Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: So, how will you upgrade to Win 10 ?   (multiple votes OK)

I will seek it joyously as fast as I can
I will watch and wait for most of a year
I am being Borged already at Win 7/8.1
I will stay out until they force it on me
Thinking about jumping ship - do something else
Will stay where I am until my hardware dies
ChromeOS or Linux for me, thank you
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE RESULTS

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 09/01/15 at 09:35:28 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Oh my! Windows 10 already? (Read 2183 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oh my! Windows 10 already?
Reply #15 - 06/22/15 at 08:27:38

Here is the update in full text -- once again it is tempting to mock the triple split forked tongue with which MS speaks, but it is also clear MS really really WANTS you to upgrade to Win 10 as they are already downsizing the people who take care of the old stuff, and MS will lay off their sea of contract workers when Win 10 is finally finished.    Eventually, the deal will jell but right now folks who want to REGISTER as testers and install a prelim Win 10 are the only ones who stand an outside chance of a free Win 10 ride.

Thoughts on getting the license code off the Authentic MS sticker on the box of an installed Win 7 or better machine --- yeah, well, folks can read now can't they?

"Update: Note that you’ll need to associate your Windows 10 Insider Preview build with Microsoft Account to get the upgrade or any future Insider updates. While you won’t need a Microsoft Account to perform a normal upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 or to use Windows 10 generally, you will need one to upgrade from Windows 10 Insider Preview to Windows 10 final.

It’s also worth noting that when Aul’s blog post was first published on Friday, it said users that had performed a clean install of the Windows 10 Insider Preview would be able to upgrade to Windows 10 final and their version of Windows would remain activated. Now it doesn’t say that anymore.

The post has been changed to say that only users with “Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1″ can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. In other words if you haven’t already paid for Windows in one way or another (by buying a boxed or downloaded copy, or by purchasing a PC with the OS pre-loaded), then there’s officially no free upgrade to Windows 10 for you. Whether you’ll be able to do it unofficially remains to be seen… but you may need to buy a valid Windows license key if you don’t already have one associated with your computer.

It’s hard to parse Microsoft semantics though. Gabe Aul has responded to several questions on Twitter in a way that suggests you can essentially get a licensed and activated Windows 10 for free by signing up for the Windows Insider Program, installing a Windows 10 Preview before July 29th, and linking it to your Microsoft Account. But as mentioned above, the amended blog post  specifically says users only get to upgrade for free from licensed, activated Windows 7 or 8.1 systems.

So the company seems to be sending mixed messages: while it’s clear that anyone who is running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 for free… and that anyone running a Windows 10 Preview build will also be able to upgrade, it’s not entirely clear if you’ll have a genuine, activated windows license after the upgrade if you performed a clean install on a system that had never been running Windows 7 or 8.1 to begin with. It’s possible that you will be able to, but Microsoft is discouraging it (which would explain the change in language). It’s also possible you won’t be able to unless you can enter a valid Windows license key (there’s a good chance that one was affixed to the side of your computer when you bought it)."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 06/22/15 at 08:27:46

When 8.1 goes away I will likely switch to a chromebook / box

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 06/22/15 at 08:33:43

And that will be easier by then as all new printers now support it out of the box now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 06/22/15 at 08:48:00

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2938636/microsoft-windows/microsoft-mudd...

MS is catching some shite from ComputerWorld for all this flip flopping they are doing of late --- inference being that TRUST is being eroded since they can't seem to say the same thing two times in a row when communicating about Win 10.    

The whole roll out is beginning to smell slightly of fish now (one month out from go day) since nothing is final finished about the PC package at this point in time, not even the free preliminary update deal itself, nor the preliminary software ISO packages that have been put out for download.

"The confusion may be frustrating to some customers -- as in many other cases, customers who are among the most vocal of Microsoft's -- but moot for the vast majority of users, who will simply upgrade existing, and eligible, PCs. Microsoft's licensing is complex enough that there are countless edge cases where ambiguity is a side effect.

Still, the lack of clarity about many questions related to Windows 10 at this late date is disturbing, although not rare for Microsoft. At times the company seems entirely unable to come clean about its policies."

Apparently I am not the only one who feels MS is intentionally holding back on "the rest of the story" as they know the raw truth would be a deal killer for some.

==================================

BTW, something stopped the 15" XP machine from finishing with the Win 10 prelim installation.   It isn't bricked, and will still boot to XP so I was lucky ......

(I guess)     Roll Eyes

This sux a bit, but it is just another little bitty fishy smelling piece to go right along with all the other Win 10 fish smelling confusion so far.

You are being enticed to load the software -- if you are greedy they seem to give you a chance to beat the system some, but then they yank it away afterwards and hit you in the face with the real deal when it finally steps out of the fog.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #19 - 06/22/15 at 12:40:08

Jumped back to start again with my refurb disc's.
Two drives with 100+ gigs ea., could have swore this old laptop had 500gig, but guess it only had 250gig.
It made 3 partitions, one for 116gig(87gig left, so new win 10 is 29gig?) another "data" drive with 105gig, and then the recovery one...
So I guess I got my space back, now if I want I suppose I could load mint16 or 17 and let it create a boot sector and I could use the 105gig "data" partition for that.
There is also a new Internet Explorer called Microsoft Edge (project Spartan), it keeps telling me to load it with my "aps" LOL but its not listed. I guess I will wait for the updates that are more than likely going to happen at the most inopportune time Roll Eyes

HEY Old Feller, did you download the X32 version of Win 10? for that XP machine?
I have an old PC in the garage I was playing with for my camera system, maybe i'll go attempt to put the X32 bit version on it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 06/22/15 at 14:56:10

You can try it, I had no luck with it either.    I never got past the square window "waiting" icon on any XP machine with either disk.

Got permission from wife to scrag one of her good 15" laptop machines (she understands doing anything MS is a risk proposition) and she knows I have a Win 7 disk coming which can fix the scragged machine if needed.

I find the whole thing very "fishy" at this stage --- and would not put it past MS to intentionally scrag a few 10's of thousands of XP class machines "accidentally" during the doing of it.

After all, it is YOUR fault --- you were repeatedly told not to try to put Win 10 on an XP machine IN WRITING.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 06/22/15 at 15:28:55

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windo...

Read it,  the boy explains what he was trying to say when he cranked up all this controversy --- he's telling the straight party line now and apologizing profusely but there ain't no free Windows 10 unless you already have a current real Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 license to upgrade to Win 10.

The fact you were a trial group Prelim type person is MEANINGLESS ......   as in counts for absolutely NOTHING.

In short, MS lied to you (again).   You spent months letting them view your keystrokes and putting up with all the version after version after version BS for nothing.

You are just being handed the blame for all the things still wrong with Win 10 as "we just did what the preliminary users told us they wanted" --- which is complete BS as MS just did exactly what they wanted to go do and then used the Prelim people as their built in whipping boys.

And then MS didn't even give them their free copy of Win 10 at the end.

"Screwgled" doesn't come from Google --- in both cases it was invented by MS and applied by them in liberal coatings to innocent people.

« Last Edit: 06/23/15 at 04:06:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 06/22/15 at 19:14:17

Oh, i'm not worried, when they say I gotta pay to keep it working, i'll just dump it again and reload vista, then put one oh them minty things on the drive.

I kinda like messing with new stuff to get kinda ahead of the game every now and then. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 06/22/15 at 21:55:58

Well here is a little better clarity on the "free" part

"If you clean install the Windows 10 preview now and continue to opt-in to future updates then you’ll get your free copy of Windows 10, but you’ll have to put up with potential pre-release software bugs and continued updates in the future. Microsoft says Windows 10 is "intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices," but the Windows Insider program is a clear, if complicated, loop hole if you don’t have a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license."

The nuance here is that Microsoft will keep fresh copies of Windows 10 activated for testers only if they keep opting-in to future preview updates. So if you’ve clean installed a Windows 10 preview build and upgrade to the final on July the 29th, then you don’t have to worry about activation as long as you keep receiving pre-release updates. "Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program," explains Microsoft’s Gabe Aul.

So I guess my little 15" laptop will forever and always be a "test model"

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 06/23/15 at 04:05:38

My wife has two vital laptop machines -- I have a Win 7 coming for one of them and a Win 8.1 coming for the other one.

Beyond that, MS really blows on this "early" Win 10 stuff as it is all a real pain in the ass to deal with as a prelim user.  The Preliminary user deal has suddenly become completely and totally useless (by MS's  choice).

We shall see if they clean it all up neatly and make the real upgrade easy for the real end users.

How long will prelim program last once MS has a massive number of real users on line to use as guinea pigs?   Not very long.

Wink

« Last Edit: 06/28/15 at 17:52:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 06/23/15 at 07:58:11

After 3 days of Windows, coming back to Linux is like this ........

I suspect Apple people feel something similar.    

Microsoft and their ugly baby puts my nerves on edge.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 06/28/15 at 04:24:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ez20A5PAA

THE COMPARISONS ON WIN 10 PC ARE STARTING TO SHOW UP ON YOUTUBE !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ_Op5y_kP8      ..... it is a YouTube, so click on it .....

After 4+ years in development, folks are mentioning that Win 10 performance speed is not any faster, it is exactly like Win 7 speedwise for doing things and other than Cortana nothing is actually new, they are just rehashes of old XP and Win 7 era features that were dropped at Win 8, or else were 3rd party aftermarket softwares that were popular back then (and MS bought the companies for a song after Win 8 came out).    

Since Cortana is actually an old Nokia phone feature originally from a company called TellMe that Nokia wound up buying in 2009, so you could make the argument that Cortana itself is just more old bought stuff that was tossed into the Win 10 PC stewpot by MS.

The answer given to the big question "Should you upgrade your PC?" has a simple answer.

YES, if it is free for you to do so.     ..... this ignores the yearly upgrade subscription costs that is likely going to hit you in year 3 ......

Is it any real performance improvement?     NO.

Win 10 is bulkier and NO FASTER on any task -- remember that.

« Last Edit: 06/30/15 at 08:24:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #27 - 07/13/15 at 10:08:20

I'm up to build 10182 of Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview and man is there a difference!

Well for now the Explorer now called "Edge" is screamin' fast (probably until the cache starts to build up)
So I guess i'll keep ya'll up to date on my "opinion" of Windows 10. Not that I am a "fan boy" or anything, I like to think I am not bias against anything until it proves it sux. Smiley

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #28 - 07/13/15 at 13:03:07

keep us updated

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 07/13/15 at 19:02:05

http://innov8tiv.com/microsoft-edge-browser-vs-google-chrome-edge-will-replac...

Microsoft Edge Browser VS Google Chrome: Edge Will Replace Google Chrome as The Best Browser for Mobile and PC

First, this is a brand new mobile browser, not the Spartan browser that was originally planned for Win 10.    The Windows team is claiming they "converted" Spartan to this and Spartan was just a code name, but the original Spartan was a cleaned up IE and this is ..... not.   People are asking where MS bought it from, but right now I agree with the reviewers ....

.... who cares?   It is fast and light and it does not slow down and choke over memory usage (it turns the memory back loose very quickly).

It is good stuff and it will make Google get better real fast (or get replaced real fast).

If they can blend it in with Cortana seamlessly and make the pair of them work better than "OK GOOGLE", then they will have a winner on their hands.

Why is Edge so fast?  

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2015/05/25/3-reasons-why-microsofts-edge-browser...

Reading this says that EDGE hauls ass on those items that do not contain ANY legacy calls to old poky softwares (like flash and java).    EDGE simply doesn't work with old stuff -- it ignores all those calls and either doesn't show it or stops cold and tells you all about your moldy web sites.

This new EDGE browser signals a need for all web sites to be updated to HTML2 standards, and to drop all the old moldy IE specific stuff contained in most old sites.    Edge spells end of use for Flash and Java ....  bye boys.

Google Chrome has some memory and speed hang ups that are based on their own older AI based search functions -- this time around Google will be the respondent to a real MS challenge.  

Both Google Chrome and Firefox are currently burdened with old IE compatibility fixes that MS itself has flat-arsed dropped off now,  smoking and steaming copious brown vapors right on down onto the cold cold concrete -- plop !!!

And we love it !!!!

We all know Google does their very best work (quickest work too) once somebody really pisses them off good with a real hard hitting challenge.    And EDGE is a strong challenge aimed right at Google's jugular vein.

Go MS Go !!!!   Go piss off 'ol SwitzerGoogle some and let's see this bulky green dude come back out again !!!!

Watch out there, Bruce Google Banner --- that snicky quick MS EDGE stuff could indeed be the basis of a REAL MICROSOFT CHROMEKILLER using the not yet released Win 10 Mobile for the lighter faster OS handle portion and EDGE as the knife portion of the spear.

Go get your green on, Bruce --- Hulk Go Smash Stupid MS Browser --- go get 'em Hulk boy

Cheesy

« Last Edit: 07/14/15 at 07:05:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 03:27:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh my! Windows 10 already?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.