Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike has been sitting 5+ Years (Read 98 times)
JMazd6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike has been sitting 5+ Years
01/21/19 at 17:51:08

Hello all, A friend from work has asked me to get his bike running for him. It is a 99 LS650, 5,500mi, Bone stock, and has been sitting for 5+ years with fluids. I finally got the bike running but sounds like a marble is loose in the engine! Ive been lurking for awhile now and just wanted to ask if the cam chain tensioner can go out with only 5,500 mi on it? Maybe not having oil on it for 5 years killed it? So far i have gotten the following done:

Tank was already lined so all i had to do was rinse with new gas a couple times.

Replaced petcock with Raptor

Had to replace Carb as draw tube going from carb body to bowl broke, and the old gas turned into a Green gummy solid inside carb.

Replaced with used 2002 one from ebay ( and got it for under $100!!), went through and cleaned new carb.

Replaced Battery

Changed oil and filter Rottela T 15-40, Going to run engine and change oil/ filter again.

New air filter.

A set of 10" Z bars i had laying around.

Bike started right up when the carb filled with gas and starts every time. The motor just sounds like it has something loose in it. I have rode it around the block and it runs good, just noisy. lol
Im pretty sure its the Cam chain tensioner after searching on here. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Bike has been sitting 5+ Years
Reply #1 - 01/21/19 at 18:24:21

If you are going to change the oil again anyway, go ahead and pull off the right side cover, take a picture and post it. Then we can see if anything LOOKS wrong. The plunger should be out 10 -12 mm or so, normal. Over 16 you need to extend it. If it is running semi-normal the plunger and spring have not come apart, yet. It is possible the tensioner is stuck and the chain is loose, rare, there is a lot of spring pressure on it, but possible.
The valves make noise on this bike when adjusted properly, if you have a windshield that reflects the noise and makes it seem louder. If the valves are silent they are adjusted too tight. No hydrylic lifters here! (I rode my old Honda PC800 for a couple weeks, and got back on the S40 and thought it was going to blow! They are a lot quieter without a windshield.)
After a while you get used to it and it seems ''normal''.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/21/19 at 20:41:58

I'd recommend fogging oil in the cylinder before you start it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/22/19 at 02:07:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/21/19 at 20:41:58:
I'd recommend fogging oil in the cylinder before you start it.

Too late...he already started it.

And.....it sounds like he drained the oil and put in a new filter before he started it - which results in no oil flowing in the engine until the empty oil filter housing and filter are pumped full of oil.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 01/22/19 at 05:05:53

Yeah, I saw that.
I was just lamenting the fact that he asked after he took the steps. Perfectly understandable how someone would do exactly what he did, and maybe he will get away with it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 01/22/19 at 05:08:12

Ohhh yeah, letting it idle on the sidestand leaves the high end of the cam without enough oil. It'll ruin the cam.

IP Logged
JMazd6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/22/19 at 16:28:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/22/19 at 05:08:12:
Ohhh yeah, letting it idle on the sidestand leaves the high end of the cam without enough oil. It'll ruin the cam.

Well crap  Shocked

Im gonna pull the side cover this weekend and check the tensioner, then probably order a Verslavy. The owner also wants it louder and a little more power. I told him we need to get it running right first.lol

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/22/19 at 20:05:56

JMazd6 wrote on 01/21/19 at 17:51:08:

Did you have to get extended cables because of the 10 inch Z Bar? What type of handlebar was on it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 01/22/19 at 20:35:00

Yeah, get it running.
Put some miles on it.
Decide what changes to make.
Louder?
Or running right?
Get a dyna muffler.
Cheap, easy access, and the motor is the right size AND people on the forum can help you tune to it.

IP Logged
JMazd6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/24/19 at 16:50:40

playhard67 wrote on 01/22/19 at 20:05:56:
JMazd6 wrote on 01/21/19 at 17:51:08:

Did you have to get extended cables because of the 10 inch Z Bar? What type of handlebar was on it.

Sorry they are 8" and no extended cables they fit just right. It had the factory bull horn bars.

IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/28/19 at 06:50:51

I have a dyna muffler I will sell you. I bought 2 off eBay . $40 plus shipping

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home