Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Easy Maintenance - that you pay to have done (Read 166 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Easy Maintenance - that you pay to have done
08/25/17 at 08:16:19

I do all of my own maintenance - car, bike, plane, tractor - doesn't matter. If I don't know how to do something I will figure it out. But there is one simple task that I have completely given up on - using tire irons for ANY reason. Last week I got a simple flat on my Cafe Racer. I removed the rear tire and brought it to a local shop. I find myself at the counter explaining to the guy that I can do it...but don't because I only have about a 60% success rate of not pinching the tube or marring the rim. It's not "like" I'm embarrassed to pay for this service - I am embarrassed.

What's your guilty displeasure?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Easy Maintenance - that you pay to have done
Reply #1 - 08/25/17 at 09:20:01

That's the one service I have been known to pay for also.
I have changed tires and no problems with pinching or anything.  It's just such a hassle and you generally get rather dirty.

It's so much easier to have someone put it on the tire machine and pop it off and put the new one on.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 08/25/17 at 09:31:18

I don't pay for anything on my motorcycle, mower, blower, weedeater or the family fleet of bicycles.  I rotate all of our tires, swap out, winter wheels, do the brakes and most other repairs that wouldn't be covered under warranty.  I've even lowered a couple of cars with springs or coilovers.    I'll do all that, but I refuse to change the oil on our cars.  For $20, I'll happily let someone else do it. 

Though this may change soon.  The free service on my wife's Volvo is up.  I don't think I'm going to pay the dealer service fees and it takes full synthetic oil.   May end up doing that one myself.  Better yet, maybe I'll have her do it. Smiley

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/25/17 at 09:38:07

I agree on oil changes, its so cheap to get done I'd rather do something interesting than set aside time to do the work and then take the oil off to be disposed.

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/25/17 at 09:48:35

I do my own tires just because I don't have a cheap option.  The local shops won't reuse the tube, so that adds tube cost plus a bottle of Ride-on puncture sealant plus the shop fee.  I can save generally $60 doing it myself, as long as I don't pinch the tube  Grin.  (Note, I use the same tube for about 3 tires, which is generally about 1-1.5 years and 12-15k miles).  

But my buddy has a shop close to him that'll do a tire swap for $25.  At that price point I'd gladly pay someone to do it.  Wish I had that shop in my town.

Car/truck oil changes are a no brainer to me, I let the shop do it.  I'd only save $10 and have to deal with disposal and the Texas heat and mosquitos.  The only hassle letting them do it is a little wait...

Fork Seals is always the one that gets to me.  It's a pain in the butt, but I end up doing them because the labor cost at the shop is insane.  I'd pay $100 to avoid it, but the shop always wants double that or more...

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 08/25/17 at 12:30:04

Personal tire saga:  took bike in last week for new tires, tubes and rim tapes, went back 3 days later, get new tires, 1 new tube,"they sent me the wrong tube, my mech says your old tube is OK, put it back!"
A 10 year old tube in a new tire??? Throw a hissy, manager says he shoulda called, agrees to re-do it. Now when I pick it up tomorrow, can I believe it has a new tube? Screwed and never got kissed! Angry Angry

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 08/25/17 at 13:12:17

zipidachimp wrote on 08/25/17 at 12:30:04:
Now when I pick it up tomorrow, can I believe it has a new tube? Screwed and never got kissed! Angry Angry

I usually ask to inspect all old/removed parts.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 08/25/17 at 14:13:38

Mechanics around here usually present the used parts back to you when you pick up the vehicle. I used to wonder if they had a cache of used parts out the back just for that purpose  Smiley.

Having now worked in a small-engine shop for a little while, I'm not so sceptical anymore. It's hard enough storing the parts we actually do need!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/25/17 at 21:14:40

I've been known to mark things. I've marked the oil filter when I was gonna get it changed. A silver marker on the valve stem would do.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 08/26/17 at 20:54:40

Strike 3 for this shop: flat battery when I picked it up! Also, the belt was tight as a banjo string. Angry

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #10 - 08/28/17 at 17:11:08

I'm lucky. Smiley Little independent shop at the bottom of the hill. They will match internet prices if possable, use your parts if not.  $60 an hour labor rate and guananteed.  Also, a nice hang out to avoid the "honeydo" list.... Roll Eyes

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 08/28/17 at 21:52:17

At least I got fresh tires!  date code 2217. old code was 4207 Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/29/17 at 05:02:54

zipidachimp wrote on 08/28/17 at 21:52:17:
At least I got fresh tires!  date code 2217. old code was 4207 Cool

I can't help but believe that 10 year old tires didn't ride very well....or have good traction in the wet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 08/29/17 at 19:11:45

so what are the key words that makes me a spammer ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #14 - 08/30/17 at 03:21:59

Dave: the tires only had 5600kms on them and looked brand new. If I wasn't so cheap, I would have changed them last year when I bought the bike. As it happened I put 1000kms on before I wised up! Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 13:11:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Easy Maintenance - that you pay to have done

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.