Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Beer budget board tracker (Read 6888 times)
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Beer budget board tracker
Reply #210 - 12/29/17 at 14:39:07

Some progress on the leather.  Wet forming is not too difficult but I found out if you clamp the pressure needs to be well distributed.  It dents easily when wet and does not relax even with re-wetting. Drying on convection at very low temperature seems to work okay.

« Last Edit: 04/30/18 at 04:34:02 by sandmanred »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #211 - 12/29/17 at 19:05:52

Will you oil the leather when it's done ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #212 - 12/29/17 at 20:08:20

Ruttly wrote on 12/29/17 at 19:05:52:
Will you oil the leather when it's done ?

Yes, started finishing today.  I plan to dye it and then waterproof it. Dyeing didn't go too well  Sad.  The front or top accepted the dye reasonably well but the back drank it up.  I splashed some on the back to try to get it on as it was soaking in so fast and I was struggling to get even and that was a big mistake.  It soaked right through to the front.  It's not as bad now a after drying for a few hours but it's pretty uneven.  I'll sleep on it and decide what to later.  I might re-make the sling or try to salvage by going darker or just leave it for a while, plenty of other things to do and it's certainly good enough for shakedown runs.  The screws are temporary, once I get it finished I'll use copper rivets.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #213 - 12/30/17 at 03:17:59

If you can't get the dye corrected - maybe you could glue a thin stretchable layer of leather on top to provide the visible finish.

You could stay with the simple brown - or find something with a pattern like snake.....or with fur!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #214 - 12/30/17 at 10:46:44

I'm not a leather working guy,but it looks like natural oils are in it where the stain didn't go.
Talk to someone who does leather for a living.
Or, hit the leather with something that would knock out oil.
Or, go with a veneer,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #215 - 12/30/17 at 11:04:19

Put your butt on it and ride it -- it will change over time and weather to be what it is going to be anyway which is an ever changing gradient of color according to rain, sweat, pop can condensation rings, etc. etc.

Use of a shoe leather stain will change the density of the tone, temporarily.   So will preservative neat's foot oil and rain water.

When you oil it or wax it periodically to keep it from cracking you will bring out the natural finish that your butt rubbing on it will polish up very nicely.

Natural leather is not something commonly seen on seats for a reason -- folks will think it has lots of real character over time ......

Be aware that whatever you put on it is going onto and into your pants seat and legs .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #216 - 12/30/17 at 14:06:16

It got a little better with another coat.  Good enough to let it be for now.  If I was to do it over there would a bunch of things I'd do different but it's actually pretty comfortable especially supported by the air shock.  There are rings at the edges of the areas I slopped it on the back that probably won't ever even out.  They have topcoats that range from oils and waxes to acrylics and laquers.  I'm think laquer is a pretty good choice for the bottom and edges but might go with a wax or an acrylic on top, the laquer looks kind of faky.

« Last Edit: 04/30/18 at 04:34:42 by sandmanred »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #217 - 12/31/17 at 06:56:02

Mink oil and blue jeans.
Ride it/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #218 - 01/01/18 at 15:49:21

Smokin Blue stopped by the other day to take a look and among all his other valuable input gave me a concept that got me fired up about handle bars.  So even though it's frickin cold in the garage I got a first draft started.  As with some of the other elements of the build this is something that's not easy to for me to draw on paper so I'm drafting in steel again  Smiley   If I can get a geometry that's pleasing for looks and grip I'll clean up and cap the point  with carriage bolt head to finish it off.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #219 - 01/06/18 at 14:02:59

Version one bars tacked in place.  I was thinking about rotating them forward a bit more but this is the limit with them capped to a point.  I would have to cut the tip off and cap them separately if I want them set higher.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: 04/30/18 at 04:35:28 by sandmanred »  
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #220 - 01/06/18 at 16:02:18

Looks LOW!!What is the seat height, freestanding, and sitting on it?
Post a picture sitting on it so we can see where you have to reach to grip the bars. Sometimes things that look ''cool'', or ''right'' just don't work out after 50 miles down the road. (apehangers come to mind)
The old board track racers had low swept back bars to get the rider down and out of the wind, and they never had to turn them very far cause of the banking, they would hit the tank. Clip-ons weren't thought of yet.
I know you are going for the boardtrack style, not a exact replica. The tank is where you will be challenged to look period, but still be useful however you intend on riding it.
Are you going with a hand shiftier and foot clutch?
Looks awesome so far!

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #221 - 01/06/18 at 17:09:30

Seat is about 24-25 inches off the ground.  This about the forward lean I like, enough you don't have to pull against the wind at cruising speed.

« Last Edit: 04/30/18 at 04:36:22 by sandmanred »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #222 - 01/06/18 at 17:13:36

I wish I could express what it feels like to see you have it so far along so quickly.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #223 - 01/06/18 at 17:41:31

Those bars look like they fit you very well!
Where will the pegs/boards go? Forward for comfort, or mid-bike, or under you?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #224 - 01/06/18 at 21:23:25

So very cool , you must be itchin to ride it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 32
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 23:02:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Beer budget board tracker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.