Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Baseline Data (Read 1127 times)
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Cylinder Head Baseline Data
Reply #60 - 11/25/18 at 12:07:38

Cylinder pressure will dictate what octane rating you need. It is possible to have 8:1 CR and ping like crazy with an emissions type cam. Or have 11:1 CR and a long duration/lotsa overlap cam that is happy on 87 octane. Don't let high static compression ratios mislead you because the actual cylinder pressure can be lower or higher than the compression ratio suggests.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #61 - 11/25/18 at 17:22:14

Wow!  Lots of activity here.  This is getting interesting.

Regarding Lancer's comment "Keep in mind that the Stage 3 cam is in the low range for cams duration wise, and the lift is nowhere near even the stock DR cam".  

I recently finished mapping out a Stage 3 that Dave loaned me.  The Stage 3 cam has the following max lift numbers, .393" Intake, .376" Exhaust.  The stock 1995 DR 650 cam has the following max lift numbers, .365" Intake, .364" Exhaust.  So the Stage 3 actually has a bit more lift than a stock DR650 cam.

Regarding DR springs vs LS springs, the parts fiche shows that the DR & LS use identical springs, part #12920-37402.  The retainers are also identical, part #12931-4500.

Lancer, I really appreciate your input regarding your spring setup with the Stage 3 cam.  It tells us a lot about how forgiving the valve train is.  With that cam having faster ramps and higher lift, combined with a relatively close proximity between retainer & guide seal at max lift, the fact that you can wring its guts out on a regular basis sets us all at ease.  Looks like that puppy can take it.  Also, great info on the Mac header.  It pretty much tells the story on header ID.  Seems to me that the book is closed on that topic.  All the formulas, tables, charts etc. indicate the ID of choice should be between 1.5 to 1.625", and it seems to me that we have testimonials that support that.

Regarding Dave's comment, " it just doesn't pull all as hard when you approach the upper limit of the rpm range.  The bike reaches 80 mph easily, 90 comes with a bit more work....100 takes a good while and there really isn't much left".

As you increase speed, the wind resistance increases exponentially, its not a linear function.  So its natural for your acceleration rate to decline dramatically as you exceed 70 or 80 mph.  Your on top of one of the most aerodynamically challenged vehicles ever designed (an unfaired motorcycle).  It's like trying to push a sheet of plywood through the air.  In addition, it's a single cylinder.  Multi cylinder engines have shorter periods of time between power impulses, so multi cylinder engines have a much easier time plowing through the wind.  That single cylinder takes one step forward on the power stroke, and three steps backward on exhaust, intake & compression strokes.

As far as your compression is concerned, as I recall you reported on another thread that you have somewhere on the order of 195 psi cranking pressure.  I'd say that you need to stick with premium fuel.  The Stage 3 cam closes the intake valve at 38 degrees ABDC, the stock cam closes the intake at 40 degrees ABDC (those numbers were measured at .050" lobe lift).  So the Stage 3 cam actually closes the intake sooner than the stock cam, which in turn increases your effective compression stroke by 2 degrees.  Add in the pop top Wiseco and your in premium fuel territory.  No sort of vacuum retard feature to pull timing out under load and you really have no choice.  Too risky to run 87 or even 89 octane.  The Stage 1 that you were previously running closed the intake at 40 degrees ABDC, so with that cam, your effective compression stroke was identical to stock.  I agree with Fast650, the cylinder pressure is a key factor in fuel selection, but we should also consider other factors like ignition timing and quench clearance.  The LS650 has effectively no quench since the piston doesn't get close to the cylinder head at TDC, and the timing really can't be adjusted too readily.  Maybe that's why the advance curve is so darned shallow. When I did my timing test the first thing that struck me was how high I had to rev the engine to achieve full advance.  I don't have a tach but that puppy was really singin by the time it stopped advancing.  Maybe the OEM simply dogged out the curve to avoid any detonation problems.  Pretty easy solution, set the compression ratio in limbo land (how low can you go), and advance timing at a snail's pace.  Some more low hanging fruit?  We shall see.

Stay tuned for a cam comparo.  I have to remove the DR650 cam to do a better map and plot a curve.  Then I can finish it up.  The reason I posted the head data first was because I wanted to be able to see if the cams are all bolt-in.  Seems they are.  With all the cams plotted out on a bell curve, we can then move on to trying to improve cylinder head flow, and figuring out what improvements can be made to flow at lower lifts & higher lifts.  That will make selecting a camshaft for the combination a bit easier, and also help in deciding what head mods will work best for a particular riding style & budget.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #62 - 11/25/18 at 19:25:16

While DBM notes that wind speed increases exponentially, then so must the hp needed to increase speed, consider for a moment that category 1 hurricane speed is 74 to 95 mph, and category 2 is 96 to 111 mph , if your bike does 100 , even on a calm day, it's doing very well . No matter how long it takes to get there.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #63 - 11/26/18 at 13:27:20

I was going through some of my old Harley notes and came across a printout of a dynamic compression ratio calculator I used.  It's really cool and provides a lot of interesting info.  You will need the rod length, bore, stroke, combustion chamber volume, intake valve closing point, calculated static compression, etc.

Try it out.    http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/comprAdvHD.htm

Here's a look at what the calculator provides.

RB_Racing_Comp_Calculator.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #64 - 11/26/18 at 20:32:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/25/18 at 10:07:43:
A rudimentary dyno shouldn't be beyond the abilities of most of us here.

----------------------------

We had a dyno guy from MN on here a while back.  He had experience building big HP bikes and was all in on "exploring the potential" of the LS.  He got run off real fast and put his cash into a big custom twin instead  Huh

« Last Edit: 11/27/18 at 04:05:11 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #65 - 11/26/18 at 20:42:12

How long does it take to figure out
Very limited potential?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #66 - 11/27/18 at 04:01:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/26/18 at 20:42:12:
How long does it take to figure out
Very limited potential?
---------------------

Well, this is page 5, you tell me?   Wink

I'll stick to my guns and say "more power to ya" to anyone who wants to see what they can get out of our motors.  Obviously anyone looking for serious performance wouldn't start with this turd.  (I'm pretty sure everyone on here realizes that.  The page 5 comment was tongue & cheek.)  But sometimes the journey is more satisfying than the destination.

This motor/bike just draws people to it in an "oldschool" way.  We have people turning them into classic cafes, bobbers, choppers, scramblers and trackers, and we have style people trying to coax a few extra ponies out of it and "doing the ton" like they did in the good old days.   Good times. Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #67 - 11/27/18 at 04:59:56

ohiomoto wrote on 11/26/18 at 20:32:51:
We had a dyno guy from MN on here a while back.  He had experience building big HP bikes and was all in on "exploring the potential" of the LS.  He got run off real fast and put his cash into a big custom twin instead  Huh

Not sure if he left because we were too tuff on him - or he learned that the Savage is not going to get him any big HP numbers or low ET's.  He hasn't posted anything in 5 months - but did log onto the site 3 weeks ago.  Every couple of years we get a new member who is going to turn the Savage world upside down and turn it into a big HP power monster....then reality sets in.  DragBikeMike is going about it in a far more methodical/schooled investigation........and may well find a few HP that has never been available previously.  "MORE POWER TO YOU"!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #68 - 11/27/18 at 05:22:45

I am still amazed at what Suzuki did.  Why in the world would they create 2 engines when one will do ?  Why bless one with GOOD DNA while the other was given 'Not so Much" type DNA ?  Clearly, the LS650 was designed and built to be a "Sacrificial Lamb" for their cruiser market.  
A very sad thing for Suzuki managers who made this decision.
But, we have fun with it in spite of that.  Wink

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #69 - 11/27/18 at 05:58:43

Dave wrote on 11/27/18 at 04:59:56:
Not sure if he left because we were too tuff on him - or he learned that the Savage is not going to get him any big HP numbers or low ET's.  He hasn't posted anything in 5 months - but did log onto the site 3 weeks ago.  Every couple of years we get a new member who is going to turn the Savage world upside down and turn it into a big HP power monster....then reality sets in.  DragBikeMike is going about it in a far more methodical/schooled investigation........and may well find a few HP that has never been available previously.  "MORE POWER TO YOU"!

---------------------------------
I agree, more power to you DragBikeMike!

I'm not one to judge how someone goes about it, I enjoy seeing what people come up with.  It's all good in my book and long is it's not my checkbook.   Smiley

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #70 - 11/27/18 at 10:24:05

I'm not here to discourage anyone from trying , cause every time someone tries I learn another tidbit of info. DBM is no dummy and is going about it correctly. But the rest of us collectively are pretty dang smart too. I have ideas to try just no time or money to dispose of. We all have what it takes just maybe not the will , I think we are somewhat satisfied with the improvements and power increases. But do we want to sacrifice dependability for H/P , I hate pushing when I should be riding.

« Last Edit: 11/27/18 at 15:12:48 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #71 - 11/27/18 at 10:59:19

Ruttly wrote on 11/27/18 at 10:24:05:
But do we want to sacrifice dependability for H/P , I hate pushing when I should riding.

I am with you - both in reliability and durability.

Being able to make more power by increasing efficiency and breathing ability should not cause things to wear out or break.  I am pretty satisfied with the increase I got from the Wiseco, cam, carb, light flywheel and mild porting changes - especially since most of my riding is done at 1/2 throttle or less.  I wear my tires out in the curves.....not by accerating hard down the straight sections.

I am not opposed to finding out how things could be improved beyond where we currently are.....is there some HP that has been elusive? Huh    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #72 - 11/27/18 at 11:48:15

All these comments are great.  Everyone has their own personal goals.  Mine just happens to be making a silk purse from a sow's ear.  I know it's not practical, but it certainly is gratifying.

I've had just about every sort of two wheeled vehicle you can think of, from dirt bikes to drag bikes, with cruisers and sport bikes in between.  I've had little two-cylinder two stroke buzz bombs for daily commutes, dressers, scooters, motocross and trail bikes, and a nitrous fed, 171 HP Harley drag bike.  All were a complete kick in the pants.  As one of you folks said "It's all good.".

I bought this Savage purely as a soup up bike.  I wanted to see what I could do with something that had almost no potential.  I owned one of the old four-speed Savages years ago (pre 1990).  I liked it for the look and good low end grunt, but also knew that there wasn't much of a selection of after market parts.  That meant any significant improvements to performance would be a real challenge.  It would require some innovation and a lot of hard work.  So now I'm on my journey.  If the project is a flop, I will still be mighty gratified.  I will learn a lot, and have the pleasure of sharing the information.  I love being on this forum and having the opportunity to learn from all of you, and share with all of you.  I'm getting old and slowin down a bit, but this is one old dog that CAN learn a few new tricks.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #73 - 11/27/18 at 11:56:29

Oh yeah there is still H/P on the table , but is it worth the money and at this point is where we trade H/P for rock solid dependability ! My bike is fast and I haven't even done the stage 3 cam yet and I may not. So ask yourself what you are willing to do about it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #74 - 11/27/18 at 22:14:08

When I started the RYCA tracker project , like DBM it had a plan to be a stock motor with a pipe. Then I was lead astray and jumped in with both feet. But a fantastic project with members to fall back on when I got stuck.
Wish I had 5k to buy another bike and build a motor like DBM has planned.
I know that motor has more to give , I'm just not sure if it would hold together. It really wasn't designed to be heavily modified , unlike the old Yamaha XT/TT/SR 500s ,what a great motor from meek n mild to absolutely gone Wild race engines. I would love to dump about 2k on a next level motor just for fun ,it wouldn't be nothing to look at just a light to light bike. I am accepting donations of spare engines 96 or later , actually any year will do for a mock up motor.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:41:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Baseline Data

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.