Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
I've bought a box of bits (Read 516 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I've bought a box of bits
Reply #15 - 11/14/15 at 21:55:14

Are you saying you don't have but one clip on your wrist pin?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/15/15 at 09:19:51

No, because I bought a box of bits I guess the other clip is lost to the wind. If there were two clips I probably would have worked out that they are the wrist pin clips. My concern was that this one clip might have been the one that goes on the flux capacitor that is connected to the limited slip sproglifier on the second cam shaft and I would have had to the take the engine out of the frame to fit it.
On a more serious note I found out purely by chance that when you order a new piston you do not get a pin or clips with it and indeed they come extra. Not everything has changed for the better in the 45 years since I last worked on a motorcycle engine.

DavidP

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 11/15/15 at 18:04:00

Yeah, I was shocked when the pin didn't come with the piston.
What bothered me more was the Raptor first oversize piston just  didn't agree with the rings. The end gap was over spec, and I went back Three times,while they ordered, I waited. After three times, the owner noticed I was being there a lot, asked, I explained.
He told the parts guy
Take the piston,
Find a piston and rings that spec out, and give it to him, for no added charge.
Every customer who THEY sold those pistols and rings to, have excessive ring gaps.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 11/16/15 at 04:10:10

Yep, I supposed in an effort to keep costs down they don't include the pin or clips with the piston (or the rings), and in the parts list it does say "Piston".....not "Piston Assembly".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #19 - 11/16/15 at 05:30:24

It is aMazing what establishment thinks they need to sell us these days.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 11/16/15 at 06:15:34

Dave wrote on 11/16/15 at 04:10:10:
Yep, I supposed in an effort to keep costs down they don't include the pin or clips with the piston (or the rings), and in the parts list it does say "Piston".....not "Piston Assembly".

G

Yeah, I get it, and, some pins Will re run, so, I'd package them that way. It's a lot more, reasonable to sell a piston without the pin than a thermostat without a gasket.

IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/16/15 at 08:07:01

Well guys thanks for your input thus far. I am still waiting on my honing tool and the piston which should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I am laying out the nuts and bolts in order to reassemble the cylinder and the head. I am pretty sure that I have it sorted with the exception of the 4 nuts that hold the head down. The previous owner did a pretty good job of bagging up the parts but I cannot find a set of matching 9mm nuts and washers. Unfortunately my manual does not show a clear picture of the nuts and as I didn't take it apart I am not sure what they look like. Also the manual says to use a copper washer on the stud nearest the exhaust port but there is no reference to washers on the other studs. So here is the question, are the nuts on the studs domed like in this image and is there an odd one as shown here.

Many thanks
DavidP

bike15.png
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 11/16/15 at 08:18:19

yup, and you'll need copper washers for all.
there's also 2 smaller nuts (like the odd one) for underneath.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/23/15 at 14:20:26

Hello Everyone,
First off, thank you for all your advice it has been very helpful. I have now rebuilt the engine and it is back in the frame. For the most part the person who dismantled it did a great job in laying out the screw and nuts and bolts etc. and in many cases put them back in the correct locations. That said there are a couple of things that confuse me. The first is I have what I would describe as long strip of coarse steel wool that has been folded over and over until it can't be folded again. Does it go in that void on the left side of the head near the decompressor? Also the left side chrome trim on the top of the head there is a long screw at the front. This just seems to fall into the fins of the head. Is it fixed by a nut and a lock washer or has something broken from the fin? It is probably not a big deal as I can just purchase the correct nut if necessary. Finally the rubber hose that starts from the top of the cylinder head. I assume that feeds oily fumes to the air box, but I cannot find the appropriate fitting for it. Are those gases reburnt or just vented to atmosphere.
Many thanks
DavidP

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 11/23/15 at 14:33:21

The scrubby thing goes into the cylinder head cover at the place where the breather tube exits the top of the head cover.  It helps to keep the oil down in the engine while letting the air out.  You can see it in the lower right side of this photo.

The funky bolt/screw you are talking about goes upside down into the cylinder head...the bolt slides into that slot and when you put the head cover on it holds it into place.  The bolt sticking up then goes through that chrome head cover cap (pretty decorative piece), and it gets a 6mm acorn nut on top.

The vent hose is stuck onto the fitting in the top of the engine, passes down the right side of the engine, crosses over to the left side just in front of the carb body and passes behind the throttle cable....then it goes to a fitting on the air box just under the tube that feeds the air to the carb.  The vented fumes go to a small chamber where the oil can settle out, and the air is pulled into the carb inlet and burned.

Go to Oldfeller's post the head cap repair....he has a lot of photos that will help you see where things belong.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 11/23/15 at 15:37:11

Without a tool to measure the ID you won't know if the cylinder is tapered or out of round. If it's a fairly low mileage engine, then yeah, hone with oil, get the crosshatch, put rings on and measure the end gap. There's a too tight and a too loose. Stagger ring gaps according to the manual.

IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 11/24/15 at 07:28:30

Thanks Dave you certainly know the Savage. Sadly it is too late for the oil screen mesh as the cover is on and the engine installed. If I end up with excess oil in the air box I will just have to find a work around. I guess what threw me with the dress up plate was that the person who stripped it down put the screw back in the covers and clearly the front one was not correct. I think that I will just get a nut and lock washer to fit and snug it all down. Thank you for the directions for the oil line, I did not think that it might cross over to the other side of the frame duh.

Also thanks to everyone else who commented and to this site. Things I didn't ask but learned.

1. How to cure the infamous Suzuki weep.
2. Only to use Rotella T oil
3. Don't let it idle on the side stand.
4. Fill the engine through the tappet inspection plates after a rebuild.

All great stuff

Thanks
DavidP

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 11/24/15 at 08:03:11

You really need to bite the bullet and just pull the head cover back off, and put the screen where it belongs.  It has to be there or you will have t too much air and oil coming out your breather tube.  It acts as a bit of a damper to even out the "huffing" in/out of the vent tube, and it filters out the large oil droplets.

You can pull the head cover and put it back on with the engine in the frame.....it is no big deal.

IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 11/24/15 at 14:59:11

OK Dave you talked me into doing it. Actually deep down I know it's the right thing to do it just seems counter intuitive to be taking it apart when things were going so well. It will also give me the opportunity to work out the deal with that front screw on the left side trim piece.
Sadly she who must be obeyed has declared that tomorrow is booked to clean the house in preparation for the ravenous hoards descending on us. Thursday will be the usual orgy of gluttony and drunkenness followed by unspeakable remorse. Friday will be spent recovering from the overdose of anesthetic taken to numb the pain of spending time with the family. So it looks like Saturday is my next play date. I will keep you posted.

DavidP

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 11/24/15 at 15:36:00

I kind hate the screw up front to hold the chrome cap.....if you put it in you are committed to always using the chrome trim - or stacking washers so you can put a nut on top (it does hold the left front corner of the head cover tight and should be used).  It also makes one more thing to juggle when you put the cover on and try not to smear the sealer.

I cut a piece of threaded rod to the correct length, then I just sneak a nut between the lower fins with threadlocker on it.  If I ever decide I don't want the chrome cover - I can just remove the long rod and shorten it a bit.

Let me know if you want one...and I can mail it to you.

Dave

« Last Edit: 11/24/15 at 18:09:12 by Dave »  

Stud_002.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 10:16:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I've bought a box of bits

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.