Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Oh look....another Ryca build thread (Read 2093 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Oh look....another Ryca build thread
Reply #45 - 11/26/15 at 05:23:45

BSTON wrote on 11/20/15 at 13:16:44:
And just like that the grinder is gone. Hopefully I'll be able to get to Lowe's or Home Depot tonight and pick up a different one. I want to work on the bike tomorrow afternoon hopefully but we're supposed to be getting some snow overnight. Maybe if I wait it would be a good excuse to go out in the morning and do a little hooning in the car. I've always been a fan of sliding the car around.

It arrived safe and sound...thanks

« Last Edit: 12/01/15 at 03:40:10 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #46 - 11/30/15 at 06:53:38

I ended up going with this grinder. It's still a pretty cheap option but it will make it through this project just fine and then probably sit in a cabinet for the next couple years without much use. I like the trigger switch a lot better than the sliders on most of the other grinders. I also actually used the option for rotating the handle around on it and it was easy to use. All of the motor mounts are cut off and all that's left are the seat tubes. From there I guess I'll move to electrical and then assembly.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-6-5-Amp-Angle-Grinder-Green-AG4531G/205558214

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #47 - 12/01/15 at 02:57:36

Ryobi are good. You're right, the slider switches are a pain and after a while go dodgy.
I recon the frame cutting is a bit of a pita, so if you've got that under control you're well on your way. Looking forward to what you do with your Savage  Wink

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #48 - 07/19/16 at 06:48:49

I'm finally making a little more progress with the assembly. My wife decided that we needed to remodel the kitchen so that took up pretty much all of my free time (plus some) for a little over two months.

I think I said this at the beginning and I'll say it again...the Ryca parts seem to be very high quality but man do the instructions suck. I spent about an hour and an half just hooking up and adjusting the rear brake controls. In the end I ended up doing this differently than what was shown in the instructions and videos.

I didn't take any updated picture of where I'm at with the bike but it's finally starting to actually look like a motorcycle again. The front and read end are all on and assembled, the rear sets are on and mostly adjusted, and I'm in the process of putting all of the electrical stuff back together. That's still my biggest fear in all of this...getting it all hooked back up correctly.

I did one thing that I'm hoping will make it easier to hide all of the wires. I'm not using the side panels on the bike because I don't like the way they look so I bought a smaller battery in the hopes that I'll be able to hide things in the battery box easier. I've seen a number of these used in automotive racing applications (plus I have a friend that works at a parts dealer) so I picked up an Antigravity Lithium Ion 8 cell battery. It puts out 240 CCA but it's only 4.25" x 2.25" x 3.75" and weighs 1.5 pounds.

IMG_3018.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #49 - 07/19/16 at 08:31:06

How much for the baby battery ?

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #50 - 07/19/16 at 10:39:19

List price is $180.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #51 - 07/26/16 at 12:10:49

I have two questions:

1. If I follow the Ryca instructions for wiring the lighting for the tach and speedo, I splice in with the horn power. Can I still hook up the horn and have it work without any ill effect?

2. Other than rocks and water in the face, is it too bad to run the bike without a front fender? I'm assuming it provides some support like a fork brace but is it much?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #52 - 07/26/16 at 18:20:04

I didn't use the horn circuit, I think I used the instrument light circuit.

The front fender adds zero bracing support of the forks, so build it the way you like (but you will get a face full of road crap).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 07/26/16 at 19:16:25

I had my Trail Tech Vapor wired up to the horn circuit....it did wild/crazy things to the tach if you blew the horn, and the shift and rpm warning lights would also light up.  I would tap into the running light circuit, or the large orange wire that takes power up to the left electrical control (wire harness connector on left side of frame under the tank).

I rode for one summer without a fender.  It throws stones and pebbles in your face when it is dry....water in your face when it is wet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #54 - 07/26/16 at 19:34:07

I've had sand and various s i zes of grit hit under the chin with the fender on. Can't imagine how much No fender would sukk.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #55 - 07/27/16 at 09:17:45

I had the fender painted when I did the tank and seat so it's there and available if I decide I'm tired of having my chin cut up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #56 - 07/27/16 at 13:06:13

Grinders designed for a cut off disk have a flat shield and Cost More.

Buy what you want, remove and Massage the shield. But a brass bushing to fill the gap between the grinder drive shaft and the disk. Cut it, put a slice in place.

Before you buy anything, look at the ID of a grinder disk and cut off.

If it's too much hassle to deal with, buy the Right tool. I never have. The shim , spacer, bushing, whatever, I've been using the same one on three grinders. They die after enough years.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 07/27/16 at 13:14:41

I believe the grinder issue was resolved 8 months ago! Roll Eyes

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #58 - 07/28/16 at 05:52:55

The grinder issue was definitely solved.

People keep talking about how much of a pain it was cutting the seat rails. The grinder made it very easy and I can't imagine how much of a pain it would be to try to fine tune those cuts without one.

The other thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned much is how much metal you have to cut through on the exhaust. I didn't realize just how thick that section of the tubing is. Yes, it's softer metal than the seat tubes but that would require a lot of sawing or dremel blades to get through it all.

Despite the suggestions I still went with the power from the horn for the speedo and tach lights. It's just so easy because it's right there. I'll probably be amused by the tach going crazy every time I honk the horn anyway.  Grin

I got a little more work done on the bike last night...mainly getting the tach / speedo wired up but also finishing up the exhaust hanger. I would have had that done earlier in the week but I seemed to be missing a nut to attach it to the foot peg bolt because there's no way the bracket would line up correctly to only use the one bolt to hold the hanger AND the foot peg in place. Just one more thing that seemed like it should be very easy but required some extra work.

« Last Edit: 07/28/16 at 08:46:47 by BSTON »  
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #59 - 07/28/16 at 08:56:07

I forgot I snapped this picture last night. I ended up going with a dark metallic grey. As I see it on the bike I'm thinking that I might try to add some color somewhere.

I decided to keep the chrome engine covers just because I feel like it's a much more finished look. That might be one option for something different color wise. It also seems to make it a little easier to hide wires.

You can see in the picture that I didn't route the foot decomp lever as the instructions show. From what I could tell it's supposed to go between the frame and the motor. At that angle there was not enough angle of attack to the assembly at the top of the rod. I even tried bending the parts a little. No matter what there was going to be pressure on the lifter. This seemed like an easy option. I just had to slot the chrome cover a bit at the top to allow clearance for the decomp.

In the end I don't necessarily see why they didn't just leave an option for keeping all of the stock decomp stuff. There should be enough space for it to all fit. Who knows though.

All I should be down to is hooking up the last of the electrical at the rear of the bike, installing the tank (including petcock and gauge cluster panel), and installing the seat. It's all stuff that should only take about 4 hours...but with the way things have been going so far it will probably end up taking 12.

Saying that I'm excited to finally ride this thing is a huge understatement. It has been sitting for way too long.

IMG_3045.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 05:31:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh look....another Ryca build thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.