Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
I've bought a box of bits (Read 516 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I've bought a box of bits
Reply #45 - 12/02/15 at 18:25:18

DavidP wrote on 12/02/15 at 14:41:47:
Also the high beam tell tale does not work (the high beam itself does work) please tell me that the bulbs can be changed from the top because I had a dreadful time getting the tank on and I don't relish doing that again.

Sorry, all bulbs change from underneath.   Grin

get used to it, you need to take the tank off for everything.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 12/02/15 at 19:27:18

Thanks to both of you for your help. The tell tale is never going to be repaired. The two most difficult jobs on this entire rebuild were fitting the battery box and fitting the fuel tank, although I don't know why.

I was in high dudgeon when I found the battery would not fit but now I have calmed down I think I will hard wire an auto battery and see if I can get the engine to start. That is the job for Thursday.

All the best
DavidP

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #47 - 12/03/15 at 20:52:31

I've got an '87 and it does not have the sidestand light.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 12/04/15 at 07:06:00

A big shout out to everyone who helped with my project. I realized that the battery box was a little distorted and once straightened out the battery (only just) slid in. I poured in some fresh gas let it fill and then drained the bowl in case there was any dirt in the tank. Then to my astonishment the thing fired right up. I live on a private road so I was able to take it on a 2 mile shakedown and it looks and sounds great.
I suppose I should go visit the DMV and get a permit now. This is where the fun part of the project starts you see the last time I rode a bike was in 1971 and that was back in my home country of England where they drive on the other side of the road. Also the bikes I drove were typically old Triumphs with the gear shift on the right side.
Anyway once again many thanks I can honestly say that I could not have done it without you. Oh and by the way those three mysterious screws from an earlier post, they look very similar to the screws that hold the indicators to their stalks. I am guessing they have a tendency to unwind and after the heads were mashed they were replaced.
All the best
DavidP

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 12/04/15 at 07:22:08

Woo Hoo!  It runs!

I rode a Triumph about 30 years ago that was a right side shift.....that sure was a weird experience - hours and hours of left side shifter habits were just impossible to adapt on that one and only right shift ride.  I kept trying to use the right side shifter as the rear brake!

Those screws you showed appeared to have a tapered bottom side...the turn signals all have flat bottomed screws I believe.

screw.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 03:44:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I've bought a box of bits

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.