Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Oh look....another Ryca build thread (Read 2093 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oh look....another Ryca build thread
Reply #75 - 08/08/16 at 13:37:04

RYCA made the battery box to fit the stock big/bulky battery....and the stock battery used to extend all the way up to the seat bottom.  You have a lot more room as a result of your small battery.

Check that your compression release linkage isn't allowing the release cam to bump into the exhaust valve rocker while you are riding....that could cause the noise you are hearing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #76 - 08/09/16 at 10:55:58

I'll check that. I'm assuming that I need to view that through the inspection cover that's behind the decomp assembly?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #77 - 08/09/16 at 11:13:21

BSTON wrote on 08/09/16 at 10:55:58:
I'll check that. I'm assuming that I need to view that through the inspection cover that's behind the decomp assembly?

You need to check that your linkage isn't pulling the shaft up out of position....it should be resting in the fully clockwise position (as viewed from the left side of the bike (if you could see through the chrome head cover cap).

In this photo you posted....it doesn't look like anything is connected to the shaft - is the return spring holding the shaft in the closed position?

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #78 - 08/09/16 at 11:37:46

I'll double check it. You're right that there isn't anything connected right now. The foot actuated assembly came apart within the first couple miles of riding so I took everything back off. That was all done blindly because of the cover already being in place. I'm getting pretty good at taking the seat and tank off (especially since I don't have the nuts on the bolts yet) so it shouldn't take much to inspect.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #79 - 08/09/16 at 12:05:08

The truth is you really don't need the decompression circuit. Maybe a few times a year you will go to start the (cold) engine and it will be on the compression stroke, and as a result it wont crank. If you don't have the DeComp, all you have to do is put the bike in gear and push it backwards a few inches.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #80 - 08/09/16 at 12:39:33

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/09/16 at 12:05:08:
The truth is you really don't need the decompression circuit. Maybe a few times a year you will go to start the (cold) engine and it will be on the compression stroke, and as a result it wont crank. If you don't have the DeComp, all you have to do is put the bike in gear and push it backwards a few inches.

I did that for a year until I got my decompression working with a hand lever.  Maybe 1 out of every 100 starts the piston would be on the compression stroke and the starter couldn't get the engine to go over TDC.  And like you stated....drop it in gear and roll it backward a few inches - then it would start fine.

Some have suggested that you should not roll the engine backwards - but I really don't see that there is anything in the engine that would get upset with a gentle backwards roll.  The chain tensioner isn't going to care, the oil pump doesn't care, the rotor/stator doesn't care....and the engine sometimes makes a hard reverse and spins the other way when you shut it off.  It got me through a year of riding without issue....and I don't ride in really cold weather - so I don't know how often you need the compression release when it is cold outside!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #81 - 08/09/16 at 13:15:49

Dave,it's not good to roll it backward if your bike was made before 1996 as it doesn't have the antikickback gear in the starter, rolling the bike forward ,like trying to bump start it and popping the clutch to get it past TDC should allow it to start without damage.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #82 - 08/09/16 at 13:24:43

batman wrote on 08/09/16 at 13:15:49:
Dave,it's not good to roll it backward if your bike was made before 1996 as it doesn't have the antikickback gear in the starter, rolling the bike forward ,like trying to bump start it and popping the clutch to get it past TDC should allow it to start without damage.

My bike is a 2007....however it doesn't make any difference for the amount of force I can imply with my scrawny legs.  The Torgue limiter on the starter doesn't engage at the slow speeds that occur when you rock your bike backward...and the force  that I can apply is far below the force needed to break anything.  The "kickback" that occurs at shutdown is very violent in comparison....and it can break parts on the bikes that don't have the torque limiter.

And yes...you can also roll the bike forward - but you end up in the same situation the starter is at.....you are trying to roll the bike forward against the compression stroke - while it is very easy to roll the bike backwards in this situation.....you only have to get the piston on the other side of BDC to allow the starter to get some momentum built up to allow the engine to go over TDC.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #83 - 08/09/16 at 14:40:04

Dave wrote on 08/09/16 at 12:39:33:
Some have suggested that you should not roll the engine backwards - but I really don't see that there is anything in the engine that would get upset with a gentle backwards roll.  

Dave, I have to disagree with you here.  Teeth breaking off the one way clutch gear ring, and cracked cases is a prevalent issue with pre '90's engines.  Maybe I'm over cautious, but it's an expensive repair.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #84 - 08/09/16 at 15:56:15

Well if it makes you nervous rolling backwards against Zero compression with the starter motor turning gently while you move backward a couple inches....roll it forward against the compression...same result with lot more force required.

It is no wonder that the kickback at shut down can break things on the early motors.....when the piston comes up to TDC and then quickly rotates the other way - it does make a lot of stress inside and makes a nasty sound!

The ultimate solution....is to just get your manual Decompression Release working for that 1 in 100 starts that you need it.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #85 - 08/10/16 at 05:59:35

I have Dave's DeComp hand control on my bike since I completed it. I haven't used it since June '15. Probably 100 or more starts.

Obviously a poor purchase decision  Grin

I take that back, I enjoy getting asked "why do you have two clutch levers?"

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #86 - 08/10/16 at 06:24:36

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/10/16 at 05:59:35:
I have Dave's DeComp hand control on my bike since I completed it. I haven't used it since June '15. Probably 100 or more starts.

Obviously a poor purchase decision  Grin

I take that back, I enjoy getting asked "why do you have two clutch levers?"

Well....if you put in a Wiseco that has higher compression - it does require the use of the decompression lever a bit more often.  I don't make a habit of using the lever, I push the starter button and most of the time it just fires right up....every now and then it is on the compression stroke and requires that I use the decompression lever.

And I realize the idea of pulling the bike backwards is not going to have everyone's support - but if you stall the bike in traffic, don't have a working decompression, and need to get the bike running in a hurry......it might be in your best interest to get the bike running in a hurry.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #87 - 08/11/16 at 08:51:52

To play devil's advocate a little and for the sake of learning and conversation...

Why would the possible decomp issue only happen at certain RPMs? Is it touchy enough that IF the spring wasn't on the lever that just the pressure of rattling around freely would open the exhaust rocker?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #88 - 08/11/16 at 10:12:54

BSTON wrote on 08/11/16 at 08:51:52:
Why would the possible decomp issue only happen at certain RPMs? Is it touchy enough that IF the spring wasn't on the lever that just the pressure of rattling around freely would open the exhaust rocker?

Sympathic oscillation.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #89 - 08/12/16 at 06:47:39

The bike is definitely growing on me. I also let a couple friends ride it a little and it's really making them miss having a bike too. I don't know if the rattling noise is getting worse but I'm definitely noticing it more. I'll have to take a look at it for sure before it messes something else up.

What kind of range are people getting with their CS-1? On my first tank I got about 50mpg (after being admittedly hard on the throttle). The last thing I wanted was to run out of gas on the first day so I filled it back up when I was only at 75 miles. On my way home last night it already started sputtering at about 80 miles on the tank. Ryca says that the cut down tank is 2.5 gallons. If I really am getting 50mpg I should technically have 1 gallon available when I'm on reserve (raptor petcock). Are you actually getting a gallons worth or does most of the fuel stay on the right side of the tank so in reality there's only a small fraction of a gallon available while on reserve?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 23:58:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh look....another Ryca build thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.