Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Oh look....another Ryca build thread (Read 2093 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oh look....another Ryca build thread
Reply #90 - 08/12/16 at 06:56:08

This won't answer your mileage question - but if some of the fuel does stay in the right side of the tank when the level drops......and the bike does stop running......you can lean the bike over to the left and get some of the fuel to move over to the side with the petcock (a secondary reserve). Wink

And the rattling noise.....could it be that since you don't have the fuel tank/seat bolted down - that the mounts for those could be rattling at certain rpm?  You might try squeezing the tank with your knees and see if the rattle goes away.  The headlight bezel has also been known to rattle....and it sounds like it comes from the valve area - reach up and hold the lens/bezel and see if the rattle goes away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #91 - 08/12/16 at 07:04:27

Dave, that's an old trick (secondary reserve) that has never failed me...until I got this bike!

I ran my reserve out a mile from a gas station and it was DRY.  I put the bike on it's side and it didn't work.    Undecided

BTW, my bike has a stock tank.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #92 - 08/12/16 at 07:12:52

ohiomoto wrote on 08/12/16 at 07:04:27:
Dave, that's an old trick (secondary reserve) that has never failed me...until I got this bike!

I ran my reserve out a mile from a gas station and it was DRY.  I put the bike on it's side and it didn't work.    Undecided

BTW, my bike has a stock tank.

The back of the stock savage tank is pretty darn flat.....I don't think there is very much gas that can't flow from one side to the other.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #93 - 08/13/16 at 19:05:27

I checked the decomp lever and the spring is still on it. The u-joint piece was still on there so it's possible that I heard that rattling around. I can't get the bike out of the garage tonight so I'll have to see if that made any difference at all. You can see in the picture that it's actually past 90 degrees. There's absolutely no resistance felt in that position. In hindsight I should have left the chrome cover off so I could mess with the lever while riding to see if it makes any difference. I may still do that if I get a couple minutes in the next couple days to pop it off.

image_040.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #94 - 08/14/16 at 04:53:02

I didn't know that the spring and lever were still attached....I thought that maybe those had been removed.

Hopefully it was that other piece vibrating that made the noise.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #95 - 08/16/16 at 06:14:27

basic rule with the  savage,N.-P. G.- Never Pass Gas,and we're not talking beans here!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #96 - 08/18/16 at 06:31:38

I went for a quick ride last night to see if I was still getting the odd sound at about 2300 rpm....and I am. I'll look into that more when I get some time.

I had my first experience of someone asking about the bike. I was stopped at a light when a guy on a Nighthawk 250 pulled up next to me. Of course he asked what the bike was so I said that it used to be a Suzuki Savage. His response? What is it now?

I wasn't sure exactly how to answer that question because for some reason I didn't want to say that it was a Ryca CS-1. The only other thing that I could think of to say was "better."  Smiley

I was also reminded why I want to get a quieter exhaust as a group of Harleys took off next to me on their way to the bar by my house.  Roll Eyes The Ryca isn't that loud but it's just a douchebag thing in my opinion to have a vehicle that loud...and I don't want to annoy anyone they way that bikes that loud annoy me.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #97 - 08/29/16 at 05:36:22

As of this weekend I'm at 450 miles on the bike. I guess I'm starting to get used to the vibrations a little because the commute to work isn't as bad as the first week. It probably help that on the way to work I start out on the interstate for a couple miles and then move to the slower 2 lane roads. Starting at 70mph and backing down to 55mph makes the slower speed seem super smooth. Unfortunately I have the opposite ride on the way home.

Overall I'm still very happy with the Ryca kit. The one thing that's bugging me is the muffler though. I swear it's still getting louder and it's already discoloring quite a bit. It's really bad when you consider it only has a couple hundred miles on it.

IMG_3140.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #98 - 08/29/16 at 05:59:18

I will be able to get you a modified muffler core to try out in the next few weeks.....it will help to quite the thing down.

I do believe you will never be able to stop the discoloration of the muffler...unless you get it ceramic  coated.  The exhaust is hot and it makes the chrome turn blue at the hot spot.....mine has it in exactly the same spot, and mine is a really dark blue (almost black).

Another option is to find one of the stainless mufflers from Cone Engineering to use.  Stainless can discolor as well - but it turns more of a yellow color.  The mufflers will need to be adapted to the Savage....they currently do not make a "bolt on" muffler.
http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/motorcycle/MC-finished-Mufflers.pdf

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #99 - 08/29/16 at 07:27:27

Showroom sparkle is nice, but seeing it go away and be replaced by a coloration caused by the heat created by running it is nothing to get sad about. It's an exhaust pipe, they get Hoooot,
And stuff wears and ages and changes,, so, meh,
Get it running right, get the exhaust note that you like, and ride that thing. Filth and grime and rust, issues that I concern myself with. It's Natural for the exhaust to change colors. Some don't. My first one didn't until I was racking it off in neutral trying to hear the valves.. And then the downtube of the header was a gorgeous blue. The Jardine is almost black for the first three inches. I'm not even slightly concerned.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #100 - 08/29/16 at 08:16:10

I don't expect everything to stay perfectly sparkly. I dropped my last bike when it has 10k miles on it and scratched up the plastics on one side. I kept them that way and 35k miles later they still look the same. That bike also had a 140hp, 1200cc motor that created plenty of heat and the exhaust stayed nearly perfect for all of those miles. I get that eventually there might be some discoloration but not after 400 miles. I just expected a little higher quality.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #101 - 08/29/16 at 08:25:51

BSTON wrote on 08/29/16 at 05:36:22:
The one thing that's bugging me is the muffler though. I swear it's still getting louder....

Are you sure it's the muffler getting louder and not the flange at the head or the pipe/muffler clamp getting loose? To be safe I'd just check 'em. My flange bolts got loose on my bike after a few hundred miles. It wasn't the noise that tipped me off (it did get louder, but over time) it was the increased afterfire when closing the throttle.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
haylo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #102 - 08/29/16 at 08:56:42

Finally tired of repacking  ryca muffler and went the dyna route. Two 3/16 holes in baffle...just right. I find myself riding the bike much more often. Something to consider.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #103 - 08/29/16 at 09:36:43

The RYCA/Emgo muffler gets "louder" that the original "loud" very quickly, as there is very little fiberglass batting in it, and it burns out quickly and just bunches up in the back of the muffler.  Repacking it with more and better batting helps - but not a lot.  The Crumb Cup sink strainer modifications also helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIelY9gMqX0

When chrome gets hot is turns blue from oxidation that occurs.  I don't know if the quality of chrome has any effect on how fast that can happen, or if "chrome" composition can very much.  The header pipe has an inner and outer pipe that reduces the temperature of the outside (chrome) portion of the pipe....as the hot exhaust is in the inner pipe.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #104 - 08/29/16 at 10:39:11

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/29/16 at 08:25:51:
Are you sure it's the muffler getting louder and not the flange at the head or the pipe/muffler clamp getting loose?

Nothing on the exhaust is loose. I checked recently when trying to figure out the source of a rattle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 13:23:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh look....another Ryca build thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.