Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Baseline Data (Read 1127 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Cylinder Head Baseline Data
Reply #90 - 12/05/18 at 15:56:51

Our combustion chamber is a small flat space with the spark plug centered, so what more can be done EFFECTIVELY to increase fuel burn to produce more power ?
Seems like addressing the exhaust port would be more beneficial, as well as bumping the CR up another point.

The stock DR650 had a 9.7:1 CR, & a wide open exhaust port.  The stock DR piston is also a flat top and a 95mm bore so I assume the piston set slightly higher in the tube to create the added point of the CR.   With that said and all the additional info shared in this and other threads, I now believe that we need to increase the height of the piston crown to bring up our CR to a true 10.5-11.5 range...safe space permitting of course.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #91 - 12/05/18 at 17:31:43

I'm reminded of the table in the student union building where the geeks with slide rules, pocket protectors and Dungeon and Dragon game pieces in their pockets congregated.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #92 - 12/05/18 at 18:40:44

Bumping up the CR, from an already high one, will do little, raising compression from the first point,8.5 to 9.5 shows the most  increase of about 5.5 % more power  ,then raising it from 9.5 to 10.5  only shows about  2.2% more. Raising CR to 11.5 might be a wasted effort if increasing piston dome height, because you're also making the combustion chamber smaller,which means less room for the incoming fuel/air charge.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #93 - 12/05/18 at 21:59:18

Actually, the benefit from increasing compression height (wrist pin centerline to top of piston), would be establishment of an actual quench zone.  With the current design, there really isn't a quench zone (tight clearance between the overhanging head surfaces and the top of the piston).  Reports on this forum state that there is something on the order of .160"+ between piston top and cylinder head when the piston is at TDC.  It should be .040" or less.  If the piston compression height were increased to establish .040" quench, and the pop-top removed (i.e. flat top piston) you end up with increased compression ratio plus a reasonable quench clearance.

So how do we go about getting these flat top pistons with increased compression height?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #94 - 12/06/18 at 00:37:21

Well we could start by removing the gasket under the cylinder using a very thin layer of sealer  should work, but that would only shave about .018 off the quench, not much,  but it's a start. The  problem of shaving the cylinder head and removing this gasket to achieve proper quench would be to deal with the slack this would put in the cam chain.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #95 - 12/06/18 at 03:52:07

So on the original version of my engine when I had the head shaved .015”  and the cylinder shaved .025” for a total of .040” with 94.5” bore and a Suzuki flat top piston, Compression would be brought up to ..... ??

It did run very well with the original Stage 1 cam and 36 VM.

This would leave the quench zone intact.
My cam chain was not just flopping around, there did not seem to be any noticeable change in the chain tension.  The tensioner may have been out ever so slightly more, but for a change of just o.o4” ... REALLY ?
I have a hard time seeing any issues with the chain.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #96 - 12/06/18 at 04:42:02

We had a thread on the squish and piston/head clearance a while back before DragBikeMike came along, and Batman brought up the Somander Singh grooves......it did not come to any fruition.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1518089629/0

The Wiseco literature claims their pistons provide a 10.5:1 compression - however I believe that number comes from the DR650 application, and not for the piston when used in the LS650.  At this point, nobody knows for sure what the actual Compression is when the piston is used in the Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #97 - 12/06/18 at 08:01:44

Lancer, the stock head is 57cc when the stock quench is added ,total volume comes to 87cc. Your removal of .040 would reduce that to about 80cc ,using the formula for compression  that would work out to; 80+652/80 =9.15 :1 .but this doesn't take into account the reduction caused by a domed piston ,use of the domed DR piston would drive compression higher .and reduce chamber volume .If someone could determine the displacement of just the domed area of the DR piston we could subtract that from 80 and get a hint of what the actual compression is in our bikes using it.
  The problem with the cam chain isn't that it's flopping around ,its that the slack caused by your .040 reduction is really seen as .080 for the double sided chain ,and all of that is taken up on the back side by the cam chain adjuster. How much does that retard valve timing? has the chain ages it becomes worse. how does this affect performance?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #98 - 12/06/18 at 08:53:13

Someone came up with a way to advance the cam by moving a gear on a spline, IIRC. Was it Arlen?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #99 - 12/06/18 at 08:54:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/06/18 at 08:53:13:
Someone came up with a way to advance the cam by moving a gear on a spline, IIRC. Was it Arlen?

It was Armen.

I have linked the thread a time or two....I don't know where that thread is at the moment - it would take some searching to find it.  It involves the fact that the number of splines where the crank sprocket mounts is different than the number of teeth - so by turning the sprocket on the crank and moving the chain on the teeth, you can advance/retard the timing in pretty small increments.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #100 - 12/06/18 at 09:16:48

and the advance was 2.58 degrees.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #101 - 12/06/18 at 09:38:36

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #102 - 12/06/18 at 12:09:23

Well, put the dang thing somewhere safe..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #103 - 12/06/18 at 12:41:25

batman wrote on 12/06/18 at 08:01:44:
Lancer, the stock head is 57cc when the stock quench is added ,total volume comes to 87cc. Your removal of .040 would reduce that to about 80cc ,using the formula for compression  that would work out to; 80+652/80 =9.15 :1 .but this doesn't take into account the reduction caused by a domed piston ,use of the domed DR piston would drive compression higher .and reduce chamber volume .If someone could determine the displacement of just the domed area of the DR piston we could subtract that from 80 and get a hint of what the actual compression is in our bikes using it.
  The problem with the cam chain isn't that it's flopping around ,its that the slack caused by your .040 reduction is really seen as .080 for the double sided chain ,and all of that is taken up on the back side by the cam chain adjuster. How much does that retard valve timing? has the chain ages it becomes worse. how does this affect performance?

So you are saying that the extra slack in the chain caused by the reduction causes the timing to be retarded ?
If that is the case then why is the timing not retarded when the chain just naturally stretches ?  Isn't that the same thing ?  Both create extra slack.  I thought the chain would have to slip a notch to do such a thing, or a new pin hole created to manually shift the sprocket position.
The timing is held in place by the bottom drive sprocket and the cam sprocket on top (the chain is in tension on this front side) and that does not change regardless of the amount of slack on the back side.

Am I missing something here ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #104 - 12/06/18 at 12:53:57

The timing is held in place by the bottom drive sprocket and the cam sprocket on top (the chain is in tension on this front side) and that does not change regardless of the amount of slack on the back side.

The chain stretch allows the cam to slowly retard. Since a bit more than half the chain is trailing, less than half of the chain stretch is between the crankshaft and cam. Hafta do the math to determine exactly how many degrees of rotation the change in the length of the links between crank and cam would create.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:44:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Baseline Data

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.