New Member, Used Ryca (Read 762 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: New Member, Used Ryca
Reply #30 - 03/22/19 at 19:39:51

"I add half an ounce of engine oil to my gas on every fill up. I think/hope it helps the inside of the gas tank especially with the darn ethanol. And lubricates the slide as well as the throttle shaft. My bike has only 9k on it but it runs very well, and I have never had a carb issue."

Norm , Adding oil to your gas isn't a great idea, if your adding it every time you fill up (and not running the tank bone dry each time) the concentration  of oil will build up with every fill (as will ANY other additive).  Oil entering the cylinder will likely burn, and leave carbon deposits on the sparkplug(foul it) and combustion chamber walls and piston dome that could cause detonation . Not to mention soot in your exhaust system. While the plug could be cleaned and reused ,detonation is something to be avoided.
     I strongly doubt that the oil lubes your slide or throttle shaft, the fuel enters under the slide at the main jet(if a finger print will make your slide hang up, I'd hate to think what motor oil would do) ,and the pilot jet and choke enter down stream from the slide. The throttle shaft would not be lubed either as the amount of fuel being greater, would simply wash it into the cylinder.
   If the oil you added to the gas tank doesn't mix fully with the gas it will migrate to the bottom ,and could cause some problems if you need to use your reserve petcock setting.
   In all I would discontinue it's use. You'd be better off just running pure gas.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 03/23/19 at 05:00:44

Adding "extra"oil into a mix in the 2 stroke world is a subject that is controversial as an oil war.  The folks who do it believe they are getting better protection - the opponents say that oil burns hotter than fuel and caused the engine to run hotter than it would at a normal mix, and that the additional oil changes the fuel/air mix as the fuel has become thicker, and it results in more carbon build up.  Back in the days when we just used 30 weight non-detergent motor oil for a 2 cycle engine it took a 20:1 fuel/oil mix - now most oils that are made for a 2 cycle engine run 50:1 mix (racing motorcycles and go kart engines may run some other mix ratio).

In a 4 stroke bike.....I don't believe it helps anything, and it mimics having a bike with a worn cylinder or valve seals - and burns oil which carbons things up.

Motor oil made to run in crankcases is not designed to burn clean.....if you feel the need to continue this ritual - at least buy a good 2 cycle oil that is made for air cooled engines and burns cleaner.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 03/23/19 at 06:47:25

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/22/19 at 19:20:43:
Do you suspect that you have a leak? Even a good engine will allow about 10% loss during a differential compression test. Even then it's hard to determine where the 10% is going. When a piston, rings or valve has gone, it's quite easy to tell where the leak is. At 140 psi for a basic compression test I don't expect that a differential test will tell you much.

I don't but my experience is mainly on 2 stroke bikes where you could have good compression but an air leak would lean out your motor and kill it. I know the same is not likely true for a 4 stroke but I'm not sure if frequent leak tests are something people do on these motors if they have good compression. The bike is new to me and I don't know its history so I want to be sure if will run great for years to come.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 03/23/19 at 09:25:37

LiftdT4R, If you have an air leak that leans the fuel mix ,it would be on the intake pipe /or the O-ring between it and the head.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 03/25/19 at 09:38:36

Thanks, I'll skip it for now. I did notice a lot of rust in the tank and petcock so I think you guys may have been right about me being lean and that might be where it's coming from.

I have been looking at: http://gastanklining.com/ to do my tank. Price is kind of steep at $350 but I have a gut feeling this is going to be one of those thing I'll be swearing about for hours if I try to do it myself. Anyone used GTL before? Or do you have any recommendations on where I can get my tank lined?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 03/25/19 at 10:34:42

You can take a little bit of time and a few dollars and save yourself $250 or more.  (Although those tanks that are lined professionally look really nice).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1386849349/0#1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 03/25/19 at 11:40:26

That's a great procedure Dave.  I've used the evaporust in the past and think you came up with a great application for the product.  It's great that you put so much effort into the written procedure.  Lots of hard work on your part that we can all benefit from.  Thanks for sharing.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 04/12/19 at 20:48:09

Hey guys, couple more questions for ya:

1. I found this cut bolt just hanging out in the top end. I'm guessing it was for the valve cover but never having owned a stock Savage I'm not sure as i doesn't show too well in the fiche. Guessing this is part of the Ryca conversion and next time I remove the top end I should get rid of it or hit it with the dremel.

2. I had a 146 main in my carb with a 52.5 pilot and the bike ran like hell, just no power at all. I did the compression test and had 140 psi cold so I know it's not there. I believe the bike is jetted wrong and I'll be going with a 55 pilot and 152.5 main. I pulled the clutch cover so I could do the Verslagen cam chain tensioner and I'm wondering:

If someone used the wrong oil on this bike, one with a friction modifier, would the friction plates still measure in spec? Around 2001 I used standard motor oil in a YZ80 and smoke the clutch. As I remember the plate still looked good it's just that because of the friction modifier they didn;t work.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #38 - 04/12/19 at 22:41:44

Don't toss that bolt just yet , it belongs in the head ,just forward of the decomp  , and holds down the sealing surface in that corner of the head cover. So you'll want to replace it , you can run the bolt downward and and capture a nut placed between the opening in the  front of the fins.                    
         It's not stock, It's a replacement  for the much longer stock bolt (which was only threaded where it pasted above the chrome cover)and placed with the head down in a notch in the fins, and ran up to hold the head cover and  up through the chrome "beauty "  cover where the nut was tightened to hold both in place.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #39 - 04/13/19 at 05:30:31

I wouldn't change out that pilot jet.  A 55 is probably too rich.  Heck, the 52.5 might be too much for this bike.  My bike had a 55 with a 155 and it was a turd.  Start with the main first and test.  I'm running one jet up from stock for both main and pilot and the bike runs great.  I found that even a 50/150 combo was slightly rich in my bike.  Based on my experiences, I'd guess you are slightly rich on the bottom and slightly lean on top right now.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #40 - 04/13/19 at 06:05:14

The Pilot jet doesn’t effect power, just off-throttle response. 90% of the time we are riding on the needle. Raising the needle is probably all you need to do at this point.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 04/13/19 at 20:06:46

ohiomoto wrote on 04/13/19 at 05:30:31:
I wouldn't change out that pilot jet.  A 55 is probably too rich.  Heck, the 52.5 might be too much for this bike.  My bike had a 55 with a 155 and it was a turd.  Start with the main first and test.  I'm running one jet up from stock for both main and pilot and the bike runs great.  I found that even a 50/150 combo was slightly rich in my bike.  Based on my experiences, I'd guess you are slightly rich on the bottom and slightly lean on top right now.  

I think you're running a stock airbox IIRC, right? If so I'm going to need to be richer than that and from what I was reading with the Ryca muffler and pod filter a 152.2 and 52.5 should do the trick or at least give me a good starting point.

What worries me is that the pilot air screw was 3 turns out which means larger pilot jet but the bike wasn't running great so I'll have to wait to verify

Also, does anyone have any info on the clutch? If the PO ran car oil would the clutch not measure right or would it still look good and just not grab? Thanks, and a pic of my bike as it sits now, cam chain tensioner and front rotor are off to verslagen.

I have no idea how many miles are on this bike because the PO did the Ryca conversion. Judging by the cam chain tensioner I'm going to say not many though. Everything looks very clean.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #42 - 04/13/19 at 23:13:56

Look at that cam chain adjuster, looks like 9k miles to me.
Are you gonna replace it with the verslavy version while you’re in there?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #43 - 04/14/19 at 05:11:59

"What worries me is that the pilot air screw was 3 turns out which means larger pilot jet but the bike wasn't running great so I'll have to wait to verify..."

------

You have that backwards.  The more you turn the air screw out, the more air you let in which means you are already rich and you should consider a smaller pilot jet.  And the stock airbox breathes better than many pod filters.  Someone dyno'd a Ryca pancake filter a long time ago and it proved to be far more restrictive than a stock box.  

What does you plug look like?  It should be a very light tan, almost white, if it's running clean.  If it's chocolate, you're already rich.  If there is any black soot or oil on it, you're way rich.  It's a very useful way to determine which way to go with jetting.  Also, if the bike runs better when it cold out, it's rich.  If it runs worse in cold weather, it's lean.  When in doubt, go back to stock and work from there.

As for the oil, don't use anything with a bunch of additives if you want your clutch to work properly.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 04/14/19 at 07:04:37

Thanks, I know not to use auto engine oil due to the friction modifiers but what I'm wondering if if the PO did, what will the clutch look like? The clutch thickness is spot on and the clutch looks brand new.

I only rode the bike once but it rode like hell. I tore it down to investigate and do the verslagen cam chain tensioner mod. What I've found so far is the wrong plug was in the bike, the oil looked black as night, and the carb was jetted incorrectly.

When I say the bike rode like hell it had no power past 1/4 throttle. I don't think it's a clutch issue but can't be certain so I was thinking I'll just change the clutch while I have the side cover off but was wondering if there's anyway to tell if the PO used an oil with friction modifiers.

Also, Clymers Page 153 is very confusing. I have one friction disc that's thicker than the rest that's up against the clutch hub. Is this normal? Clymers reads like it should be the opposite.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 01:24:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Member, Used Ryca

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.