Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2017 (Read 3501 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Savage Events for 2017
Reply #300 - 05/19/17 at 09:19:23

OK, with you having seen them, tell us which are worth having and which are not worth having.

Next, did you see any restrictions on using the showers, or are they "free for all campers" like the free camping site said?

And lastly, since you came and you saw already -- do you want to do the day early or jest let it go as unneeded at this point.  

I'm good with bringing tent and getting the tent site closest to the cabin .  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #301 - 05/19/17 at 09:46:28

OK, Santeetlah on June the 12.  

Now where do we meet up, and when -- adjusted for NC time, not Tennessee time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #302 - 05/20/17 at 20:48:43

Ok ,

I have a "discount" card for the first camp site , and will  bring a 10'x8'x72" tent -- (sleeps 6 sardines).   The camp sites are first come first pick , so if we get rained out there is no money lost  Cool.

Meeting at the Dragon Central is always easy ???  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #303 - 05/21/17 at 03:25:37

Now all you have to do is figure out when (NC time) we meet at Dragon Central on June 12th.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #304 - 05/21/17 at 05:47:33

Siri says 2:30 but I'd add an hour  Cool

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #305 - 05/21/17 at 21:48:12

So long as the weather holds out we're good to go .  Cool

It took me 4.5 hours to come home last time I was there , but it was fast ridding on the super slab (no fun at all )

I'd rather take the 6 hr. way ... so , if I got to  Dragon Central about 15:00 hrs.   Then we would be at our camp-site before 16:00hrs.  

I've got a lifetime discount for the National parks and Federal Recreation Lands , its called the "AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL"  Lifetime Pass.   Anyway the regular $ is $15.oo / discount is 50%.  There is a # that needs to be on the camp-site payment envelop ... if we stay for 5 days ... that # will save us $37.50  Wink  so wait till I get there to claim a spot . Smiley , there are two bath houses (equally nice) , if we had a cabin too there are two camp-sites near the cabins

Anybody going on this trip , your welcome to park your tow vehicle or just overnight in Lynchburg .   I'd like to have a member in the West Memphis area offer me the same deal on the way to Lancers tomorrow .

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #306 - 05/21/17 at 23:59:33

Mike, us old people we like to get confused with our trips sometimes, so bear with me a bit.

Kickstand is the main trip, Dave's trip -- June 13th - 18th -- at Kickstand Lodge with all the overeager younger people who are coming to rip up and tear up the mountains.

I was just going to be sneaking away for a "one day early to check out Santeetlah" but you have already done that to a tee already --  to the point you are maybe plotting out longer trips to Santeetlah already and are figuring out the discounts already based on your America the Beautiful thing.  

And $7.50 for a Dave sized tent slam full of people is the best price going for good toilets and showers that we have found I do believe.   Needs to be looked at by Dave though.

Naw, 100% free is the best price going -- I wanted to see what those places were like.

That's all to the good, and it is good that the place is good enough for you to be thinking of it in a longer term way.   You need to plan to show it to Dave and the boys sometimes during the Kickstand trip when we are all over that a way.

=================

Mike, I have gotten 10 years older all of a sudden and I am a real life old man now.   My right knee is for the shits now and I take pain meds and limp everywhere lately.  And my prostate has begun acting up to the point I take 3 drugs for it all the time and am on a list for eventual prostate surgery.   I pee a lot, sitting down or into a cup, makes no difference to me as I have gotten pretty good at the cup trick in the last year.

I am not bringing the Savage, I am riding the Barcalounger simply because my knee likes it better once I am up sitting on it.  I am not coming to tear up the mountains, I am simply too old for that now.  I may ride up and just rest quietly for a day at one of the back of the lake freebee spots, pick me out one with a picnic table near a shitter station on the quiet backside of the lake (if such a thing actually exists).   A soft air bed and a simple mosquito netted enclosure to sleep in are all I really desire more than anything else.

Wink

Tell you what -- I'll spot you a burger at the Hub or somewhere else down in Robbinsville when you arrive, or dinner as the case may be.   I am not interested in sitting around at the Dragon Lodge Cafe as that involves waiting around at the noisy Hurley infested Dragon for you to arrive -- cell phones do work down in Robbinsville so you can just call me when you get there.

Did you think to check for cell phone service out at Santeetlah Lake?   Six miles out from town in the mountains, maybe tower service and maybe not ....

« Last Edit: 05/22/17 at 07:29:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #307 - 05/22/17 at 05:13:55

KSL Comments:  June 14-18:

Oldfeller.....sorry to hear you are having health issues that make you uncomfortable.  I am bringing the big tent, and at I suppose I need to take head count to see who is going to be there.  (MM, Stewmills, OF, Badwolf, Dave, Ralieghguy).  The tent will sleep 4 folks reasonably well inside as long as the air mattress/cots don't take up too much room, and there is a screened room on one end that is good for sleeping if the weather is dry.  If we get full in the tent - I can go sleep in my trailer without issue....it is nice and comfy.

Last year I set the megatent up in a place that provided nice shade so the tent didn't get sun during the day, and it had a nice flat area and it was in a remote area that is quiet if they get too rowdy at the campfire last at night.  The only downside of the camping area - it is a long way from the bath house and toilets.  If we can't find a place to set up the tent nearer to the bathroom - you might want to consider staying in the bunkhouse at $22 a night.  It has beds that won't require you to sleep on the ground, and the bunkhouse is on one end of the bath house - so you will have a very short walk to the bathroom.

Overeager younger people.......This may be the only trip I get to the area this year, and I am hoping the weather will permit riding all day.  I want to ride 28 south down into GA, take Warwoman west and ride to the Two Wheel in for lunch.....then continue north to Tellico Plains, and then ride the Cherohala Skyway back to the east.....this is nearly a 300 mile trip.

I want to ride south of Sylva on 107 to 281 (Canada Road) to Lake Toxaway......it was  great curvy road that where we met that couple on the Harley from Canada - nice paving and very little traffic.  (Not sure where to go after that....last time we rode though Cashiers and we got to see a bear run across the highway, and from there we road into Highlands and that are has some really nice roads that sometimes are crowded with tourists).

And the KSL is located on 28, and it is a very nice curvy 15 minute ride up to the Dragon!  It is always nice to start or end the day with a trip on the Dragon!

So....if anyone wants to be added to the list - it sounds like we will have 2 riding groups for you to choose from.  Tents can be added as needed without reservation, and it appears the bunkhouse usually has extra space - cabins rent fast so if you want one you better call and get one reserved.

Somebody call and lock in the weather - so far it looks perfect!
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/334849?monyr=6/0...  

TripWeather.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #308 - 05/22/17 at 06:25:00

Dave, I am planning on getting there late in the evening Wed or Thurs. Plan on staying in the bunkhouse. Wont disturb you guys with late night potty trips. Will leave Sun afternoon. Would like to get over to Mt. Mitchell and Ceasers Head if possible, but am willing to poke along wherever the slower group goes.
Mid 80's and high 50's don't sound so bad.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #309 - 05/22/17 at 07:21:50

Here is the miracle of cell phones and GPS -- if I get tired I can just point towards home base.

I assume there is a picnic table involved, but won't know until we get there.   I am bringing my camp chair with me.

Who knows?  It may be me staying inside the trailer if I get too noisy again to be good sleeping company.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #310 - 05/22/17 at 07:29:09

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/22/17 at 07:21:50:
Who knows?  It may be me staying inside the trailer if I get too noisy again to be good sleeping company.

If anyone sleeps in the trailer.....it needs to be done discreetly.  The KSL website states that anything you tow behind your "Cage" and sleep in is an RV....and it is $38 a night!  My car/trailer was not parked in the tent area, it was in a gravel parking area pretty far away from the tent - but it still was within walking distance of the bathroom.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #311 - 05/22/17 at 07:35:40

Note correction on the dates, we had the 13th listed as the start date all along but now Dave has corrected that to Wednesday the 14th as the correct start date.

THESE EVENTS ARE IN PLANNING AND DISCUSSION RIGHT UP TO THE GO DAY -- THE CONCRETE HAS NOT SET COMPLETELY YET UNTIL IT IS OVER.     I am still plugging in names as people show interest, this gives us a tool for seeing who is really going plus the folks who are going can start the refinement process on dates and activities.

So far we got the following items left in the rough order of doing them.   Adding something is easy, talk it up some, put a firm date to it and we will see if folks are interested by if they sign up for it.

Lancer Oklahoma trip    extended to 19-28 May   Lancer,  Kenny G,  MM,  Springman,  Verslagen,  Justin,  Springman's BIL Steve,

Kickstand Lodge   June 14-18    Dave,  Oldfeller,  MM,  Stewmills,  RaleighGuy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZGNOB5m5Ro&t=166s
http://kickstandlodge.com/rates.html
From here it is a short hop up to the Dragon, and to all the really neat surrounding roads we love to ride.    For East Coast beginners, this is one of the closest (and the BEST) Southeastern trip possible.   Some have argued the area is the BEST BIKING IN AMERICA and I might have to agree with them.  

We also have a 1 day (2 man) prequel of sorts planned on June 12th with Oldfeller and MM going and checking out the Santeetlah Lake free camping, since until you have actually done it you really can't speak to it pro or con.

Indian Paintbrush Campground in Ty Denver  Late July  NEED FIRM DATES   Verslagen,  Springman,  old.indian, Thumperclone

MM's farm     Sept 8, 9 & 10    MM,  Oldfeller,  Dave,  Lancer,  StewMills

And here is a tool to use in locating some no cost camping when travelling to get to the rides:

https://freecampsites.net

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #312 - 05/22/17 at 07:51:46

The actual start date for Kickstand Lodge is somewhat negotiable.....I may be able to leave a day or two early if the weather shows a reason to do so.....sunny days early in the week and wet days at the end - and I might just shift my arrival and departure accordingly.  I wouldn't want to hang around and sleep in a wet tent if the last few days are going to be really wet!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #313 - 05/23/17 at 03:44:54

Dave, don't feel pressured into starting early as Badwolf is staying in the Bunkhouse and MM and I will have somewhat rougher Santeetlah lodgings for the day(s) prior.   The rest of the guys need to get a wake up call to come on in to a GET READY thread to do a Roll Call.   We will simply keep Wednesday as the start point until somebody dials in that wants earlier.

It is likely we will all fit into your tent just fine.  MM sleeps on a cot and carries a tarp that can make the "addition section" rain proof if needed.   If not, then I'll take it as my tarp and air mattress mean I'll never touch the ground either.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #314 - 05/23/17 at 05:05:18

Oldfeller:

It is not a "pressure" that would make me come early.....as I would just head directly to the KSL and spend the time exploring on my own until other folks arrived.  My point is that if the weather turns out to be better in the beginning of the week and rainy at the end.....I would choose to come and ride the days that are dry, and leave when the rain came (and take my tent with me).  I really don't enjoy riding in the rain.  This could have an affect on the lodging arrangements if anyone decided to stay and ride in the rain - but it sounds like you and MM will have a tent form the Santeetlah camping portion, Badwolf is staying in the bunkhouse....and I am sure Stewmills would stay in the bunkhouse if he decided to stay for the rainy days.  (Not sure what Ralieghguy is doing....he hasn't weighed in yet).

And....if the weather turns out to be crappy at the beginning of the week - I might not come until late in the week and stay on past the 18th (I do have to be back for an evening meeting on the 21st).

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 01:51:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2017

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.