Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: So, how will you upgrade to Win 10 ?   (multiple votes OK)

I will seek it joyously as fast as I can
I will watch and wait for most of a year
I am being Borged already at Win 7/8.1
I will stay out until they force it on me
Thinking about jumping ship - do something else
Will stay where I am until my hardware dies
ChromeOS or Linux for me, thank you
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE RESULTS

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 09/01/15 at 09:35:28 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Oh my! Windows 10 already? (Read 2183 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Oh my! Windows 10 already?
Reply #30 - 07/14/15 at 04:52:11

Well, I did the windows 10 on my smaller laptop because I did not want to "compromise" my new fancy smancy dancy 17" HP.

I can't imagine how it would run on the 17" HP.... which has the AMD A10 Elite Quad-core.

Yeah i'm chicken, but the windows fella's do say not to load it into a much needed machine because it might cause a problem and they won't be responsible for it... come to think of it... no software company is responsible for any of their software, and yet we click "OK".......sigh.....

The little "Get Windows 10" icon on my taskbar is calling me..... it will be a free version for me, and if I download it now I will be on a "priority list" according to the new posts from the windows team.

I downloaded my World of Warcraft game onto the little win10 laptop last night, of course blizzard told me that my system was not up to the task of running the game in "optimal mode", but I loaded it up anyway.
It runs no worse than it used to, kinda jumpy at times, even at the lower settings, but it is still playable, which tells me that if I download win10 on the big HP it will run also.

Thing is, I don't remember if all my programs transferred, I'll have to write down what I have loaded and see....well...maybe.... the deadline is getting nearer.... oh the pressure!! Roll Eyes Undecided

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 07/14/15 at 08:21:29

Fair warning to those who procrastinated ......

You can no longer download a Win 7 reinstall ISO from MS --- they took them all down last week.

You CAN still get the ISO off a Linux FOSS site, but you will have to hunt for them.

Having a proper Win 7 or Win 8.1 existing install is necessary to pursue the free upgrade to Win 10.

I also find that the Win 7 install disk will try to install on older machines (some of them) but the Win 8.1 disk always balks when it detects an "unapproved" earlier version like XP.    

The Win 10 disk ALWAYS balks at a "funny" install -- so I am now trying reformatting the hard drive and installing the Win 7 completely virgin which should leave no tracks for the Win 10 disk to find.

Good luck on your upgrade journey ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #32 - 07/14/15 at 19:07:01

When I buy a new laptop or pc I always get the "recovery" or "install" discs or I don't buy them.
Had a guy at the local Best Buy tell me they don't give the discs with new stuff anymore and I would have to download a "recovery" disc set.
I told him have a nice day (was a $1400 laptop), as I was walking away a manager says "wait a minute sir, I will see if we have a copy in the back". Turns out they take the disc's and keep them, so they can "fix" your computer when it breaks, since you download the "recovery disc" when you boot up for the first time, you really don't need the original windows discs.
I find this kind of sneaky and underhanded, so I don't buy from them any longer.
Oh, and the Walmart ones actually come with driver discs, and recovery ones (if you buy the higher priced ones).
I just have to copy all my games and stuff to a flash drive so I can put everything back into place on a fresh install of win10.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 07/15/15 at 03:37:03

Best Buy used to get a lot of money from me until Staples began price matching (and price beating) on just about every Best Buy sale add.   Staples and Office Max got my money around Thanksgiving and Christmas from then on.

Then Amazon came along, and I started buying through the internet.

Of all the venues, Best Buy had the worst terms and the worst warranty service.   But they did have LOCAL SERVICE, which was better than the nothing that Staples had. Towards the end I would buy the Best Buy total replacement insurance rather than deal with Best Buy repair service dept.   Staples had insurance too, so whichever was cheaper got bought.

The best service I have had in the last 10 years comes from Amazon, who will simply give your money back pending you sending in the item back on a prepaid UPS mailer that you print out as part of the return process.

BTW --- today is "black friday sale" at Amazon if you are a prime member.

"Prime Day: More Deals than Black Friday | Exclusively for Prime Members

Prime Day is a global shopping event, offering more deals than Black Friday, exclusively for Prime members. On Wednesday, July 15 new and existing members will be able to shop thousands of Lightning Deals, Deals of the Day, and will receive unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping. Members will find deals starting at midnight PDT, with new deals starting throughout the day, as often as every ten minutes. Not a Prime member? Try Prime today and get immediate access to deals on July 15.
"

« Last Edit: 07/15/15 at 09:27:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #34 - 07/15/15 at 07:37:32

well I have a virgin install of 8.1, so far no offer of 'free' 10 lol
Any dual booted linux with 8.1 yet?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #35 - 07/16/15 at 05:41:34

Yeah, I was a dummy and watched the amazon site most of the day....deals were not so great, Ebay is better.

We did buy our cat another auto water contraption, the one that has a pump and makes like a faucet/waterfall.
When the kittens were young the owner would leave a faucet running so they could drink, ruined the cat, she only drinks from a running faucet, so we bought the water fall auto water thingie.
We have been looking for one for awhile just in case the one we have breaks, now we have a replacement.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 07/16/15 at 06:47:34

One thing that strikes me is that after 4 years of churning up new approach after new approach that MS is now plugging in 3rd party software bits and pieces when they can find one that works "better" than their stuff (or else perform roughly on the level of the industry leader, which depends on which bit your are talking about).

It shows they are determined to do better AND that they still have money in their pockets to do so.   A critical mind would say "desperate to do better" but that is OK since they are in a desperate situation, having lost over a third of the company's personnel in the last 3 years and being under the self-imposed deadline gun now with stockholders holding their feet in the fire to ship on time.

They are generating some buzz and generating some hope that now that they actually created a better OS than their old products -- easy enough to do I would think.

Good enough to lure business to change over from Win 7 ??? -- that is the real question.    Win 10 won't be a success unless this happens.

Business isn't doing anything until the pricing is known --- then they will weigh cost vs benefits.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #37 - 07/16/15 at 06:48:18

I had a cat like that, but no one ever taught her that, Miss Kitty was just like that from the start
Considering she was a loving pet, and took training well, (I had her trained to where you could leave your plate in her reach and she wouldn't touch it, so long as you didn't have Stove Top Stuffing on it, that cat was mad for Stove top Stuffing. she picked it up in a paw and ate it out of her paw, rather than chomp it off the plate, which was cute, so I hadn't the heart to try to break her of it) leaving a faucet running wasn't so big a boo. i eventually bought the same sort of 'rock garden waterfall' so I could turn the faucet off

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #38 - 07/22/15 at 11:59:56

Went to do my daily "how's this thing running today" on my little laptop and started the update for win 10 pro insider preview build 10642.
After about the third update and restart (15 min) something strange happened, when the reboot finished, I had a 4" large circle on my screen with a big ol' 0% and the words "Updating to Windows 10" and " We are updating, your computer will restart several times so, just sit back and relax"
Well after about 45 minutes of "sitting and relaxing", I now have Windows 10 Pro (there are no insider words or build numbers anywhere on my screen and my "about this computer" says Windows 10 Pro, so I guess it is official and I have my first full update to the new windows 10.
I don't know what's so "Pro" about it though, it doesn't have Cortana yet, and windows office is a "get office" option. I have a "notebook".... hmmmm, guess all pro's need that.
It also has a few other things, i'll attempt to get a screen shot to show what it looks like.

« Last Edit: 07/22/15 at 13:43:42 by old_rider »  

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #39 - 07/22/15 at 13:46:02

Could not get the laptop to do a print screen no matter what key combo I would use.....sigh...
I'll have to figure out what is happening there....
I think my net is being choked today, because all the computers are being really slow. Angry

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 07/22/15 at 15:09:10

try pushing the camera button   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #41 - 07/24/15 at 20:53:11

Went out to best buy today, they had a sale on the Toshiba 1 & 2 TB external mini hard drives.
The 1TB was $49.99 and the 2TB was $84.99, not a bad deal, especially since I had a $25 best buy gift card to burn.
You guessed it, I bought the 2TB one, its about 5" X 3" X 1" and only uses the 3.0 USB to power it.
Took about 1.5 hours to fully backup my big laptop, I usually let the backup software do its thing, then since it usually saves the files in its own format (this one did too, in .NFI files) I went ahead and did a drag and drop on my most important stuff.
After I did all my backups I OK'd my system for the little Win10 thing on my task bar (remember that pic?), and all it does is to set you up for a "que" when widows 10 is ready to release.
Even though I could probably use my insider disk to load it up, I think i'll just wait to see how long it will take for me to get my number to download onto my main laptop.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 07/25/15 at 07:35:00

Old_rider,  Talos Principal is on sale 66% off on steam today.   I know your wife likes the wandering around puzzle games and this is a good 'un.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #43 - 07/25/15 at 08:42:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/25/15 at 07:35:00:
Old_rider,  Talos Principal is on sale 66% off on steam today.   I know your wife likes the wandering around puzzle games and this is a good 'un.

Thanks, I will let her know....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #44 - 07/25/15 at 08:45:22

Well while flippin' through the net this morning I ran across another win10 install story... I read the first one about 3 days ago and thought "hey, i'd like to follow how this guy does, since he uses way more stuff than I do".
But alas I forgot to "fav" the link, but guess what, he has done a follow-up called "day 2"... and links his day one story in it....
This guy is pretty "savvy" on software, so i'll link his stories as I see them...

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-10-day-two-1720099952

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 04:06:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh my! Windows 10 already?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.