel in there, it could be washing down the cylinders which, as batman pointed out wouldn't be good for your new piston and rings either.

Your header pipe is, well, who knows.  It's oversized, short, and single-walled.  I guess I would expect it to get hot and blue.  Cherry red, not sure, but if your valve timing is still off, or your jetting is too lean or too rich????  

Again, changing so many things at once makes it really hard to know exactly what's going on unless you do this crap for a living.  As I said, the guys we see on TV are using things known to work.  You are pulling stuff out of your ass!!*    Grin

As for the video, it sounds a bit noisy to me.  You might need to check your valve adjustment or possibly timing chain tension is off.

* Which is a fun way to say you are doing stuff for the first time with very little experience to work with. DragBikeMike pulls stuff out of his ass too. The difference is he has a pretty good idea what to expect when he does it and I think he pretty much does one experiment at a time.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #162 - 12/12/19 at 10:45:45

Its been a while so without going back and reading the entire thread; do you have a Wiseco 97 piston in your engine now ?  I saw a reference to it but did not see confirmation.  And what about the cam ?  Stock or upgraded ?

Does your engine continue to idle upon start and does the low throttle range functioning normally ?

I would expect the #20 pilot to function decently at least.
The #200 main could very well be too large, especially if no Wiseco &/or non stock cam.  On a stock engine I start with a #180-185 main.

Your short header is costing you power.  A stock header would work better for you until you can make a better one.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #163 - 12/12/19 at 11:07:29

97mm wiseco and stock cam.

With the cv back on the idle sounds steady and strong and gassing it does just what I expect it to, revs higher and louder but no stumbles.

The vm does have a quad wing and a UFO installed

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #164 - 12/17/19 at 14:01:37

Been a busy bee. Header lengthened to about 32in. Oil changed to rotella t4 dino oil. Ran it with the new header and oil for 10 minutes with some hard revs and all glowing has stopped in the first bend of the header. Still hearing that almost clanging sound from the previous soundbite but it starts and runs easily with high octane gas. Is the sound just something to get used to or is it indicative of some other issue?

1213191112_HDR_resized.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 15:36:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.