Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Harley Muffler and Exhaust Theory (Read 450 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Harley Muffler and Exhaust Theory
12/01/15 at 12:19:39

I have really been thinking about installing a Harley muffler. That stock muffler with its iiiiittttyyy-bittty outlet can't be good on that engine, or can it? Being a musical guy, I would appreciate a good sound, but I would prefer not to have an ear-fatiguing muffler. I sometimes wear earplugs, but I don't want to feel like I have to wear them just because of the muffler. Wind noise is enough to worry about. How loud is the Harley muffler? I have listened to some of the recordings on YT. There is definitely a difference, but recordings don't say everything. What pipe diameter do I need to get? I have noticed that there is some variance in the length of these mufflers. Are the shorter ones louder? Is there any difference amongst the different mufflers.
Is the sound pleasant or a little much? How long can one listen to it without hearing fatigue? What are your experiences?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Harley muffler
Reply #1 - 12/01/15 at 12:36:53

Would the muffler mod be one of the easiest ways of getting more power and longer life out of the engine? Would this be more or less effective than carburetor jetting alone? Of course, carb jetting and exhaust are interdependent. I'm just asking which is more effective than the other.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Harley muffler
Reply #2 - 12/01/15 at 12:44:33

Also, is the big single more or less vulnerable to a restrictive exhaust compared to multi-cylinder engines? It would seem more vulnerable due to the sudden breathing requirement due to a single, large exhaust pulse, particularly at a relatively high engine speed for a 3.5 inch stroke. At highway speeds, the engine is turning about 4K RPM @ 60 mph, compared to an automotive engine of similar stroke length, this is insanely high. My Subaru has a stroke, I believe, of less than 3 inches, and cruises at only 2.5K @ 60 mph.

On the other hand, that one pulse has alot of time in that exhaust pipe to rest between pulses compared to a 4 cyl.

My thoughts are not quite mature on this subject, so some of this may be a little fuzzy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Harley Muffler and Exhaust Theory
Reply #3 - 12/01/15 at 12:51:13

How many Monster Energy drinks have you had today....so far? Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 12/01/15 at 13:00:15

Grin No Monster for me, just some coffee. Maybe I'm just ADHD or something. I've been resting my crash-injured leg playing with this forum all day. I've been worried that I'm trying to take a cold or sore throat as well.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/01/15 at 13:16:37

You won't see a lot of difference in power with a Harley muff, or any muff, even with jetting and intake mods... but, there is a little...
Harley muff's with baffle intact, are not loud, but pleasantly deeper, and less like a sewing machine.
Plus, they will save you 6 to 8 pounds and look better...

Well worth the trouble, but don't expect miracles... Cool...
The power gained is more psychological then anything... (better sound, feels more powerful)...

This, is a link...->Harley Muffler Guide

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 12/01/15 at 13:27:26

I would say that the greatest difference will be noticeable at interstate speeds/mid-high rpm under high throttle, where a restrictive system may run short on breath.

Will the savage run substantially cooler with the Harley muffler?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 12/01/15 at 17:03:29

I think you may be reading too much into this. The Harley muffler just gives a slightly louder deeper tone. It's lighter weight as well. They don't give much hp, if any.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 12/01/15 at 17:20:00

Yeah this bike is what it is, and nothing more.
You want to make it something it really isn't, then you might just look at another bike to satisfy your biking mindset.

The Harley clamp-on Dyna's  that I am sure Bot provided in that link work real well. It does not come off as a poser, just takes the tinny away.
Also, don't put too much stock in the tailpipe diameter, as the baffles are what restrict the flow more than the opening anyway..

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #9 - 12/01/15 at 23:40:22

I bought my Savage from an older gent who also had an Enfield. At some point he had put an Enfield muffler on the LS, and I'm glad he did. Nice note (most people think it's a Harley) but not too loud.

I'll put on a pic.

IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #10 - 12/02/15 at 02:13:16

Enfield muffler

WP_20151007_16_56_09_Pro.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/02/15 at 08:38:25

I wish I knew how to change the darkness of the print Ohhh, lookie right up THERE! Gosh I'm so dumb,,

I would like to see someoneDaveswap mufflers and run either time trial tests or Dyno.
Whether the Dyna improves the Dyno HP or not, it loses pounds, looks So Much better, and sounds So much better, and the Stock mufflers sound like a VW, and whistle.
No, allowing it to exhale won't
Unleash the Beast
but it's a step forward in every way.

Intake theory, everyone is focused on exhaust, and, it's important, but when it is inhaling, no piston is positively displacing the gases. The design of the intake , IMO, matters.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 12/02/15 at 08:50:46

Interesting on the Enfield muffler. I love Enfields, but there aren't very many around here, at least as far as dealers are concerned. I met a girl (a newb like me, even more so) riding a military green Enfield. She needed help starting it, but I didn't get that opportunity. I wish she would have let me kick start it Cheesy. Those things are cool, hers had saddlebags almost like ammo cans, she had a front drum brake, which is Oh so cool on a 2008 Shocked. The funny thing is that it sounded substantially quieter than mine Huh Maybe its just where I was on mine and she on hers. Huh

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 12/02/15 at 08:57:57

On Exhaust theory, the engine can't intake if it can't exhaust properly.

On the intake, would you suggest that the air filter was undersized for the big single 650 application? Some say that paper filters best and the difference in breathing is not much worse than foam and cotton. I read about someone who experimented with it. If I can find the site again, I'll post the link.

I would say that paper would probably be best, provided a large enough air box. If the air box is substantially undersized (too small an air filter), then the cotton/foam filters might make a greater difference.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 12/02/15 at 09:00:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/02/15 at 08:38:25:
Intake theory, everyone is focused on exhaust, and, it's important, but when it is inhaling, no piston is positively displacing the gases. The design of the intake , IMO, matters.

Are you saying that the big single never gets a full charge of fresh air under normal conditions, or any conditions?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 14:18:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley Muffler and Exhaust Theory

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.