Cafe Build (Read 2337 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Cafe Build
Reply #105 - 10/30/19 at 16:41:47

If you use a velocity stack I'd fit the longest you can , to make the Quad Flow torque wing work it's best.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #106 - 10/30/19 at 16:45:16

I just got the one from dimecitycycles batman

IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #107 - 10/30/19 at 16:48:50

A life long student of motorcycling
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #108 - 10/30/19 at 16:55:47

Too easy, thanks Gary!

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #109 - 10/30/19 at 19:16:20

ZSteele wrote on 10/29/19 at 21:31:24:
Still waiting for quotes on my header pipe to come in, if they're more than 500 I'll just invest the money into an entry level tig welder and do some learning.

If you're already fluent with a MIG, that might be realistic- if not, buying a TIG to advance a project is like buying a unicycle to go on a trip. (Plenty of people trek on unicycles- after falling down.   A lot.)  The TIG requires much hard won finesse.   Unless you score a nice TIG for a bargain price, a low-end rig only makes the task that much more formidable.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #110 - 10/30/19 at 19:21:43

Ive done some work with the fcaw, but I feel like having a decent welder would open up a lot of project doors for me. Its definitely something I'll have eventually either way, might as well start now right?

Edit: also I'm looking at ac/DC welders specifically. Gotta get on that aluminum game with Armen  Wink

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #111 - 10/31/19 at 07:26:28

You could also rod braise or brass weld.  It's a very similar skill to tig welding but with a gas torch.  You could easily do a better job than that flux core wire feed does and the skills would transfer to tig.  And get points for being "old school" which is perfect for a cafe bike.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #112 - 10/31/19 at 08:51:06

I was doing some light research into brazing and it seemed like the braze wouldn't be able to hold up to the exhaust temps, mainly right at the head? It would be way cheaper to go that route, how could I make that work? Keep in mind I'm intending on pie cutting this for sexy points, I guess I could wrap it if it looks like butt though.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #113 - 10/31/19 at 20:59:36

What's your price range?   A low duty-cycle MIG might fill the bill, considering how thin the exhaust.   Of course, it would be great to have a powerful rig for frame work.   Reckon on another $100 in supporting tools, at least, plus consumables.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #114 - 11/01/19 at 07:20:10

The lowest I've seen a decent acdc machine go for is 6-700 new, a little less on eBay though. If I could get a machine that will last me a lifetime of little jobs, heaviest probably being frame work, I would spend about 1k on the machine and odds and ends. Not sure I'll need a giant gas tank.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #115 - 11/01/19 at 19:39:51

Im tired of not riding.... Tacky tacky...

1101192022_HDR_resized_2.jpg
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #116 - 11/02/19 at 18:36:36

All welded up, the fcaw welding is really quite hard to make pretty. I got a couple nice looking drags here and there but mixed in with the poop and splatter I ended up just grinding them all down. I'm going to pick up some titanium wrap and just wrap the shame, when I get a big boy welder I'll give it another go. Also I intend to get a dr650 or stage 3 cam at some point so that would be a good time to give welding a header another go.

Am I going to run into problems having the muffler bracket attached to the two bolts holding down the starter? Looked like cast something or other so hopefully heat isn't too big a problem requiring moving the bracket elsewhere.

Also are there any jetting quirks I should be aware of with a header this short?

I'm dying to start er up but I want to get a couple more aesthetic details done first. This week I'll go for a ride for sure.

1102191939a_HDR_resized_1.jpg
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #117 - 11/04/19 at 07:47:36

The widest part of the exhaust is directly over the right brake control, and you're employing clip-on bars with a stock tank; I wonder about clearance for either.   The tank is more-or-less the original shape, without accommodation for hand controls- may they still be employed at the normal extent?   How close is your ankle/calf to that pipe?

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #118 - 11/04/19 at 09:04:43

Normal sitting position I have maybe 3/4in between my calf and the pipe. Planning on fabbing up a little shield that will sit away from the pipe and hopefully there won't be so much heat transfer through convection that I can't rest my leg on it. More to follow there as I, finger crossed, get it running today or tomorrow.

The clipons are set up so the left has about a mm of clearance from the tank, the right will touch currently. The steering lock isn't centered so I'm thinking of just tacking some weld or using a JB product to beef up the left side of the tab so the right bar won't touch. I'm not super worried about using the full extent of the steering. I do plan on doing some slow speed drills to feel more comfortable on the new setup but for the moment it's fine.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #119 - 11/06/19 at 08:51:38

Got essential wires in place to try firing er up and we're not quite making it. I still have 87 gas in the tank. Is the 97mm wiseco really that picky about high octane gas or should I look elsewhere first? Has fresh oil, a shortened header, and a velocity stack on the new 38vm carb. Halp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 04:01:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.