Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Baseline Data (Read 1127 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Cylinder Head Baseline Data
Reply #30 - 11/21/18 at 22:44:34

Very interesting comments.

Batz, I can't comment on the negative pressure wave.  I just don't know enough about the acoustics involved, and I personally am of the opinion that the acoustic wave pretty much only pertains to open exhaust systems.  I can't fully explain why I feel that way, but my gut tells me that if you are dumping this big pile of hot, expanding gas into a can with a bunch of teeny weeny holes, and baffles, and attenuators, the acoustic wave is toast.  You need an abrupt change in diameter and pressure to create the acoustic wave.  All we are getting when the gas enters the muffler is sudden stoppage.  I'm sure that there is a science to all this, and folks with proper credentials have it all figured out, but a shade tree mechanic like me doesn't have the skills or the means to figure it out.  So I have to keep my plans grounded in concepts that are more easily adapted to the shade tree stuff.  For instance, exhaust systems that are significantly less restrictive rather than "tuned".

Regarding your comment about removing material from 3&9 o-clock positions, all I can say is that I've been reading a lot over the last few months.  Pretty much everything I see from the so called experts says you want to increase the radius on the long side to improve the angle of attack, and only smooth the short side radius.  The experts seem to agree that you don't want to remove a lot of material from the short radius because the port volume increases too much and the gas velocity is adversely affected.  What makes this particular discussion interesting is that all the literature I am referring to deals with the roof and floor of the port, not the sides.  But I also must add that the experts rarely discuss the exhaust port, they generally talk to the intake.  The huge differential pressure across the exhaust sort of makes it a non-problem, at least up to a point.

Your comment regarding the converging condition being "bad news" is interesting.  I agree that its a bad design, but I consider it sort of good news since it should be easy to remedy.  Just gotta be prudent with the grinder.

Lancer, I like your question about the header pipe.  Every piece of literature I have read and every formula I have tried indicate that the stock header is grossly undersize.  But on the same topic, I can find formulas that indicate that a 1.75" ID pipe would be ideal, and others that indicate 1.5" ID is the cat's meow.  To complicate the problem, the user of the formula has to come up with the rpm that he or she is shooting for.  That simple question becomes very difficult to answer.  You might think you want max torque somewhere around 4000 rpm only to find out you miss that low end punch.  And then of course that formula stuff is theoretical.  I can tell you this, I installed a MAC header that has a 1.79" ID.  That seemed to me to be way bigger than necessary, so before I bolted the header up, I shoved an 18" section of flexible exhaust pipe down it's throat.  The flex pipe has a 1.5" diameter ID, but its sort of corrugated.  The corrugation feature makes the problem complicated since it adds an unknown that the formulas don't address.  The bike feels great with that set-up, and I've had to drastically increase the jet sizes (usually a good indication).  But honestly, its seat-o-da-pants.  That seat-o-da-pants stuff has bit me in the butt on more than one occasion.  I believe Rutley is running a 1.75" ID header with a 97mm setup, and he seems to like it a lot (Yo, Rutley, I apologize in advance if I got the numbers wrong).  So a trip to the dyno is in order.  But I just can't justify paying for dyno time every time I make a small change.  So the next time I get some dyno data, it will represent a number of changes, and as such, will be impossible to correlate to any one mod.

Regarding smoothing out the sharp edges and opening the outer ring, my opinion is that sounds reasonable and proper.  It seems logical.  I will probably do it unless I find some good reason not to do it.  Smoothing the sharp edges and getting rid of things that upset laminar flow are non-threatening modifications, there is little risk of screwing up the head.  Opening that port exit has some risk but it simply seems too logical.  It makes no sense to neck it down like that.  I will most likely enlarge it to match my final header pipe ID.

Now I have a question for you.  As I recall, you are located out in Henry, Oklahoma.  As far as I know, that's hot-rod country.  You got wide open spaces and plenty of opportunity for the WOT stuff.  I've heard a rumor or two that you have a pretty swift Savage, and of course you have lots of experience with this beast, and what seems to be the inside track on performance parts.  What size header do you run?  Have you tried several size headers, and if so, why did you choose your current header size?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #31 - 11/22/18 at 02:50:50

Interesting info:  here is something I've always wondered: my bike is now shut down until March '19, 1 or 2 of the springs will be compressed for 6 months, some free length. How long can a spring be compressed without damage??????? Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 11/22/18 at 04:37:36

I currently run a header with 1.75”OD & 1.65” ID, all one piece and essentially the same length as the stock header.  I do intend to try a 1.5”ID header at some point though.
Why did I choose this size ?  I had spent a LOT (years) of time shortly after getting my new 96 model Savage in the year 2000 (Fathers Day gift from my son) looking for information on “how to size a header”.  There was lots of discussion but actually finding someone willing to offer guidance seemed to be harder to find.  I ran across a website that sells primarily header parts for those wanting to build automotive headers for whatever purpose they were in to.  “Headers by Ed” was the site.  He has built headers since the late 60’s and his criteria for choosing a particular size & length in the header tubes and collector is solely ET & speed in the 1/4 mi. which is what he built for the most, but’s also included seat of the pants feel when appropriate.
He has a LOT of info on his sight about theory and practical use, one of which is a listing of cylinder size and hp/cylinder being produced by the engine,  and then suggestions of the tube size best to use.  The suggested size for our cylinder is 1.5”-1.65” ideally.  
His rational for what he suggests just made sense to me.  I did not understand everything in the theory but his practical approach was understandable.

« Last Edit: 11/22/18 at 07:03:45 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 11/22/18 at 12:30:28

Zip ,IF your worried about valve spring compression over time ,you need to rotate the piston to TDC on the compression stroke (like when setting valve clearance) when you store the bike, this closes both valves ,allowing the springs to be as fully uncompressed as possible (short of removing them from the motor Smiley )

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #34 - 11/22/18 at 13:21:20

LANCER wrote on 11/22/18 at 04:37:36:
I currently run a header with 1.75”OD & 1.65” ID, all one piece and essentially the same length as the stock header.  I do intend to try a 1.5”ID header at some point though..

Lancer, doesn't your bike have a 97mm piston? If so, 1.5" is going to be a tad on the small side for higher rpm use. That size will put gas velocity near 300fps at 5000 rpm which is a little below where peak HP occurs.. Ideally you would want to be at 290 fps at the peak hp point. What you will gain at lower rpm you will lose at higher rpm with that size. 1.5" or 1.625" ID is a good size for the stock bore. For the 97mm, 1.625" is the smallest you want to use and 1.75" ID is as big as you would want to use.

For the pipe length, that is determined by your cam timing. The formula is (180 + your exhaust valve opening BBDC x 950)/ rpm of your shift rpm=pipe length in inches.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 11/23/18 at 23:11:07

Zipidachimp, Batman hit the nail on the head with his comment about setting engine to TDC compression for storage.  In addition, you could also open the valve covers and back off the adjusters as far as they will allow.  In my racing days, the guys with the fastest iron could always be seen popping their valve covers at the end of the event.  They had the best valve springs so they took care of them.  They would back off  all their adjusters to relieve pressure on the valves & springs.  Then, when they would arrive for the next event, one of the first things you would see them doing was adjusting their valves.  It's a lot of work but a really good set of springs is expensive.

Lance, that was a mighty nice father's day gift.  Sounds like you have a great relationship with your son.  Looks like we all are faced with the same dilemma.  Those pipe formulas are a moving target.  I found another and it wants piston velocity as a data point.  That makes sense but it doesn't take too much searching to figure out that its dark science.  Sounds like I need to check out "Headers by Ed".  You left out an important tid-bit of info.  How does that 1.65" diameter pipe work?

So I took the ball and ran with it.  I didn't map the ports initially, but this discussion motivated me to finish the job I started.  Here is a pic of the exhaust port.  You can see that the cross section at the guide boss is sort of "D" shaped (and it's a mighty tiny capital D).  The dimensions at that cross section are .66" tall by .96" wide.  If you treat that like about two-thirds of a .96" diameter circle, you get .48 square inches of cross section.  That's 50% of the valve cross section.  

Exh_Port_Run.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 11/23/18 at 23:14:39

So I got out the inside calipers, a dial caliper, and some copper wire and mapped out the port.  The copper wire works great.  You form it to hug the surface of the port, then lay it on a sketch with several data points mapped out and trace the wire with a pencil.  Here's what I managed to sketch for the exhaust port.

Exh_Port_Map.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 11/23/18 at 23:18:18

That exhaust port is one chop suey port.  Now that we have a fairly accurate sketch, we can mark it up and share our ideas with everyone else.  Just print it out, mark it up with a colored pencil, and attach it to your post.

Here's a sketch of the intake (a much better port).

Int_Port_Map.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 11/23/18 at 23:23:05

I hope the sketches are useful to all.  I'm already thinking about a few improvements that have potential.  If you have some ideas, mark up a sketch and post it.  Looks to me like the exhaust is even more choked off than I imagined.  Maybe I should reevaluate my comment regarding the big differential pressure.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #39 - 11/24/18 at 04:50:12

Excellent! Thanks for sharing your hard work.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #40 - 11/24/18 at 04:57:53

DragBikeMike wrote on 11/23/18 at 23:11:07:
Lancer, that was a mighty nice father's day gift.  Sounds like you have a great relationship with your son.  Looks like we all are faced with the same dilemma.  Those pipe formulas are a moving target.  I found another and it wants piston velocity as a data point.  That makes sense but it doesn't take too much searching to figure out that its dark science.  Sounds like I need to check out "Headers by Ed".  You left out an important tid-bit of info.  How does that 1.65" diameter pipe work?

I have 3 kids & 11 grands, a son and 2 daughters.  I was intimately involved in my kids lives daily from the day they were born and have been blessed with great relationships with all of them.  Daily involvement, consistency in teaching and discipline when needed, and all that wrapped in lots of love will yield wonderful benefits for the rest of my life.  They are 43, 42 and 39 now.  I am blessed.

The engine runs very strong, from just off idle up to redline.  It pulls hard enough to require some effort to hang on, you cannot just sit back as if on a stroll.  I get a bit of a wobble above 80 so I need to address that still but I don't typically go there very often.  I think the pipe is sized well for the engine.

Fast650:  Yes, I have a 97 piston in it, Stage 3 cam and a 36mm round slide with UFO, DAJ & TW.  I also have the Barnett clutch pal though don't think it is really needed unless doing a lot of 0-60 & 1/4 mi. runs.  The stock clutch did well until after 8-10 such runs before it began to slip a bit.

These are the basic charts Ed has that are designed to help with making choices on pipe size.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 11/24/18 at 05:35:42

That is one incredibly ugly exhaust port.....hard to believe that Briggs and Stratton didn't help with the design (or lack of design).

I guess it works as designed - but it makes you wonder why they didn't do a better job of making the exhaust port.  Does the weird design somehow favor low speed operation over the ability to make HP?  Does the weird exhaust port and restrictive ring just before the header gasket somehow fit into the "low HP cruiser" plan?  Did Suzuki intentionally make this bike "constrained" - so you would want to move up to something more powerful?

Even with the poor design and low HP - I really do enjoy the way my modified Savage runs.  It can break the speed limit on every highway in the US, it can go 0-60mph in around 5 seconds and it accelerates quickly enough to 80 mph that I can stay well ahead of most traffic, and so far it has proven to be very reliable.

I love tinkering (95mm Wiseco, Stage 3 cam, 34mm Mikuni, cleaned up the intake/exhaust port, lightened flywheel, etc).......but I am also OK that my Savage is not 50HP.  I have always enjoyed the challenge of riding slow bikes fast.

I often wonder if the flow of the exhaust port can support (or requires) the extra valve lift of the performance cams?  Currently my bike runs really strong in the low to middle rpm ...then the engine begins to feel like it is working hard to make power as it gets up toward 6,500 rpm.  I need to work on my exhaust system and see if maybe it is a bit too restrictive to support upper rpm power.  I am running the stock header and a muffler I built that requires the exhaust to pass through 2 baffles - one is removable....so I should take it out and see if performance improves without the bike becoming too loud.  I have been planning on making a 1.5" header for several years - maybe this is the year I will actually get it done.

Keep up the exploring DragBikeMike....maybe you will end up with the worlds fastest Savage!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #42 - 11/24/18 at 07:59:16

but I am also OK that my Savage is not 50HP.  I have always enjoyed the challenge of riding slow bikes fast.

Making riding a Savage a near orgasmic event.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 11/24/18 at 13:32:46

Lancer, thanks for Ed's cheat sheet.  Makes things pretty simple.  I think you have the perfect recipe for raising kids, and grandkids.  Sounds like they all turned out great.  Nice job.

Both you and Dave are running stage 3 cams.  Are you guys running those cams with stock valve springs, or do you have a better set of springs installed?  What can you tell me about the performance spring kit that Web provides?  Do you sell those springs or would we have to go directly to Web to get a set?  Does the kit come with retainers and keepers?  Are the retainers titanium and are they cut back on the underside to accommodate more lift?

The stock springs and retainers limit travel a bit.  With the stock setup and the stage 3 you should only have about .037" clearance at max lift.  Would be nice to have more since the stock springs are pretty soft.  Did you guys do anything to address that?  If not, then its a pretty forgiving system.

Dave, regarding your comment about the "restrictive ring just before the header gasket", based on the measurements I took at location "B", that 1.34" ring at location "D" shouldn't be holding anything back on the stock configured port.  The cross section at "D" is about 150% of the two "B" cross sections combined.  Shouldn't have to do anything at "D" until those bottlenecks are improved or eliminated.

Please let us know about your springs and retainers.  It would be very helpful.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #44 - 11/24/18 at 17:40:57

Dave said,

"I often wonder if the flow of the exhaust port can support (or requires) the extra valve lift of the performance cams?  Currently my bike runs really strong in the low to middle rpm ...then the engine begins to feel like it is working hard to make power as it gets up toward 6,500 rpm."

The fact that the performance cams have extra exhaust valve lift is probably the reason they work so well. The extra lift keeps the valve head farther out of the exhaust stream, and the lift adds to the duration ,giving added time to extract exhaust gases. At 6500 rpm that is about 18.4 milliseconds, and our ugly port needs all the help it can get, but perhaps that isn't enough. It maybe that the intake ,with 36 VM carb  is too effective, or the fact that the domed 97 mm piston which protrudes into the combustion chamber(making it smaller) ,causes a higher percentage of exhaust gases to fuel/air  mix,(there are exhaust gases left behind anytime the motor exceeds peak torque 3500 to 4000rpm ) It may pay to try decreasing intake valve lift or to try wave tuning the exhaust,  shortening the Exhaust header from the stock length of 32 inches ,toward the limit of 30 inches may increase scavenging rate for the motor at those higher RPM's.(the wave reverses at the exhaust's first enlargement , the wave travels at the speed of sound-mach 1 - exhaust gases travel down the pipe at about 350 feet/per second) . removing the baffle in the muffler may have little effect.     All this is of course OPINION .

« Last Edit: 11/24/18 at 21:02:51 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 00:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Baseline Data

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.