Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th (Read 977 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: TRIP TO SUCHES GEORGIA - May 30 to June 3rd
Reply #15 - 02/22/18 at 06:27:23

This trip to Suches most likely won't include a trip to the Dragon....although it could happen if somebody really wants to go there.

One trip that is nice is to leave the Two Wheels of Suches and ride north on Wolf Pen Gap to 19 North, then ride to Tellico Plains and stop for lunch at Kats Deli, then ride the Cherohala Skyway...then on the east end of Cherohala you can ride 129 South and return to Suches.....or we can ride over to South on 28 through Franklin and go south until we reach Warwoman.....then go east to Clayton.....then find our way back to Suches.  I believe it is an all day ride of about 300 miles - and it has a nice mix of roads (with a few pesky towns to ride through where we can stop to get fuel).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 02/22/18 at 06:49:11

I am perfectly fine if we don't reach TOD. I'll ride it if it's there or someone else really wants to go early in the morning.  I have gotten that out of my blood and have nothing to prove.

Otherwise, I am an easy riding companion...all of the other routes and way points for lunch and fuel stops, etc. sound good to me.

Note for this year's route: THIS gas station didn't have gas.  Grin

IMG_20170721_163951.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 02/22/18 at 07:05:39

stewmills wrote on 02/22/18 at 06:49:11:
Note for this year's route: THIS gas station didn't have gas.  Grin

Is that your helmet, gloves and bra in the photo?

They didn't have a working restroom either.....and they had security cameras to deter you peeing behind the building.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 02/22/18 at 11:24:27

Dave wrote on 02/22/18 at 07:05:39:
Is that your helmet, gloves and bra in the photo?

Looks like a "Kentucky" helmet and gloves to me  Wink

Bra, well, I didn't catch her name. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 02/22/18 at 15:45:50

They didn't have a working restroom either.....and they had security cameras to deter you peeing behind the building.  

You mean my  Huh Huh Huh may be on u-tube , how embarrassing  Embarrassed

I hope I was the one with my back to the camera !

Roll Eyes

Now the camp at Suches , don't have cameras anywhere besides the shower room  do they ?   Lips Sealed

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 02/23/18 at 04:46:36

The campsite and restrooms at TWS are convenient....and there are lots of trees.  There is a large central bath house....and the lodge has 2 bathrooms that stay open all night.  We can pick a spot close to the necessary rooms.

I really like the Two Wheels of Suches - the place is clean, the meals are great, and the owner and staff is really friendly.  The bikers that show up are a bit less rowdy than the folks at Deals Gap, and the crowds are much smaller.

The only real downside for me is the 8 hour drive to get there.....I can get to Deals Gap, the Kickstand Lodge or Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground with about 2 hours less driving However.......the Suches area may be more accessible to those who live in the south.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 04/17/18 at 07:23:44

Bump.....this thread is still active and I have my calendar marked.

I just checked Accuweather to see if GA has warmed up yet, and the next few weeks could provide 60 degree riding days - but the nights are down in the 40's - which is just a bit too cold for me to go camping!

Looking ahead to May....the night temperatures creep up into the 50's - so it does appear the end of May/June weekend that we have scheduled is about as early as we can schedule and have tolerable night time temperatures.

Maybe.......a "global warming" weekend event could be scheduled on short notice if some weekend proves to be warm and dry enough.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 04/18/18 at 20:23:35

I'm still good with the last of May time .   Glad to have that trip on my agenda !   Smiley

I might want to bring the Guzzi ?? if that's OK with you fellers .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 04/19/18 at 01:59:02

I'm fine with the Guzzi.....as long as you can sit in the saddle all day!

We don't have to ride all day every day - but there is great opportunity for some 300 mile days in the area.  One very nice trip is to go up to Tellico Plains, ride the Cherohala Skyway, then go over to the north end of 28 at Deals Gap (Dragon ride optional), the ride south on 28 to Warwoman, then go west into Clayton, then back to Suches.

Other good rides that are good for sightseeing and eating are going over to the Natahala in the morning to watch them turn the river "ON" and see the first folks in kayaks and rafts catch the rapids.

Going to the favorite roads like Wayman is also doable, Wolf Pen Gap is a hoot with the incredibly tight turns and steep grades (when it is not raining), and 19 is full of fun hills and curves!  Stewmills wants to take us to his restaurant on Wayman, and the restaurant up at Chatuge Lake is a really nice place with a 2nd floor patio and great affordable food.

https://eatsleepride.com/c/42358/the_suches_loop_aka_georgias_dragon

« Last Edit: 04/19/18 at 04:32:03 by Dave »  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 04/19/18 at 10:42:58

Smiley

Sounds like I might to Follow this trip , and that's OK .   I talked with OldFeller this morning and if he's bringing the Barcalounger then I'll bring the Cruiser I've got left too.  I'm working on putting a "light-bar" on it , (bought for the Spotster and didn't fit).   I understand folks pulling out in front of ya is indirectly related  to the number of headlight you have  !  Grin

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 04/19/18 at 18:24:16

You can bring any bike you want MM.....you won't have any trouble riding all day.  I am bringing the big tent - so you won't need to pack a tent.

Here is the observation area at the Ocoee River........we can ride up to that area on a weekend day and watch the rafting (they don't turn the river on during the week)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwX-4hlXnUI

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 04/19/18 at 20:57:56

better than watching a play and the show is free at the scenic overlooks , what's not to like about that !  Grin

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 05/12/18 at 20:54:51

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/may-weather/2153437

Oh, that evil evil weatherman is back again .....       Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 05/13/18 at 03:39:00

That sure looks like a wet month!

Suches is not a very good place to be in the wet, as the roads are curvy and the hills pretty steep.   I don't like riding in the rain but wet roads don't really scare me - but Wolf Pen Gap is treacherous in the wet (MM and Stewmills and I rode up it about a mile when the road was wet from a storm that had passed....it was very slow going).

We will just have to wait and see.  I will bring the little Ninja if the chances of rain are likely, as it doesn't throw water all over me like the Savage Cafe' bike does.  If it looks like a washout we just need to consider going another weekend when weather is better.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 05/13/18 at 12:34:00

A thought .....

Plug in your planned location at Daniel Boon Forest and see what the weather looks like there.

Ditto for Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, they will each have somewhat different weather patterns.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 10:40:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.