Send Topic Print
New Member, Used Ryca (Read 762 times)
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Member, Used Ryca
Reply #60 - 04/28/19 at 16:52:29

All right! Finally getting my bike back together as parts start to come in here and there and I have some down time from work. I did the cam chain tensioner and put my clutch back together today!!

The clutch measured out just fine. I had major power issue off idle but I'm currently attributing that to lean jetting although I'm secretly wondering if I didnt feel the clutch slip a little. I have no idea what oil the PO used and hopefully it didnt have friction modifiers. The side gasket is cheaper than a new clutch so I'll give her a whirl!

The cam chain tensioner went one click out when I put her on and let her loose. Is that too tight and should I put it back on the second hole?

What does this bolt do? I thought it was the oil drain plug but I cant seem to figure out what it does?

Also, I'm having trouble with my Ryca seat. When on the bike and bolted down the back end shifts around quite a bit. Am I missing something or do you guys have a fix for this? It seems like the rubber bumper should have some kind of dowel in it where the bolts go through to prevent this.

As always, thanks guys!! I'm just waiting on my tank to come back form being lined and then I'll fire her up and see how she runs. I'm really looking forward to it. I bought the bike a couple months back now and have been really itching to ride!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 04/28/19 at 20:39:09

LiftdT4R wrote on 04/28/19 at 16:52:29:
The cam chain tensioner went one click out when I put her on and let her loose. Is that too tight and should I put it back on the second hole?

It depends... do you ever want to see it again?  No, leave it there.  Yes, it will have less tension and won't wear the chain as much but for the gap between the pin and the end of the slot you can guess at 2000 miles per mm.
Quote:
What does this bolt do? I thought it was the oil drain plug but I cant seem to figure out what it does?

It's so you can check the oil pressure.

WWW   IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 05/01/19 at 19:11:30

Thanks!!

Also, the Ryca kit does away with the sidestand switch. Is there any way to also do away with the sidestand relay? I'm trying to tidy up my wiring harness while I have the bike apart.

What exactly does the sidestand diode do? I know a diode only let's current flow in one direction but I'm lost on what the point of that is here.

EDIT: Looks like blue to blue/black to keep the neutral light and get rid of the diode and orange to orange/black to get rid of the relay.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1239071437/7

Still curious how this system actually operates. Best I can tell is the sidestand relay sees current from the neutral indicator and  kickstand so it completes the circuit between orange and orange/black to send current to the stop switch.

I think I got everything figured out or at least I've got this pile of junk removed from my harness and my bike still starts.

I know it's not a good idea to remove these safety switches and I wouldnt advise anyone to do it. The PO lopped the plunger of the clutch switch and wired the sidestand switch together so just wanted to remove the extra stuff in the harness associated with that. I dont want to have to diagnose diode or relay issues in the future.

« Last Edit: 05/03/19 at 17:51:19 by LiftdT4R »  
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 05/19/19 at 05:56:31

Hey guys, got my gas tank back from GTL and everything back together. Let me say I am impressed with the bike! It's a real hoot to ride! My carb issues are 99% solved and the bike is just a blast! Here's a pic of my tank, GTL isnt cheap bu the results were awesome! Hard to get a good pic of the lining.

Here's a pic of my completed bike. I still am messing around with the wire routing because I'd like to leave off the side panels so I still have some work there.

Also, I still have a carb issue. I just read another post by a member who's having the same thing. I went through the whole pilot screw setup. I found the best spot at exactly 2.5 turns out but I had to set my idle to 1,400 RPM to keep it from dying. Even still when I pull in the clutch or rev the motor up high and let off the throttle it sometimes dies or the RPMs fall way way down to where it sounds like it will die.

I'm thinking 2 things. I should go up from the 52.5 pilot to a 55 or maybe reverse the white spacer mod. I'm currently running 2 washer and was thinking maybe I'm rich in the mid range. I'm also running a 152.5 main up from a 147. The bike runs awesome other than this small issue.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 05/27/19 at 07:39:52

Well. I've been riding her all weekend and everything seems to be sorted out save for a couple very minor issues. The 155 main and 55 pilot work perfect! I also went ahead and installed a RAM ball in my unused mirror hole so I could use my RAM mount from my other bikes.

My only 2 minor issues are, the vacuum cap that I put on the carb where the old petcock drew from keeps blowing off and then the bike runs like heck. I'm on my 3rd now and I zip tied it on. Is this a normal issue or an indication of something worse?

Also I have a small oil leak on the belt side. It looks like there;s a penetration in the case for a wire and that seems to be my issue. It's not bad but I'll have to dig in and take a look.

Happy Memorial Day!!

IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 05/27/19 at 08:09:46

LiftdT4R wrote on 05/27/19 at 07:39:52:
the vacuum cap that I put on the carb where the old petcock drew from keeps blowing off and then the bike runs like heck. I'm on my 3rd now and I zip tied it on.

Get a proper vacuum port plug with a clamp:

carb.jpg
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 05/27/19 at 17:17:34

Thanks!! Any link to one of those. I bought the raptor pet thingy kit off flea bay but it didnt come with a clip and now the vacuum cap is on the side of the road somewhere.

Also I'm having a small amount of oil blow out of the rear port on the right side of the engine. This is actually the oil leak I previously described. I've ridden 300 miles and the oil level is not noticeably lower but there is a fine mist of oil covering the bottom of the carb, starter, and crank case of the engine. There is a small spot under the bike where I park it in the garage. Should I be worried? Is this normal for these bikes? I estimate there are 9,000 miles on it and it's a 1998.

EDIT: I'm guessing it's the notorious access plug leak. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1327896745 Sound about right? If so I'll keep an eye on the oil level and change out the plug this winter.

Also, the PO removed the cylinder head covers but did not install any of the hardware back into the holes. Is this ok? It doesnt look like they actually seal anything.  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #67 - 05/28/19 at 11:59:33

Usually with the plug leak the oil fines it's way out the front of the motor at the exhaust header  ,runs across the front fins to the left side of the motor , but it's possible it's being blown through to the rear, two other places it could be from is the center head bolt directly below the carb( it faces down, the nut is in the recess in the fins,  or the head bolt inside under the top cap-the right rear (rare ,but we have seen it)  I can't see any oil in the picture ,it maybe do to your cylinder being black . You'll need to clean the motor and look for the leak to determine where it actually is . none is "life threating " but leaks don't get better. I'd even check that your breather hose has enough arch in it ( to allow the oil to drain back to the motor) ,as it normally goes to the other side of the bike and into the air box.

PS. a hockey puck formed to have the same shape as your kickstand foot at the top and tapered to about twice that size at it's  base and through bolted works much better than a wooden board, even on soft sand, to hold your bike up and it travels with you.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 22:43:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Member, Used Ryca

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.