Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Oh look....another Ryca build thread (Read 2093 times)
sendjulian
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Oh look....another Ryca build thread
Reply #30 - 11/03/15 at 17:05:08

bump for ryca hype

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #31 - 11/16/15 at 09:44:56

I finally got off of my butt last night to do some of the frame cuts. For some reason I had in my mind that I wanted to test fit a bunch of the stuff on the bike before cutting anything. Mostly this was because I felt like the instructions were garbage and I was afraid I would cut something that was still needed or leave a bunch of stuff that wasn't needed.

Well, all of the cutting I had done in the past was handled by a Dremel because honestly I don't really do much. I decided this would be a good excuse to go buy a cheap grinder / cutter. I picked up a Porter Cable grinder from Lowe's. It was a mistake. I went to put the cutting wheel on it and it doesn't work with the guard that the tool came with. I go online to check and sure enough I bought about the only tool on the market that requires a different guard and of course it doesn't come with it. Total cost of the tool was $30. For just the guard that's required for any wheel with no offset it's $13 plus $11 for standard shipping.  Angry

I feel like I can't buy the guard just on principle...and of course I actually threw away the box after I opened it so I can't return it. Throwing away a box like that is something that I very, very rarely do. I know the smart choice is to get the guard or a different grinder with a guard but darn that's frustrating.

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #32 - 11/16/15 at 09:55:42

they make some great metal cutting sawzall blades now rent from lowes,, h deep

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 11/16/15 at 13:04:13

I don't know what the frame is made of - but it requires a new Sawzall blade for just about every cut....that stuff sure does dull the teeth in a hurry.

The best way to cut it is with the abrasive blades.....shame your new grinder doesn't work with them.  Is this the model grinder you bought? If so, it doesn't look any different than the guard that is on mine....it should work just fine with a cut off blade - they are just a thinner grinding wheel.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_546090-79992-PC60TAG_1z13y07__?productId=50125889&pl=...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 11/16/15 at 13:17:52

Guards? we don't need no stinking guards!

but do get a full face shield... no matter how I hold it, sparks are always sent my way.

WWW   IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #35 - 11/16/15 at 14:23:40

Dave wrote on 11/16/15 at 13:04:13:
 Is this the model grinder you bought? If so, it doesn't look any different than the guard that is on mine....it should work just fine with a cut off blade - they are just a thinner grinding wheel.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_546090-79992-PC60TAG_1z13y07__?productId=50125889&pl=...

Yes, that is the grinder that I bought. The issue is that the top of the guard angles down and rubs on any wheel that doesn't have at least a little offset to it. You can tell in this picture from the PC website.

I think I'm going to just sell this one and buy a better grinder. I wasn't that impressed with the layout and feel of the tool and switch anyway. $25 shipped to anyone in the US if they want it.

grinder.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #36 - 11/17/15 at 05:45:29

Cheap tools do one thing well; they'll piss you off.

For what it's worth, you just can't beat air tools. Grinding, cutting, shaping, drilling - all easy and accurate with air tools. I made the investment 25 years ago and I have never regretted it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #37 - 11/18/15 at 05:33:52

BSTON wrote on 11/16/15 at 14:23:40:
Dave wrote on 11/16/15 at 13:04:13:
 Is this the model grinder you bought? If so, it doesn't look any different than the guard that is on mine....it should work just fine with a cut off blade - they are just a thinner grinding wheel.

Yes, that is the grinder that I bought. The issue is that the top of the guard angles down and rubs on any wheel that doesn't have at least a little offset to it. You can tell in this picture from the PC website.

I think I'm going to just sell this one and buy a better grinder. I wasn't that impressed with the layout and feel of the tool and switch anyway. $25 shipped to anyone in the US if they want it.

I'll take your offer.
PM me with your Paypal info.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #38 - 11/20/15 at 13:16:44

And just like that the grinder is gone. Hopefully I'll be able to get to Lowe's or Home Depot tonight and pick up a different one. I want to work on the bike tomorrow afternoon hopefully but we're supposed to be getting some snow overnight. Maybe if I wait it would be a good excuse to go out in the morning and do a little hooning in the car. I've always been a fan of sliding the car around.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #39 - 11/20/15 at 17:11:14

BSTON wrote on 11/20/15 at 13:16:44:
And just like that the grinder is gone. Hopefully I'll be able to get to Lowe's or Home Depot tonight and pick up a different one. I want to work on the bike tomorrow afternoon hopefully but we're supposed to be getting some snow overnight. Maybe if I wait it would be a good excuse to go out in the morning and do a little hooning in the car. I've always been a fan of sliding the car around.

That's the purpose of snow !!

« Last Edit: 11/22/15 at 02:03:34 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #40 - 11/22/15 at 08:49:18

LANCER wrote on 11/20/15 at 17:11:14:
BSTON wrote on 11/20/15 at 13:16:44:

That's the purpose of snow !!

if it's front drive, acquire fast food trays
place under rear tires, lock park brake
Instant snow!  Grin

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #41 - 11/22/15 at 10:33:43

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #42 - 11/24/15 at 06:36:35

Art Webb wrote on 11/22/15 at 08:49:18:
if it's front drive, acquire fast food trays
place under rear tires, lock park brake
Instant snow!  Grin

You won't be finding a FWD car in my garage any time soon. AWD is the closest that you'd find. The current car is a 2007 Infiniti G35X. I had a Subaru WRX before that and it was a beast in the snow.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #43 - 11/24/15 at 06:39:51

This is a pretty common sight in my garage over the winter.

WRX.JPG
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #44 - 11/24/15 at 20:30:13

oh my, someone had a blast indeed  Shocked Wink Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8