Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
I've bought a box of bits (Read 516 times)
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: I've bought a box of bits
Reply #30 - 11/25/15 at 11:49:27

Thank you Dave that is a very kind offer. What I am going to do is to slip a locknut under the fin and use the chrome screw that was in the front hole of the trim piece. I am guessing that at some time in its life someone has just lost the correct piece. If this doesn't work and the cover leaks I will get back to you regarding the rod, but I really appreciate your kindness.

While I am taking advantage of your time there is another part that I am not too sure about. My guess is maybe a hold down bracket for the original battery but after the nausea with the oil strainer I would like to be certain that it is not something vital that involves me pulling the engine out.

As always many thanks

DavidP

bike22.png
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 11/25/15 at 11:55:20

That is the bracket to hold the front of the seat in place.

The fuel tank has rubber grommets in the rear mount, and that piece goes on top of the rubber grommets with the tab facing rearward.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 11/25/15 at 12:01:59

Thanks Dave you are the man.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 11/25/15 at 12:39:11

If they had a game show called "Identify That Savage Part".....I could be a worthy opponent!

I gotta' hand it to you for taking on a Basket Case project....when you have never seen where the parts came from.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #34 - 11/26/15 at 18:50:14

Dave wrote on 11/25/15 at 12:39:11:
If they had a game show called "Identify That Savage Part".....I could be a worthy opponent!

I gotta' hand it to you for taking on a Basket Case project....when you have never seen where the parts came from.

Agreed, taking on a box o bits when you ARE familiar with the bike (or car) is pretty brave, doing it with no foreknowledge is plain ballsy

IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 11/30/15 at 06:48:21

Well thank you for those kind words, it certainly is an interesting project. Dave, I took your advice and installed the mesh oil screen. Your were right it was no big deal. I would say (for the benefit of anyone who might be inspired by my small success) that what saved my day was having a 1/4 inch drive socket set. This was the only thing small enough to get to the bolt that is under the inlet valve cover. Anyway onwards and upwards I am now off to find some 10mm locknuts for the rear engine mounts, then off with the rear wheel and on with the drive belt.
Once again many thanks for all the help
DavidP

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #36 - 11/30/15 at 11:57:38

with bikes you're usually better off with 1/4 drive stuff than 3/8, it's harder to strip soft aluminum threads (though not actually hard)

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #37 - 11/30/15 at 13:15:20

I carry a small 1/4" drive set in my bags all the time. ��

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 12/01/15 at 19:19:24

Well folks I have made some good progress in the last few days. I was held up for the want of a 32mm socket to torque the drive pulley on but that is now done. Basically I am following the manual in reverse and all that now remains is to put the fuel tank back on. However before I do I have a couple of questions.
Once I got the battery/tool box bolted down (and that was quite a job I can tell you) I don't see anything that would clamp the battery down. Does it just sit in the box? I bought a new AGM battery which looks like a snug fit so maybe. Also the box of bits is now satisfyingly small but I have these three screws left. I don't think that the look like they belong to a Suzuki but what do I know?
As always thanks for your help
DavidP

bike26.png
  IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 12/02/15 at 10:56:00

Hello again,
Sadly another question although in my defense I have scoured the four corners of the internet, the manual and this site to no avail. I am trying to connect the fuel tank and the carburetor but am confused as to what goes where (remember I didn't take this apart). What I know is,
This is a California bike and therefore has a carbon cylinder in front of the rear wheel. I am pretty sure that the vent line from the fuel tank crosses the frame and connects to a line on the left side which looks like it heads off to the canister. On the right side there is a line coming up that maybe connects to the carburetor on the right side.  There is a large line from the petcock which looks like it should be the main fuel line and the petcock also has a smaller line which goes where? Here is an image of the right side and the left. In the foreground you can see a line that just seems to go up into the frame. I know that anywhere else in the world that could be a vent line but I find it hard to believe that California forces you to have closed system and then vents vapors to the air. On the left side you can see another line that seems to go no where again I can't believe it vents to air.
Thank you in advance
DavidP

bike28.png
  IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 12/02/15 at 10:59:00

OK it looks like you can only post one image per so here is the left side. The foreground I am sure is the main fuel line and in the background id a line to no where.  Thanks guys

bike27.png
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 12/02/15 at 11:12:42

The canister connects to the nipple on the backside of the carb on the right side....the nipple that looks like it vents to the top of the float bowl.

The small line form the petcock attaches to the nipple on the front right side of the carb....the nipple that looks like it goes to the intake nearest the engine cylinder.

The two nippleson the backside top of the float bowl that are a bit angled....one on each side that match.  They have hoses that just go up and tuck inside the frame tube above the cylinder...they are vents.

(Still scratching my head about those screws....I just don't recognize them as a Savage part).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 12/02/15 at 11:45:46

do those screws have the "JIS dimple" ?

Only place I can recall that use flat head screws are on the carb and the headlight.

Even the controls use pan head screws.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 12/02/15 at 14:41:47

Thank you for your help guys, if you don't recognize those screws then I am sure they don't belong on the Savage.
Well I got it all buttoned up today but to prove that every silver lining has a cloud my new battery is 1/4 inch too tall, despite Amazon promising that "This is a fit for your 1997 Suzuki Savage". Oh well a trip to the returns department tomorrow.
I did hook up an auto battery just to test the electrics and that leads to two simple questions. Everything works but should there be a light in the speedometer next to the neutral light that tells you that the side stand is down? If there is I guess the bulb is blown. Also the high beam tell tale does not work (the high beam itself does work) please tell me that the bulbs can be changed from the top because I had a dreadful time getting the tank on and I don't relish doing that again.
Anyway here she is. One lady owner gently driven and from 5 feet away she looks pretty much like new.
As always thanks for you help.
DavidP

bike29.png
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 12/02/15 at 15:47:13

The sidestand light was only made in the early bikes...not sure how many years.  All the speedometers still have the place to put the bulb, but the hole has a plug in it, and they are not printed with the words and the wiring harness doesn't have the circuit for the indicator light anymore.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 23:16:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I've bought a box of bits

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.