ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New Member, Used Ryca
Reply #45 - 04/14/19 at 08:59:10

LiftdT4R wrote on 04/14/19 at 07:04:37:
Also, Clymers Page 153 is very confusing. I have one friction disc that's thicker than the rest that's up against the clutch hub. Is this normal? Clymers reads like it should be the opposite.

clymers has errors, that is one of them.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1119775997

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #46 - 04/14/19 at 09:42:40

No ,Ohiomoto you have it backwards , it's a fuel mix screw, the more you open it the more fuel you add to the idle circuit .  we have no air mix screw. If the screw is out 3+ turns it could mean you need to go to the next larger pilot jet , but I would first check to see if the spacer mod was done, and how many #4 steel washers washers were used . (I would think two for his elevation -near sea level) and at least a 150 main jet. ( I know of only one owner running the stock 145 and he's at 6000 ft in the Rockies).

Liftdt4r , If the PO used the wrong oil and the clutch is slipping it may be that the discs and steels are glazed, soaking them in gas and giving them a light sanding ,allowing them to dry ,and oiling them ,should return them to normal . But I'd try just changing to some good -moly free-oil ,the slipping may stop over time ,if you do a couple of changes over a bit faster intervals ,say 1,000 miles?

« Last Edit: 04/16/19 at 06:43:52 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #47 - 04/14/19 at 10:38:32

Gotta drop the idle to get a good adjustment on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 04/14/19 at 13:49:43

Thanks guys, awesome info!!

So, if I'm more than 2.5 turns out on the idle mix screw when tuning the bike I should be going to a LARGER pilot jet, correct? That's what I figured as I believe backing out the screw makes the bike richer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #49 - 04/14/19 at 14:08:12

Unless that adjustment was made without lowering the idle speed,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 04/14/19 at 17:22:17

I'm sure I'll have to pull the carb off and mess around with it some more. I have no clue what the PO did and I doubt he does either. I'm just looking for a starting point and I think 152.5 / 52.5 is it. At least that's what Ryca recommends and that's what it looks like folks are doing here.

I got pretty far rebuilding my carb today. Lots of scrubbing and playing around with stuff. Dropped in a new needle jet and jet needle as well as did the white spacer mod. I am using 3 washers to start. The needle in my rebuild kit had 3 clip positions on it so I used the one closest to stock. The taper of the needle and length look identical.

Also, I got a replacement pilot in my rebuild kit but it looks quite a bit different than the one that came out of my carb. The one that was in my carb is on top and the one from the rebuild kit is on the bottom. I'm not worried about the depth but I am worried about the taper of the needle. The needle on the rebuild one looks much thinner. Any advice on this?

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 04/14/19 at 17:38:15

Also, on these carbs, where exactly does the pilot circuit run? It looks like air is pulled from the intake side and travels to the underside of the diaphragm. Then it goes through the two small jets and down into the carb somewhere where it mixes with the fuel pulled from the pilot jet in the bowl.

Most of the bikes I've worked on with vacuum carbs don't have the pilot circuit running through the diaphragm area but I'm guessing it's done this way here due to the TEV. Am I right?

I drew this pic to see if I'm understanding this correctly:

Also, this seemed like a really good video explaining a normal vacuum carb at 4:16 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B-fLDOBqzo

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #52 - 04/14/19 at 20:10:43

Looks like you got a ''universal'' carb rebuild kit. Fits a little of everything, sort-of, and exactly fits nothing. That screw ain't even close, and if the needle for inside the slide has 3 notches, IT'S WRONG!
Reuse the stock needle, they don't wear out, ever. They can get bent or installed wrong however.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #53 - 04/14/19 at 20:43:34

Badwolf's right ,reuse the stock or purchase a stock fuel mix screw, and he's also right about the jet needle The stock needle has zero taper (  if the new one looks tapered  it is incorrect ), and you need to use the matching stock needle jet , mixing and matching won't work! I believe the TEV and the pilot outlets can be seen if you look in the carb 's mouth (discharge) down stream of the throttle plate ,the two small holes at about 8 O'įlock  are the pilot discharges ,one is always open and the other is where the fuel mix screw is located( it acts to fine tune the fuel ,not shut it completely off)If you adjust it and it's at 2 1/2 turns your OK , the pilot doesn't need to be larger unless your over 3 turns out.  The TEV outlet is at about 4 O'clock about an equal distance from the throttle plate.
     Your choice of 52.5 /152.5 jets sounds OK ,keep in mind that as jet size increases fuel mileage decreases .

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #54 - 04/15/19 at 05:37:37

batman wrote on 04/14/19 at 09:42:40:
No ,Ohiomoto you have it backwards , it's a fuel mix screw, the more you open it the more fuel you add to the idle circuit .  we have no air mix screw...
-----------------------

I stand corrected then!  If it's a fuel screw, my advise was screwed up.  Sorry Liftd.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 04/15/19 at 14:14:40

Thanks guys! I'm certain you've saved me a ton of time during tuning! I've tossed the stock needle jet and jet needleback in and I'll reuse the mix screw. Both were in great shape.

One more quick question. On the fuel valve in the carb I see a small plastic cap with a screen. I've never seen this on any other carbs I've worked on. Is this really needed or can I pop it off? I can't imagine it filters much after the petcock in the tank and all.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #56 - 04/15/19 at 16:27:11

Leave the filter in the carb. I clean mine every 20k or so, and they DO catch stuff.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 04/15/19 at 18:29:35

20,000 miles? Wow! It took me 10 years to put 7,000 miles on my last bike and I ride less and less. One of the other posters said my bike has about 9,000 miles on it judging by the cam chain tensioner. I prob could have just cleaned the carb instead of replacing everything.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #58 - 04/15/19 at 19:44:58

I did almost 7k last August on my Salt Flats trip.
I have had my bike just over 4 years. Rolled over 84k coming home from the west coast (Florida) saturday night. I'm really getting to like this retirement thing! End of the month I'm going to South Carolina for a Roller Derby Tournment, should be 1600 miles in 3 1/2 days. I have done the thousand in one 2 & 1/2 times with this bike. The third time it was only 998 miles.
Living in S. Florida I can ride year-around. And it is 5 hours to the state line whenever I go anywhere. I have always tried to travel on a bike, and now I don't have to worry about work if I want to change my plans while on the road so be it.
I put 140k on my old Yamaha 750 triple, about 240k on my Gold Wing, 78k on my Pacific Coast, and now my aim is 150k on this S-40. should hit 100k by the end of this year.
I have a pin in my leg (old MX injury) but some of my friends think I have a stainless steel backbone.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #59 - 04/15/19 at 20:40:07

The screen just sits on a ledge atop the valve seat ,you can lift it off and back flush it . I'd keep the filter it may be needed to space the seat at it's proper depth  ,between it , and the filter on the petcock ,an inline filter on the fuel line isn't needed and they have a habit of becoming air bound, or small openings causing flow problems ,  more trouble than they're worth.

« Last Edit: 04/16/19 at 06:55:48 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 15:14:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Member, Used Ryca

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.