Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Oh look....another Ryca build thread (Read 2093 times)
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Oh look....another Ryca build thread
09/08/15 at 08:23:34

Time for another Ryca build thread. I've read through a lot of them already to try and prepare myself for what's ahead.

I picked up a pretty clean 2003 to use as the base. The previous owner had purchased the bike in 2011 with the hopes of getting his motorcycle license and using the bike around town. Well, that never happened and the odometer was only 4 miles higher when I bought it compared to the paperwork that he had from the dealer that he bought it from. I'm at work so I don't remember the exact mileage but it was right around 3100 miles on it when I bought it. The good news is that he kept it very clean, changed the oil, and even upgraded to the raptor petcock.

That was at the end of July. I put about 150-200 miles on the bike since then just because I hadn't ridden in a couple years and I missed it. I also wanted to make sure everything was running fine on the bike. I can confidently say that cruisers are not for me. The seating position is more uncomfortable for me than the sport bike position for sure. A couple times I actually ended up resting my feet on the passenger pegs just to change the position. This didn't really come as a surprise for me because I had taken a couple of my uncles' Harleys for short rides in the past and didn't like it much.

Everyone also talks about the torque and how great is is. My last bike was a Kawasaki ZZR1200 and it had gobs of low end torque and still revved up over 10k rpm so that wasn't a great selling point either. (stock was somewhere around 80ft-lbs. 65 ft-lbs were available as low as 2,800 rpm, peak hp was around 140 at the wheel)

The good news with all of that is that I'm definitely excited about converting to a cafe racer. I think the seating position will actually be moderately comfortable for me even at 6'0" and of course it never hurts that the bike is about to lose some weight.

Yesterday I started on the teardown of the bike to get to tank sent in to Ryca. I think I spent about 4 hours in the garage and ended up working on the actual bike for about 45 minutes. I tried to clean up the work area a bit before starting. Of course after getting everything cleared out I decided that I needed some more light...so the first trip to Lowe's was made. Getting the bike on the lift that I have was a little tricky just because the frame area is so small. I also couldn't find my good tiedowns to keep it on the lift and ended up using some crappy ones that were in my garage for some reason.

Teardown went fairly smoothly so far. I did things a little out of order because I was really curious what the bike sounded like without a muffler. Loud....extremely loud is the answer to that.  Grin

The only issue that I ended up running into was that the bike wanted to fall off of the stand after I removed the rear wheel. There was just too much weight hanging off of the front of the lift. I lowered it down so that the front wheel is touching the ground and moved the straps around a little. Hopefully I'll be able to track down my better straps this evening and get things more secure before one of my kids knocks the whole thing over.

(Sorry if the pictures aren't showing up right. Work has photobucket blocked so I'm assuming that the links are typed in correctly)

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Oh look....another Ryca build thread
Reply #1 - 09/08/15 at 09:24:50

Welcome to the club. It's good that you are starting with a clean bike. I started with a bucket-o-rust and in the end I spent as much time repairing corrosion as I did on the modifications. Not time well spent.

I made a simple table for working on the bike. This reduced the amount of time I was bent over, but more importantly, the table provided me with four locations at the corners of the table to secure my tie-down straps. In the coming weeks my bike is going back on the table for complete disassembly so I can send parts out for painting and powder coating. So I was very happy to have built a simple table that I have gotten two uses.

I'm a little over six feet tall too. I don't find the cafe conversion uncomfortable...nor would I call it comfortable. It's ridable for short jaunts through my favorite back roads.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #2 - 09/08/15 at 09:40:58

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 09/08/15 at 09:24:50:
I made a simple table for working on the bike.

It's ridable for short jaunts through my favorite back roads.

Have any pictures of the table? The jack that I have will get the bike up pretty high and it's at a pretty good level for the short little stool in my second picture.

I'm not planning on taking any long trips on this bike. I do some amateur car racing and I have two year old twins so I don't really have the time any more for long motorcycle trips. Plus my wife doesn't like motorcycles anyway so I think I'm stuck just riding around town for a while. This seemed like the perfect bike for that. The ZZR was fun but running it through two gears got you to a speed that could get you arrested in most areas.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 09/08/15 at 10:20:03

Here's a photo during day one of my tear-down where the table is visible.

Like you, I don't have the time full day rides and the wife doesn't enjoy riding anymore, so it's mostly early morning rides for me. I've owned a lot of sport bikes over the years so I know where you are coming from. I still own a few bikes - but the CS-1 was my go-to ride this summer. Yes, it's the newest (to me) but mostly because of its honest simplicity. One of its finest attributes is its low horsepower and light weight.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/08/15 at 10:31:57

You tore the bike down too soon......the snow hasn't started falling yet! Cool

I am 5'-8" tall, and I have ridden my Cafe' conversion on lots of 100 miles rides, and about half a dozen or so 250 mile rides (with lots of stops along the way.  It is not comfy....but it is purposeful and can be enjoyable the entire way.  It does always feel good to climb off and stretch a bit when the ride is over.  I did have the RYCA seat modified this summer to get more padding along the edges, and that has helped considerably.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #5 - 09/08/15 at 11:10:16

I'm sure the snow will be here soon enough. It mostly comes down to a few reasons.

First, I really want to make sure that this bike is done by spring and I'm worried about doing the electrical because I don't have much experience with it. The Ryca instructions seem terrible plus I'm going to wire in front and rear blinkers so that's an added change. I'm also planning on doing without the side covers because I don't really like the way that they look. This means that the electrical needs to be that much cleaner and I might need to come up with some different style cover if it doesn't work out. The bar is set pretty high but I really want something that looks closer to this one instead of the standard kit.

The second reason is that I just didn't really like riding the bike in cruiser form. It's just uncomfortable and riding when uncomfortable isn't fun.

I'm sure I'll do plenty of 100 mile trips on the bike. When I say that I'm not doing long trips, I mean multi-day cross country stuff. I didn't ever do an official iron butt ride but the last trip I took on the ZZR I rode about 275 or so miles in the Deal's Gap area in the morning and then rode home to Milwaukee, WI the same day.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 09/08/15 at 11:45:54

Many years ago I did 350 in a day on a GSX1100E. The ride started to get uncomfortable around 150-175 miles. By 250 I was constantly shifting in my seat looking for relief. When the cold rain started at 300 miles I was hoping I'd crash just to end the pain.

Since that ride any bike I've had for any kind of distance has had the best gel seat I could find.

That bike does indeed set the bar high for style. Hiding the wires without side covers can easily be done using the space in the rear cowl (there isn't much room under the tank - however I did make use of the space left behind from the eliminated instrument cluster in the tank for all of my relays). Using the rear cowl will require some wire "stretching". I think if I was going to have a hidden harness I'd take the time to eliminate the unused circuits so I'd have less wires to hide.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 - 09/08/15 at 13:44:21

One of my few perks from working at a global manufacturing company...cheap FedEx rates. It was only $5.74 to ship the tank from Wisconsin to California.   Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/08/15 at 13:57:36

May I make a tire suggestion since you are so early in your build?  Don't put a 130/70 tire on the normal size 2.50 wide rear rim...the tire is built to go on a 3.50 wide rear rim.  Installing the 130 tire on the narrow rim rolls the tread over onto the side wall and results in tread being rolled over where you can not use it.

If you want to keep the narrow Cafe' appropriate look - use a 110/80-18 rear tire on the 2.50 rim....or you can find some tire makers that provide a 4.00-18 size - which is made for the narrow rim and provides a usable tread shape and a tread width of 117mm (Bridgestone Battlax BT-45).

If you want to go with a 130/70-18 rear tire - then install a 3.00 - 3.50 wide rear rim (3.50 is the design rim width).

Obviously the front tire needs to be sized accordingly, and my current favorite is a 100/80-18.

Here is a link to the Bridgestone Battlax fitment chart.  Don't put a tire on a rim that it is not designed to fit.......find a tire that fits the rim you are using.  (The 130/70-18 tire is recommended for a 3.50 inch rim, and will fit on a 3..0 - 4.0 rim).

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt45.html

The following photo shows what happens when you mount the 130 tire on the narrow rim.....notice how the tread is rolled up on the sidewall compared to the front tire.  If you look close you can see the Chicken Strips" on my bike were about 1/4" wide on the front, and almost an inch wide in the rear.....you just can't lean the bike over far enough to ever use the tread that has been pulled over onto the side of the tire by the "too narrow" rim.
« Last Edit: 09/09/15 at 03:07:44 by Dave »  

Corner_004.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/11/15 at 03:25:45

Rylee wrote on 09/08/15 at 21:50:28:
Like Dave has said the tire issue is just that...an issue. If you really prefer the meatier tire than I would suggest just sending your rear wheel to Buchanans and having them do it. That is the company that RYCA gets their 18" hoop and spokes from. For an extra 100 dollars you can choose whatever width blank hoop you want and they build the same wheel that RYCA will build. And they're also in Cali about 15 miles from RYCA so shipping would be identical.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #10 - 09/11/15 at 10:56:48

I got a little more work done last night. The bike is now secured to the lift a lot better. It was much easier to get the straps around something stronger after the rear fender was removed. I got the rear fender off, and the front taken apart too. That includes the front wheel, forks, front brake controls, and the headlight with all of the electrical stuff running into it. I'm planning on upgrading to the kit that RycaShawn sells on here because the front brake was definitely lacking in the stock form.

The only problem so far was that one of the nuts/bolts holding the headlight assembly on was cross threaded. Putting more pressure on it cracked the plastic in the headlight mount. I ended up cutting the bolt off just above the nut so that I could take it apart. I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight to see if it can still be salvaged. I think it will be ok but I might just need to change the style of bolt.

I didn't get any pictures last night but I'll try to get some more before I start working on it more (hopefully this weekend)

« Last Edit: 09/15/15 at 14:26:51 by BSTON »  
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #11 - 09/14/15 at 07:13:09

I didn't do a whole lot more on the bike over the weekend. I got a little bit of work in on Friday night and that was about it. The picture is in the middle of the work so the bike is pretty naked right now. I got the exhaust bracket, reflectors, and passenger pegs off too. The only thing left is the shifter linkage and the horn. Of all of the things to be frozen / stuck on, it's the horn. I sprayed some lube on it and I'm hoping that it will be loose enough to come off the next time I can work on the bike.

At that point the only thing left in the frame will be the motor. I'm debating taking it out completely to help make the frame easier to work on for removing extra tabs and doing touchup paint. Is it difficult to get in and out of the frame? Am I going to spend 2 hours taking the motor out and putting it back in to save 30 minutes on cutting and painting?

image1_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 09/14/15 at 08:21:01

There's no need to remove the motor. In fact, you risk scratching the frame during the removal process. If the frame looks good and doesn't need to be powder coated, then I'd just leave it be.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #13 - 09/14/15 at 08:21:22

As an additional note, after taking off the stock muffler and rear fender it's easy to see how the Ryca kit drops so much weight from the bike. I'm pretty sure the fender is made of lead.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/14/15 at 09:42:19

I left my engine in the frame for all the cutting.....and it worked out fine.  I did throw some old blankets over the engine while cutting to keep the grit and sparks out of the engine.  

I am pretty fussy about how things look, and I was surprised how just a bit of masking and spraying black spray paint from an aerosol can was able to match the black on the frame really well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 11:49:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh look....another Ryca build thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.