Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2017 (Read 3501 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Savage Events for 2017
Reply #285 - 05/04/17 at 11:34:30

I will be at the Dragon next Fri, Sat and Sun (May 12-14) with my friend's veterans group (lots of Harley's..). Staying at Two Wheel Inn. If anyone else in in the area next weekend let me know.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #286 - 05/04/17 at 17:39:07

It was just an idea.   The weather is going to be GREAT ! . and we missed out about a week ago.

could be ... I'm just itching for an outing  ???  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #287 - 05/04/17 at 18:03:00

No, it is good that you asked.   I thought about it and I am now taking off the 11th through the 19th, combining my normal days off on two separate weeks with 5 days of vacation.

Kickstand doesn't start until the 13th so if you wanted to go bedroll on the ground at Santeetlah a day early we could do that.

Now this is my current theoretical thinking, my big bike is tall enough and plenty solid enough to support one side of a lean to.  

Only purpose of the lean to is to keep the light rain or dew off of you while you are sleeping.  Tarp is the same thing I use to wrap the sleeping bag for waterproofing so that rides with me anyways.    Ride up to the free camping spot, gage the prevailing direction of the wind and set the bike up so a sudden breeze doesn't blow it over on you.   Attach and stake the tarp cover down, set the air mattress and bag up, go to sleep.

In any case, everybody all say when you are thinking about showing up at Kickstand so we can all be consistent on the show up day at Kickstand.   Leaving can be raggedy, but show up needs to be consistent with the man driving the trailer with the big tent inside it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #288 - 05/04/17 at 18:03:03

MM, I am going to Augusta in the morning. Will be there all weekend for a Roller Derby Tournament. It would not that much farther for you, would it? You could get in some miles and check out women knocking the snot out of each other. Let me know if you would like to come.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #289 - 05/04/17 at 18:33:05

THESE EVENTS ARE IN PLANNING AND DISCUSSION RIGHT UP TO THE GO DAY -- THE CONCRETE HAS NOT SET COMPLETELY YET UNTIL IT IS OVER.     I am still plugging in names as people show interest, this gives us a tool for seeing who is really going plus the folks who are going can start the refinement process on dates and activities.

So far we got the following items left in the rough order of doing them.   Adding something is easy, talk it up some, put a firm date to it and we will see if folks are interested by if they sign up for it.

Lancer Oklahoma trip    extended to 19-28 May   Lancer,  Kenny G,  MM,  Springman,  Verslagen,  Justin,  Springman's BIL Steve,

Kickstand Lodge   June 14-18    Dave,  Oldfeller,  MM,  Stewmills,  RaleighGuy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZGNOB5m5Ro&t=166s
http://kickstandlodge.com/rates.html
From here it is a short hop up to the Dragon, and to all the really neat surrounding roads we love to ride.    For East Coast beginners, this is one of the closest (and the BEST) Southeastern trip possible.   Some have argued the area is the BEST BIKING IN AMERICA and I might have to agree with them.  

We also have a 1 day (2 man) prequel of sorts planned on June 12th with Oldfeller and MM going and checking out the Santeetlah Lake free camping, since until you have actually done it you really can't speak to it pro or con.

Indian Paintbrush Campground in Ty Denver  Late July  NEED FIRM DATES   Verslagen,  Springman,  old.indian, Thumperclone

MM's farm     Sept 8, 9 & 10    MM,  Oldfeller,  Dave,  Lancer,  StewMills

And here is a tool to use in locating some no cost camping when travelling to get to the rides:

https://freecampsites.net

« Last Edit: 05/22/17 at 07:35:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #290 - 05/04/17 at 19:59:01

so if you wanted to go bedroll on the ground at Santeetlah a day early we could do that.  

I cot if possible , but can do the air-mat if needed.  I have two tents :  
1.   8 x 10 x 72"
2.   8 x 8 x 56"
either one fits nicely under the triple tree , the small one is thicker and stronger.   The oldest one is only 3 years old .  

I slept under a lean-to tarp on the way to Texas last year and it worked good.   I stopped at the Texas welcome center and trucks and RVs were camping for the night so I pulled off the main area (behind a tree , sorta) , and did just what you (OldFeller) said.   Tarp (8x10) pegged to the ground and tied it to the bike.   Woke-up the next morning to the sound of a weedeater in the distance.  Yea , had a dusk to dawn nap !  Smiley

I've got a motion detector and buzzer combo from Harbor Freight.  The buzzer sleeps under my pillow when I sleep on top of it.  Wink  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #291 - 05/05/17 at 20:54:31

It's a deal, June 12 camp out at Santeetlah, likely we will meet up at the Hub as a good place to meet.  

Need a meet up time, adjusted for local time vs Tennessee time of course.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #292 - 05/05/17 at 21:59:15

Thanks for the invite badwolf   Smiley

Our CMA group has a ride Saturday .

June 12 , (a day early) ... Let us hope the weather is on our side this time !  Roll Eyes

I've been ridding the Suzuki just about everywhere during the last month and it seems to be running GREAT.   I haven't had the Harley cranked up unless the wife want to go (seat is longer).

That little China speedometer I first put on the S-40 went crazy after only 2584kms , so I had to replace it.  So , now the Suzuki has a metric Honda Rebel speedometer , it looks good and my bike is extreamly low mileage again !  Grin    But the speedometer and the GPS agree on how fast the ground is rolling by , even with the 25 tooth front pulley !   Smiley

« Last Edit: 05/18/17 at 22:11:50 by MMRanch »  

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #293 - 05/15/17 at 07:45:31

For those of you in the Dragon area, be careful on this 4 lane stretch of 28 south of Kickstand Lodge headed southbound towards 74.  
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3859895,-83.5787364,16.44z

I was clocking along about 65mph and all of a sudden the bike started getting VERY loose and I thought I had a low tire so I stopped and checked everything before I had an accident. Kinda scared me for a minute.  There were visible tar snakes but they rarely give me any issue, but apparently they are the mean tar snakes.  After I caught up with my two friends on big, heavy Harley's with fat tires they said they got thrashed around too and it got their attention real quick but they kept on going.

So...just be aware of that 4 lane section of road and don't hit it too fast and hard.  I think the left lane is a bit better so maybe avoid the right lanes if you can or at least slow down.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #294 - 05/15/17 at 09:40:19

Stew:

I had that issue with the little Ninja in GA last year.  The little Ninja would be leaned over in a curve, and get really unstable on them.  I believe they were filled with a rubberized joint/crack filler....and it stands above the surface and it flexes when you run over it.  It wasn't bad on the straight sections - but it was scary in the corners.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #295 - 05/18/17 at 07:44:47

Gang, note that June 18 is Father's day. Is this going to pose any issues for the June 13-18 Dragon trip to at Kickstand Lodge?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #296 - 05/18/17 at 09:34:01

stewmills wrote on 05/18/17 at 07:44:47:
Gang, note that June 18 is Father's day. Is this going to pose any issues for the June 13-18 Dragon trip to at Kickstand Lodge?

Not for me.....my father died years ago, and I don't have any children.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #297 - 05/18/17 at 22:54:24

UT-O

I might have to leave Saturday after breakfast ...  Roll Eyes

I checked out the Santeetlah lake area Wednesday  .  
I found the free camp sites , all are right on the lake.
I found the pay ($15.oo -or- $7.50 w/discount) camps w/running water real showers and real bathrooms.  
I found the $35.oo cabins , they use the same bath houses as the $7.50 camp sites.   Cabins have two rooms , one with a FULL size platform for sleeping bags and one w/bunk bed stacked  and then a nice porch (sleeps two).

santeetaha_bath_house.jpg

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #298 - 05/19/17 at 03:59:13

OK, with you having seen them, tell us which are worth having and which are not worth having.

Next, did you see any restrictions on using the showers, or are they "free for all campers" like the free camping site said?

And lastly, since you came and you saw already -- do you want to do the day early or jest let it go as unneeded at this point.  

I can get what info I need from you very easily, or if it is good enough to have Dave and the whole kickstand group to go take "a look see" while going past it.  We can all go together at one time and you can be the tour guide.

« Last Edit: 05/19/17 at 05:00:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #299 - 05/19/17 at 06:57:42

stewmills wrote on 05/18/17 at 07:44:47:

OK.  Sounds like no one has a big challenge on this other than maybe MM.  I'll have to check and see what my siblings have planned for pops. Likely I could need to leave out late Saturday night (after riding for the day has commenced) or early Sunday morning.  Don't count me out, just may have to lose out on riding any on Sunday.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 01:07:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2017

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.