Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th (Read 977 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: TRIP TO SUCHES GEORGIA - May 30 to June 3rd
Reply #30 - 05/13/18 at 12:36:28

A thought .....

Plug in your planned location at Daniel Boon Forest and see what the weather looks like there.

Ditto for Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, they will each have somewhat different weather patterns.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 05/13/18 at 13:47:39

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/13/18 at 12:36:28:

A thought .....

Plug in your planned location at Daniel Boon Forest and see what the weather looks like there.

Ditto for Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, they will each have somewhat different weather patterns.

Daniel Boone area shows a somewhat wet forecast:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/london-ky/40741/june-weather/333298?monyr=6...

Blueridge Campground area is simalary wet:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/waynesville-nc/28786/june-weather/334806?mo...

Suches updated:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/june-weather/2153437?monyr=...

« Last Edit: 05/14/18 at 05:32:03 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #32 - 05/14/18 at 14:23:44

I'm still in!  Sorry, just haven't been on the forum a lot lately. Been on vacation, traveling with work, lots of spring projects around the house, etc....but I'm still here  Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 05/14/18 at 15:30:24

Well looky who is here...."Stew without the wart" (as Mo calls you)!

I almost stuck a photo of you on the side of a milk carton you have been missing so long!

We are counting on you to show up in Suches at some point....my arrival/departure date may slide around a bit as the weather forecast changes.  No need to arrive when it is raining! Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 05/15/18 at 05:54:08

Last year my head plug gave me a "warning leak" on the first morning ride when Oldfeller and I went to the IHOP in Robbinsville - thankfully it only leaked on that one short ride and stopped leaking as we left to ride the Cherohala Skyway and meet MMRanch on his way in.

So I decided to go ahead and replace the head plug and tore the bike apart on Sunday when it was just too hot to work outside in the afternoon sun.

I believe I got a bit carried away (replacing cam chain with Lancer's Nitrided chain, replacing Stage 1 cam with Stage 3, installing Kevlar clutch plates and EBC springs, torquing head bolts and resealing the copper washers to stop oil weeps, replacing the middle weight Armen flywheel with a smaller one).

I have a bit of work to get finished this week, as I need to ride it around for a week to break in the cam and make sure everything works - then do a valve adjustment before I head off to Suches for a bunch of 200-300 miles riding days!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #35 - 05/15/18 at 06:16:36

Dave wrote on 05/14/18 at 15:30:24:
Well looky who is here...."Stew without the wart" (as Mo calls you)!

Yeah, I wonder if our stickers are still intact?

I was working real hard last week (see pic).  I would like to say that this was with or for the kids, but unfortunately it was me and my 22 year old nephew.

As far as riding days, I am flexible as well depending on what the weather does. I am not 100% positive of my exact arrival day as I'm juggling a few things including the weather, but I'm still in.

IMG_20180511_151311_edit.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 05/18/18 at 20:51:48

Bump for the latest weather, we are only 2 weeks out at this time and I think we have been living the REAL Suches weather pattern for the entire east coast for the last week week and a half.

Still, it looks solid enough to GO !!! at this point in time.

Do we have a "show up to help assemble the tent" time yet?

Dave wrote on 05/13/18 at 13:47:39:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/13/18 at 12:36:28:

A thought .....

Daniel Boone area shows a somewhat wet forecast:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/london-ky/40741/june-weather/333298?monyr=6...

Blueridge Campground area is simalary wet:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/waynesville-nc/28786/june-weather/334806?mo...

Suches updated:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/june-weather/2153437?monyr=...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 05/19/18 at 04:27:16

Yes, the weather is looking better.  I don't really know exactly what day I am going to head down to GA, as it really is weather dependent.  It does look like the chances of dry weather are good for most days - but there is a chance of scattered showers almost any day.

I am likely to watch the weather on Sunday (27th) and make a decision to drive leave in the afternoon and arrive Sunday night if the weather is really nice in the first part of the week.  If Mon/Tues have high chances of rain I will likely wait until mid-week to arrive.

There is no need to pre-plan some exact time to set up the Mega-tent, as I can sleep in the trailer until other folks arrive.  I have no problem arriving early and riding alone if the weather permits.....if the weather at the end of the week/weekend proves to be foul - I may take my tent and go home!  I don't know if Stew is riding in.....or if he is bringing his truck.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 05/20/18 at 07:25:31

We are inside the "relatively accurate" weather prediction zone and it looks pretty good.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #39 - 05/21/18 at 16:11:34

I hope you all have a great weekend.  Although it's only a little over 3 hours from me, I doubt seriously that I will have the time to come visit.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 05/21/18 at 17:22:33

MM, are you planning on going?   I am planning on going, and may actually go a day early and could bunkhouse with Mo for a night should Dave decide to delay a bit due to what all he has going on leading in to that weekend.

Or else maybe hit some freebee spots up by the Dragon (Tapco) or down by Robbinsville Santeetla Lake area.

https://freecampsites.net/#!Robbinsville,+NC,+USA

Weather is looking pretty good ....

There is also a freebe campground (Appalachian trailhead campground on 60 Hwy just a few miles south of Two Wheels of Suches) that has a generous two week stay restriction to it.

https://freecampsites.net/#!110650&query=sitedetails

This Woody Gap area is very near to Two Wheels of Suches, with both being on Hwy 60.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 05/21/18 at 18:21:30

My wife and I went up to the Woody Gap trailhead one night....the sky was very clear and the view of the stars was incredible.  There are hiking trails at that location....it may even be a place where the Appalachian Trail crosses the road.  The campsites were just flat spots alongside the trail, and the bathrooms were chemical toilets......I don't remember them having any water.

The more I look at the weather.....the more I believe I will be driving down on Tuesday afternoon, and it is an 8 hour drive for me and I may not make it the entire way and I may stop to sleep and make the rest of the trip early on Wednesday morning.....however if the weather forecast turns favorable - I may come earlier.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 05/21/18 at 19:45:11

Tuesday prior or Tuesday following the first of the month?    Or would it be better to wait until this upcoming weekend to ask such questions, as by then it will be as clear as mountain weather ever really gets to be.

Applying dates always helps me with the confusion factor, lots of times it is perfectly clear to the person saying it and then MM or I get confused because we are off a week in our heads to the current discussed plans --- generally we are in two different directions, too.

Wink

« Last Edit: 05/22/18 at 06:49:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 05/22/18 at 04:04:49

The focus week is the May 30 - June 3rd.  The weather forecast is changing daily, and the most recent forecast doesn't look all that cheery.  We will just have to wait and see how things look.  It seems that the way some folks ride in this area in summer is to get out early and get the riding in while things are dry - then find some place undercover when the 2-6 PM thunderstorms show up.

In the current forecast the thunderstorms are expected for Monday/Tuesday and the rest of the week looks a bit better.....so I was planning on coming down Tuesday for riding starting on Wednesday.  I will have to leave on June 3rd (Sun) as I have a Council Meeting and need to be back to work on Monday (June 4th).

« Last Edit: 05/22/18 at 06:10:50 by Dave »  

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #44 - 05/22/18 at 07:27:54

I am trucking the bike as usual.  I am flexible on dates right now. I actually had to cancel my other Dragon trip last weekend on account of my riding partner was in the hospital with very serious health issues which thankfully he is recovering very well from now.

So....if we need to talk about juggling dates let's talk. My goal of course is to arrive maybe late Thu in order to ride all day Fri and Sat and some Sun.  That keeps me from having to take too much time off work during the week if possible.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:11:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › SUCHES GEORGIA TRIP 2.0 - REVISED June 4th to 9th

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.