Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: So, how will you upgrade to Win 10 ?   (multiple votes OK)

I will seek it joyously as fast as I can
I will watch and wait for most of a year
I am being Borged already at Win 7/8.1
I will stay out until they force it on me
Thinking about jumping ship - do something else
Will stay where I am until my hardware dies
ChromeOS or Linux for me, thank you
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE RESULTS

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 09/01/15 at 09:35:28 »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Oh my! Windows 10 already? (Read 2183 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oh my! Windows 10 already?
Reply #60 - 07/29/15 at 11:18:52

Microsoft has cut off all business upgrading across the board until they fix a few things .......    and create an upgrade checklist about how much time you have available and do you have any job critical reports due soon, etc.

« Last Edit: 07/29/15 at 18:05:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #61 - 07/29/15 at 11:59:45

http://liliputing.com/2015/07/how-to-get-windows-10-right-now.html

How to get Windows 10 right now

In response to MS stopping the gravy train until the gravy is all properly cooked, well, who the heck do they think they are?   God or sumpthin' ???

I like option #3 --- make MS geek !!!!    FORCE THEM TO GIVE IT TO YOU !!!!

Gabe Abdul is a flipping his hair over and speaking very angrily about all them impatient MS fans  who are totally jumping the gun right now and "force downloading" the current (somewhat broken) stuff that MS obviously hasn't got the drivers all rigged quite right for your particular machine just yet .....

What this will do is make MS formally announce a Win 10 delay and pull the download pages down --- which is what they needed to do in the first place.

Bunch o' broken machines out there in Woggle land tonight .....   one heck of a Grand Intro Day, huh?

Gabe flips his hair back over again after shaking his head too hard

Aren't you sorry you went and disabled the System Restore points, Gabe old boy?    Might want to put it back AND make it a required step in the process, huh?

Wink     I am enjoying this too much, huh?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #62 - 07/29/15 at 12:21:23

Well I downloaded it today, per my own way..... control panel/system and security/windows update.
Worked for me, didn't have to wait in que......

I was going to do an in depth report on all the times for each screen, how long each segment took /w times and ended up just sitting, watching and writing for 3 hours. Yup from 10:10 to 12:33 was the download and install, I then spent the next 30 minutes trying to figure out where the display drivers for my laptop were and installed them.

I have lost my keyboard shortcut keys and don't know how to get them back, when I did finally get the drivers loaded my display was super bright and seems to have returned to super bright after I logged on to the new IE (yeah they have a new name for it, but its explorer 11).

All of my programs and pictures and music and all that stuff are where they were before the upgrade, but my IE favorites are no where to be found, so I have lost some very important information on stuff I really wanted to keep track of, like family gravesite locations, truck part retailers, motorcycle part retailers ect..... it did however keep my password for this site (go figure, and I haven't gone to other sites yet to see if they are there).

The browser (edge) is a bit different and will take a little getting used to, I haven't loaded Cortana on this one yet but probably will so I can use her to search faster than I can type. Edge is fast....for now.... I don't know if it builds up a cache like the older browsers so we shall see.

I will go through all my programs over the next few days and see if any of them are having problems. I have noticed that the windows programs are from what I can see still there, like movie maker, music and windows picture viewer..... along with the games, so maybe it was just a software side write instead of an "overwrite", meaning it didn't delete any of the old software programs, just left them be. Maybe the new complete disc version of windows won't have all that stuff, if there is a new disc version.

I did hear that if I accepted windows 10, that my windows 8.1 license is now null and void and cannot be used again.... however.... if my laptop crashes and I have to use my backup discs, it will let me and then update me to windows 10 again.

So far so good, my little laptop got me started, so I wasn't too afraid, and I am wondering if I get to keep the Windows 10 Pro that's on my little laptop verses the Windows 10 Home this one now has. Like I said a few posts back, the pro version really doesn't have anything "pro" about it. You would think it would have office or excel or some other office programs loaded on it.

More on this stuff later.... a big storm has moved in and i'll probably lose my connection a couple of times...

EDIT:  I found out how to "import" my favorites into my browser.... I am happier now....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 07/29/15 at 17:36:18

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2952507/windows/windows-10-launches-with-its-f...

"Microsoft’s been candid in claiming that Windows 10 will never be perfect. The company used millions of Windows Insider beta testers to help squash bugs before launch. But as more and more users download, install, and test the new OS, notable issues are coming to light."

Oh my, copy function won't copy, headphones won't unmute, the download process itself is broken, oh yes, there are TONS of little nasty buggies to fix.

Lots of  hardware incompatibilities, lots of sneaky little "it don't work with la de da" issues and some right embarrassing stuff where "it just isn't there yet" (stuff that is not completed yet and isn't released yet but other parts of the system are sending calls to it).

No Windows release at any time has been this fraught with simple trash type errors, ever.

Windows ME wasn't this bad (although it never got totally fixed and never got all totally better either).

Microsoft got all lazy during the big push to get Win 10 out -- they forgot about polish and QC functions just about completely.

I think the majority of IT managers who were considering rolling early from Win 7 just did a massive rethink (rightfully so).

Microsoft looked like a company that had cut a third of its workforce in order to cut cost -- and it performed about like it too.

Today was the WORST thing MS could have done to themselves in their efforts to be your "one and only operating system".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #64 - 07/29/15 at 17:50:00

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-launch...

And here is the total compendium of ALL found issues and temporary fixes including a convoluted fix to all the downloader issues that were found today.

Many of these fixes are included in the DAY ONE patch that MS pushed out later on in the afternoon.   However many were not able to be patched as they are incompatibilities between Win 10 and older software written with older tools.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-deliver...

"Windows 10 may only be a matter of hours old but Microsoft has put the finishing touches to a humongous Day One patch.

First reported by WinBeta, the day one patch is around 1GB in size and as such contains plenty of different fixes to last minute bugs that made it into the final release due to the fact they arrived too late for Microsoft to fix them.

The patch itself is a mere 500MB in size, however, this expands to the size mentioned above when it is applied and there are two different files that can already be downloaded depending on whether you have an X86 or X64 system.

You only need to download the files yourself if you haven't downloaded Windows 10 as an upgrade because the installation will automatically be updated to 10240.16405 as soon as you decide to make the jump to the new OS.

More bugs soon?

Releasing this patch hot on the heels of the OS itself makes it even less likely that any large scale bugs will affect the OS in its early days, however, it remains an almost nailed-on certainty that more small bugs will be discovered in the coming days."

I read this and realized the Day One Patch was for KNOWN bugs that were there when the day started (couldn't be rolled into the download mirrors in time).

This humongus load of crap was SENT OUT TO YOU, AS KNOWN AND UNFIXED.

Not well played, MS -- not good form at all.

Angry         ...... and here comes the Day 2 Patch, and the Day 3 Patch and the Day 4 Patch ....... each patch size doubling as it has to include the previous patch materials.    

Service Pack 1 is coming rapidly at this sort of rate.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 07/29/15 at 18:37:37

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-problems-experience

Here is a well written listing of the major issues seen prior to Win 10 launch day.   So many were repeated on the Day 1 reports it is worthwhile to mention that they were PRE-EXISTING flaws that MS couldn't / didn't fix in time.

The scope and size if the KNOWN PRE-EXISTING flaws that were allowed to go to into Launch Day is positively demeaning for the guys at MS.

MS deserves all the black eyes and butt kicking they are going to get from the computing press over this mess .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 07/29/15 at 18:52:10

My wife was seeing news on her iPad today from the Apple folks concerning the Win 10 launch day.   She got a phone call from a peer who had crashed her Win 8.1 machine during the upgrade process.  

Then all the Apple folks on iNews were having a field day with Win 10 Launch Day problems and issue reports --- my wife has now instructed me to leave her 3 Windows laptops ALONE and do not upgrade them, period.    EVER.

"If they last until we retire, that is good enough."

I tried to explain that we are NOT IN CONTROL of what Microsoft goes and does to a Win 7 or Win 8 machine using the new forced auto update EULA.

"Then buy me a Mac for Christmas".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #67 - 07/29/15 at 19:02:14

Out here in the world of computer illiteracy, I noticed a get Windows 10 icon thing has disappeared from the right bottom corner of my monitor screen.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #68 - 07/29/15 at 20:39:40

Funny, both my systems are running and I had no crashes with either load. I knew all the drivers were not going to be included in the software, I have fixed the video one, still working on my "hotkeys", but I think it is with asus and I have been lazy this afternoon.

I got my phones to synch and can transfer files and contacts. I have yet to try my digital camera, but since the phones have the same usb type, there should not be a big deal.

As with any windows download there are going to be those folks that only point out the errors (which for me were very few) and not any of the good points.

Edge is a really fast browser, I don't know what they did to it, but it flies right along, even with 8 pages open and who knows how many ad video files loading up on it.

When I first started up Edge my computer slowed and I did a task manager search to find that my drive was being clobbered at 97% usage, memory was about medium usage, but I found that it was because of the internet explorer 11 updates. They might call it edge, but the drivers that were loaded would flash IE 11 lines now and then.

I am still trying my software items and my games, they all have worked, I have only had to adjust the brightness on a couple. I am actually playing one of the games (WoW) as i'm typing this, and it and Edge are still running fast. I also have my Microsoft picture viewer open along with media, still no slowing.

I do hear my hard drive do its thing every now and then, but I've always heard that, but it does seem to do it less often now, also my heat fan does not rev to max very often now, it used to max out about every 5 or 6 minutes for about 30 seconds then go back to normal speed.  I suppose I should start my computer monitor (it monitors speed, cpu usage, heat, ect...) LOL, if I can remember what directory I put it in. Smiley

Happy with the load so far.... moving right along.... it will probably take me a day or so to figure out about my keyboard shortcuts (probably will just be a driver update from asus or amd), but i'm sure I will.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 07/29/15 at 21:40:43

Old_Rider

You were (and still are) a Win 10 Beta tester -- you are in the fast ring for getting updates and the stuff you get is still the furtherest along level of "pre-released" stuff.

Plus, you are more used to the system than most of the folks hitting it today are.

What amazes me is MS can orchestrate that many updates, period.   Over a billion people touched MS update today for new files, etc.  

Yes, the number of flaws is few compared to the number of things that went right, but nobody (not Apple, not me, certainly not my wife) is going to give MS much credit for a launch that was as flawed like this one certainly was.

That list of shite was KNOWN about, but not fixed.   PUSHED out intentionally, in a broken state, to real end users.    To meet a deadline, which was just to keep some big investors happy.

MS is supposed to be emulating Linux Distros -- who (with the exception of Ubuntu) DO NOT put out new versions until they are completely debugged and completely ready.   Linux Mint people would have had an absolute litter of kittens and changed distros ASAP if Clem at Linux Mint ever did anything remotely resembling what MS just did.

Old, you signed up to be a Beta Tester,  the rest of these fine folks who got burned by Win 10 today did NOT sign up for a Beta software experience.    They were all pumped up by Gabe and the MS publicity machine.    They were not expecting those raw jagged edges on lots of stuff, which is what they actually got sent to them.  

What I see different from the past version launches is the computing press is not singing in the choir this time, but are telling it like it is (good and bad).

Embarrassed      Oooops ..... MS has screwed their Win 10 pooch again -- and the SPCA is after them for doing it out in public.

Surprise -- you are all Beta Testers now.         Wink

« Last Edit: 07/30/15 at 03:57:49 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #70 - 07/29/15 at 22:09:41

JC,

I suspect a lot of 'Win 10 ready states' got reviewed and taken back until some stuff actually really gets fixed for real and permanent.

If you have a known video card driver issue, or some other basic part of your machine isn't tied down completely as far as Win 10 goes you won't see your little icon back for a while.

I have an older Toshiba machine, and I will get my "go" later on after Toshiba geeks the drivers and such they have been asked for.    Since Toshiba is all tied up in its nickers about lying to its stockholders right now (and finding a new CEO after the scandal killed off the last one) they may be slow to do this sort of homework for MS ---- on older machines especially.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #71 - 07/29/15 at 22:32:44

Thanks OF, don't think I have ever brought a video card if that's how you get them. PC is a five to seven year old HP, I think it was a run out when I brought it new five years ago. I have one game I occasionally use, a Russian pistol shooting game, other than that it's email, a little YouTube, this forum and two antique car ones and general surfing.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #72 - 07/29/15 at 22:58:51

jc, sounds like you might not be able to even download windows 10, probably only have 2gig of ram and your video card will probably have a 512k cache.

It might be better for you if you got ahold of a low priced tablet if all you do is surf the net and do emails.

I bought a cheap RCA, but would not recommend it now that I've seen a lot of replies to my video.

For about $125 you can probably pick up a good 8-10" tablet from Samsung that will do you good, you could also just keep your PC and use it like you are now.

Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #73 - 07/30/15 at 00:58:08

OR and OF, my computer has this in it, you might know if it is Windows 10 capable. I thank you OR as I wiped five years dust off various vent holes to take the picture.

006_007.jpg

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 07/30/15 at 03:55:36

JC,

With these specs you fall within the range of what Win 10 should support.

I don't know why you lost your little Window icon -- MS has had beaucoup little issues with their upgrade system, so you are one of thousands who can't get the window to show up.

For you to have it and then LOSE it infers that it was removed by MS due to something.    We may be wrong in this assumption.    It may mean they ain't got a clue about what happened this time .......

So, this new blue screen announcement may mean exactly what it says in the new Beta Mode MS mind set.

« Last Edit: 07/30/15 at 05:45:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 23:20:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh my! Windows 10 already?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.