Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bypassing relays and diodes!!! (Read 602 times)
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Bypassing relays and diodes!!!
04/06/09 at 19:30:36

Ok... While looking at the Wiring Diagram from my Clymer Manual (pg 352) It seems I can bypass the the Side Stand Diode and the Side Stand Relay..

Side Stand Diode: hook blue to blue, no more diode

Side Stand Relay: Cut both Orange... take Orange/Black from rectifier into Kill switch.

Will this work?

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bypassing relays and diodes!!!
Reply #1 - 04/06/09 at 20:15:33

Those circuits are there for a reason.  And I wouldn't bypass them unless you understood completely how they work.

WWW   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #2 - 04/06/09 at 20:31:49

I know why they are there... and have a good understanding of how they work... I don't have a kick stand switch anymore and the Other relays are really gettin in the way! I have been riding for years on bikes without all the bells and whistles... they are the last safety relays on the bike. I just want to know if I bypass them that way if it will work! I do apreciate the concern though!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #3 - 04/06/09 at 20:37:52

Verslagen...sorry for the harsh reply... I think the scotch is getting the better of me!

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/06/09 at 21:57:25

Ok chopped, you know your bike, but no one else does.  someone going to look at this and not know what you've done.  I certainly didn't.  And your terminology is incorrect.

So, as to not make the past hour a total waste...

safety circuit pared down to the esentials.

blue neutral switch to blue/black neutral light, will give you a neutral whistle.

orange from ignition to orange/black kill switch, will run the bike.

« Last Edit: 09/23/11 at 08:13:15 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 04/07/09 at 03:23:52

The sidestand diode is a ground sinking circuit.  It helps make a complete circuit when the sidestand is down and the bike is in neutral.

It started in '87.  On the '86 models, the neutral switch only ran the neutral light and the sidestand switch went directly into the starter controller/timer thingy.

Can it be bypassed Undecided,  hmmmmm....... yes, if you either find another ground source for the relay (hidden switch for security) or just remove the relay.

Since a picture is like a thousand words, here's a shot of the Factory Serv Man.  (it was taken  with my new cellphone, hope you can view it )

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #6 - 04/07/09 at 06:35:07

Verslagen.... that diagram is AWESOME That is almost exactly what my wiring harness looks like, but I don't have the Side stand switch and the clutch lever switch is all! Where did you find this or did you make it?

thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 04/07/09 at 06:41:20

need the starter relay unless you get a heavy duty 30amp starter switch..decomp and solenoid(timer) makes starting easier

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #8 - 04/07/09 at 06:46:36

Oh IM KEEPIN THAT ONE!!!! Even though Its aftermarket!

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/07/09 at 07:56:59

Chopped wrote on 04/07/09 at 06:35:07:
Verslagen.... that diagram is AWESOME That is almost exactly what my wiring harness looks like, but I don't have the Side stand switch and the clutch lever switch is all! Where did you find this or did you make it?

Screen grabbed the pdf'ed clymer pages.
pasted and matched together in paint.
deleted the circuits not currently interested in.
copy and pasted till the confusion went away.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 04/07/09 at 08:50:59

It's your bike and your life, but bypassing or defeating safeties is very seldom a good idea, and usually a bad one.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 04/07/09 at 09:33:59

thumperclone wrote on 04/07/09 at 06:41:20:
need the starter relay unless you get a heavy duty 30amp starter switch..decomp and solenoid(timer) makes starting easier

Starter realy is different than sidestand realy.  Sidestand relay switches power to the ign circuit.  

As Charon stated, it's a safey feature.  That's why I used the   Undecided face.  When I put on the Ed L. extensions, I extended the wire to the sidestand switch so that the safety feature was still there.  

But.... I am a bad boy in that I created a relay that when the bike is in neutral, I don't need to pull in the clutch lever (only when in neutral, otherwise the lever has to be pulled).   My two previous bikes worked this way from the factory.  Both were Honda's.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #12 - 04/07/09 at 14:29:09

Thanks for all the input guys... and safety tips. I have ridin bikes for a long time without all these safety relays. To me its just one more thing to break when I am on the road. I think I got this figured out on how to bypass the side stand diode and relay for the bike to run. I do hope that it doesn't cause any other issues with the wiring! Lets cross our fingers!

Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #13 - 04/08/09 at 16:16:18

Ok.... Ok... I have fixed my problem! I now have absolutely no safety relays on the bike! I even got clever and have no key either! I worked a kill switch and a starter switch for everything... but someone will have to find the switch to steal the bike! I like it! Thanks for all the help guys!

wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/23/11 at 08:04:59

Please explain which wires/contacts you jumped or connected to make the sidestand relay and sidestand diode bypass work. I have a 2006 that is being converted to a Ryca kit and the sidestand switch is eliminated, so I'd like to get rid off any unneccesary parts as well.

Chopped wrote on 04/07/09 at 14:29:09:
Thanks for all the input guys... and safety tips. I have ridin bikes for a long time without all these safety relays. To me its just one more thing to break when I am on the road. I think I got this figured out on how to bypass the side stand diode and relay for the bike to run. I do hope that it doesn't cause any other issues with the wiring! Lets cross our fingers!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 17:42:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bypassing relays and diodes!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.