Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Oh look....another Ryca build thread (Read 2093 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oh look....another Ryca build thread
Reply #60 - 07/28/16 at 09:01:11

I've seen some pretty fine hotrods gray with pink stripes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #61 - 07/28/16 at 09:32:06

One of the top contenders is orange right now. I'd probably try my hand at vinyl so that it's easily changed. I could even try to coordinate the grips too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #62 - 07/28/16 at 09:39:58

A piece of metal, throw some gray on it, lay a bit of orange on, look at it in the sun.

You might want to go to a painters supply house and look at a color wheel.  Take your test panel or walk out and look at the bike, get the wheel down to the tank, get the closest match you can, then look across the wheel. THAT'S if I remember correctly how to use it.. I'm not talking about auto paint supply, though they might have one. The painters who use oil on canvas,those places have them.

Search

color wheel

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #63 - 08/01/16 at 14:22:42

I'm hoping the vibration doesn't hurt it too bad but I was able to get the ignition unit squeezed into the battery box along side the mini battery. I was at least able to keep the stock rubber holster around the unit to isolate it a little. That should help protect both the ignition unit and the battery. With the battery being lithium that's even more important.

Searching through a bunch of pictures I found a couple cases where the starter relay is bolted to the bottom of the battery box.  You can see the placement pretty easy in this picture.  

I liked the idea but it would have required the replacement of a couple wires to add some more length. I ended up having the space for that in the battery box as well so that got crammed in there too. Both of those things are making me happy that I went with the tiny battery.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #64 - 08/04/16 at 09:04:19

Item number 5,432 that took longer than expected:

I got paint in the threads for mounting the petcock and didn't notice it until after the tank was on the bike and wired up. I had to take it back off again and run a tap through the threads to get everything cleaned up. It was only an additional 10-15 minutes but more time.

I've moved on to mounting the seat padding and pan. The first attempt at using the little rubber grommets was not successful but I remember that being an issue with other people too. I'll try one more time tonight but if it doesn't work I may move to attaching some sort of stud to the padding section instead. The rubber grommets seem like they are a good idea but it seems very difficult to get them started and have them start securing themselves.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #65 - 08/04/16 at 19:42:39

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

I started the bike up for the first time since September. First crank even without using the decomp it fired right up. Holy cow is it loud. If it gets louder (like I've read that it does) I think I'll be switching mufflers or at least modifying this one.

I had almost everything wired correctly. The brake light wasn't working but once I removed the module in the attached picture it worked just fine. The only other issue is that I accidentally used a running light wire instead of flasher wire for the front right turn signal so it's always on. I'll have to take the headlight off to get at it but that's not the end of the world. I'm just happy that it started!

I got the upholstery pan mounted this evening too. The rubber grommets weren't staying in place well because the seat padding kept pushing them out so I just put a little superglue on them to hold them in place. I also used slightly longer screws to make it easier to catch some thread. I know there's a potential for them to start poking me but if they do I'll try to go back to shorter ones then.

I still need to glue on the tail light bracket and mount the seat.  I'm not exactly sure how you get access to the bolts at the front of the seat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

image_039.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 08/05/16 at 04:26:56

Yep, those EMGO shorty cone mufflers are really much too loud.

If you want to be a test mule for some baffle options....I have a few ideas (and a few spare baffles I have picked up).  I can modify the baffles, and you could just pull your existing baffle out and replace it with the modified ones and see how they work and sound.

Your bike will need to be up and running and out on the street before you will be able to do testing.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #67 - 08/05/16 at 05:58:19

I should hopefully be up and running this weekend. With the couple things that I have left I would really hope that I don't run into major issues.

More detailed pictures should follow after that. So far I'm glad that I didn't use the side panels. I'm going to want to straighten up the wires in the battery box a little more but I don't think it will take much for it to not be noticeable.

One other note...the tach seems to work just fine and doesn't change or flutter when the horn is used.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #68 - 08/08/16 at 06:50:18

I finally got the bike out this weekend. Man did I miss riding.

Overall first impressions:
The bike is surprisingly smooth at 50-60mph.
70mph isn't surprisingly smooth.  Grin It's crazy how much of a difference a couple mph / rpm makes.
The seating position is pretty comfortable for me.
The seat could use just a little support.
The front wheel seems really far forward. It's probably because I'm just used to having a fairing there blocking the view of the actual tire.
I'm going to need to check over all of the nuts and bolts again to get some peace of mind.

I still don't have the nuts on the seat / tank bolts. I noticed with the bikes that use the side covers that the seat pan actually gets notched...which would give access to the bolts. I'm not using those though so I'm struggling with getting those nuts started. I can squeeze a wrench through there to tighten them down after that...but I can't seem to get them started. I'd rather not have to notch the seat or move it back too much just to get access to those. If anyone has any tricks that they know of I'm all ears.

I decided to put the chrome engine shrouds back on the bike because I think it gives it a cleaner look. To get the left side one on I needed to disconnect the decomp lever (foot actuated). I forgot to tighten that all back down and it managed to rattle loose at the foot pedal within about 5 miles. I'm guessing that the e-clip actually worked its way off because I'm not sure how it could have rotated enough for the threads to come undone. Unfortunately the u-joint fell off so I have no decomp right now. Just how much extra wear does this put on the starter? So far it's starting fine and doesn't seem to struggle at all.

Dave - I'll take you up on trying out some different baffles if you want me to. I don't weld myself but I have a couple friends that do. If you just have some ideas that would be easier for me to get fabbed here myself I'd try that out too.

Things I still want / need to do:
Attach the seat and tank. It just seems like the safer thing to do.  Grin
Add a little color. I'll probably start with some orange grips since that seems fairly cheap and easy.
Try out some different exhaust options.
Reattach the decomp lever.
Add some weight to the bars to see if it helps with vibrations.
Upgrade the front brake.
Maybe get a fork brace.
Hide wires

Notch for the decomp lever.

Wires that need to be cleaned up.

My helpers. (proud of the "apples" that they picked up while I was doing the last couple things to the bike)

« Last Edit: 08/08/16 at 09:03:05 by BSTON »  
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #69 - 08/08/16 at 06:54:28

Your bike looks great!  Nice and clean; love the color.
You're "helpers" are adorable, too.  Twins?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 08/08/16 at 07:14:45

Looks great!

You might want to add a front fender to your list of things to do.  I rode my first summer without one, as I just ran out of time and wanted to ride.  A few rain storrms, a bit of gravel in the face, and I was ready for a front fender.  At night the headlight lights up all the stuff the front wheel is throwing.....and you realize how functional a front fender is.

For the seat/tank bolts.....I installed 6mm bolts into the threaded inserts from underneath, and the bolts are long enough that the threads extend up and allow you to use a nut to hold the seat/tank down.  I use a small pencil type magnet and a fingertip to install the washers - then I use the magnet to hold the nut on the stud....then use a small flat bladed screwdriver to turn the nut into place - once it has started a couple of threads I can spin it down with my fingertip, then I use an open end wrench to tighten it down......it is a bit fiddly but easier than trying to use the bolts from the top.

I will work on the EMGO Muffler baffles.......

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #71 - 08/08/16 at 10:43:43

BSTON wrote on 08/08/16 at 06:50:18:
I'm going to need to check over all of the nuts and bolts again to get some peace of mind.

I wasn't very vigilant with the Loctite because I assumed that I'd be tearing down the bike for maintenance or painting soon; and as a result I lost quite a few parts during the first 100 miles of riding.

At this point I run under this assumption; if it isn't glued down, it's gonna fall off.

Your bike looks great. Is that BRG paint?

Your battery box area looks so clean that you might consider not using the side covers.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #72 - 08/08/16 at 11:02:47

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/08/16 at 10:43:43:
Your bike looks great. Is that BRG paint?

Your battery box area looks so clean that you might consider not using the side covers.

I have absolutely no plans to install the side covers. I didn't even have them send them with the kit. I tried trading them for money off of some of the additional parts like the turn signals, brake line, plate bracket, etc. I honestly don't know if it ever happened because there was a coupon code available at the time that I purchased it. The website had problems figuring out the price with the discount on the kit but not the added parts.

No green. It's actually Subaru Dark Grey Metallic. I had the color on an '08 WRX and I liked it a lot. It seemed easy. Here's a pic of the color on a car.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #73 - 08/08/16 at 11:05:38

Tocsik wrote on 08/08/16 at 06:54:28:
Your bike looks great!  Nice and clean; love the color.
You're "helpers" are adorable, too.  Twins?

Yep. 3-1/2 year old twins. Part of the reason the build took so long. I could basically just work on it after they went to bed.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #74 - 08/08/16 at 13:22:12

I'm getting a kind of odd vibrating / rattling sound from the top of the motor area when it's coasting down or at partial throttle at about 2k rpm. Is that a normal sound?

Also, now my friend is asking when I'm going to hide the battery since I'm not using the panels. As I'm looking at the bike I don't really understand why they didn't push the battery box up higher underneath the seat and just not do side panels at all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 05:45:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh look....another Ryca build thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.