Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Oh look....another Ryca build thread (Read 2093 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oh look....another Ryca build thread
Reply #105 - 08/31/16 at 18:12:31

Well looky here....RYCA makes a baffle to make the EMGO muffler less obnoxious!  It is most likely the cheapest/easiest way to get the muffler to sound better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tune-able-Muffler-Baffle-Insert-for-Short-Reverse-Con...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #106 - 05/05/17 at 09:28:48

I ended up getting the different muffler baffle from Ryca and I installed it this morning. Installation was a little more work than I was expecting. The fit of the insert was a little too tight and required a decent amount of hammering to get it in all the way. I didn't want to do that with the muffler on the bike so I pulled the muffler off first. Other than that things were pretty easy.

I like the sound overall. I tried to get a video clip in my garage but even the quieter baffle seemed to be overloading the mic a little too much. It's definitely quieter but still has the deep sound.

Seeing the insert that came with the muffler, it's no surprise that it's ridiculously loud. There was almost no fiberglass left at all. Plus I had noticed a metallic rattling sound recently. Turns out it was some sort of ring within the baffle that was loose.

baffle_001.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #107 - 05/05/17 at 10:20:48

I think I'd have saved the money and just drove a freeze plug down the center of the old baffle half way, and skipped the fiberglass(it never lasts anyway),thats how the HD Dyna is made.If it was still to loud or there wasn't enough back pressure you could drive more plugs, maybe alternating holes drilled in some, just making sure they were centered in the muffler to give an equal amount of holes in and out.

« Last Edit: 08/20/18 at 18:16:51 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #108 - 05/05/17 at 10:27:59

Hmmm. My long muffler just developed a rattle. The short, plus the insert, may be the replacement.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #109 - 08/15/18 at 13:12:27

I'm back to working on my café racer again after a lot of the bike sitting around. The plan is to make a new battery box that will be higher up under the seat. A lithium battery will allow the extra clearance since it's so short. so far I have the box mostly fabricated other than a couple tweaks. The very front of the box still dips down below the frame so I might angle that back to that it isn't visible. I'm also going to cut off the extra tabs on the frame that were meant for the Ryca side panels.

I have a question on one thing. With the box moved up the ground wire is not long enough to reach the normal mounting spot. Can the ground go to any clean metal spot on the frame or does it need to go to the motor case? If it can just go to the frame then I will possibly send it to the bracket that the tank mounts to.

New_Box.jpg
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #110 - 08/20/18 at 08:45:09

I finished up the box the other night. I also broke off one of the ends of the existing ground cable so I'm just going to make a new longer one to reach the spot that I already have on the case to ground everything.

I think overall it looks decent. I wish I had angled the front of the box a little to completely hide behind the frame but I don't know if I would have still had enough space under the seat for all of the wiring and battery. I went with a truck bed liner coating on the box to hide some of the ripples. While I was at it I also did the key/indicator cover in the tank since that was a little chipped up anyway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #111 - 08/21/18 at 04:57:30

It looks good - nice and clean.

The ground cable needs to take power to the engine block with as short of a travel path as possible.  The starter places the biggest electrical load on the battery, and the longer and more complicated you make the path - the more resistance will occur and result in less power to the starter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #112 - 08/21/18 at 06:36:44

A couple more little detail shots. The rectifier tucked back in under the battery box pretty well. It's probably not going to get quite as much air flow where it's at vs the front of the old battery box but it should still be just fine. I should have cleaned up the tabs on the frame a little more but it was hot and miserable the night that I was cutting those off and I was getting frustrated. I'll also need to touch up the spots on the box that chipped a little. At least it shows that the box had a super tight fit.  Grin

All of the wires are jammed in there. One of the things that I upgraded was to change the plug for the rear light from the individual bullet connectors for each wire to a single 5 pin plug.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #113 - 08/21/18 at 07:11:29

Looks good, but please get some rubber boots on the battery terminals.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #114 - 08/21/18 at 07:27:32

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/21/18 at 07:11:29:
Looks good, but please get some rubber boots on the battery terminals.

Maybe I just think that sparks are really cool.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 03:24:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh look....another Ryca build thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.