Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
Savage only tops out at 60 (Read 1939 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Savage only tops out at 60
Reply #195 - 05/25/15 at 19:24:44

I can't tell from a video..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #196 - 05/27/15 at 11:42:24

YouTube never produces sound well, I didn't really appreciate the difference a Dyna muffler makes on a Savage till I heard one in person

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #197 - 05/28/15 at 13:06:31

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #198 - 06/02/15 at 11:44:49

Ok, so I just finished reading this entire thread and....wow. I learned several things.
1) Most of the folks on this forum are incredibly helpful, for no other reason than they love the Savage and want others to get the most out of their bikes. The way some of you treated the young man who started this thread was, in my humble opinion, not particularly nice or welcoming.
I have been involved in specific subject forums for years and the very first rule is..." if you dont have anything nice/informative/helpful to say...then dont say anything". If you are tired of answering the same question over and over, then dont! Let someone else field it.

2) I felt (as someone else mentioned) that the Versy adjuster was being HEAVILY pushed as the only real option to the chain problem. I must admit that it kinda turned me off as well. I am bright enough to understand what it does and why it is a great idea, but when you tell me "buy this gizmo or you are just plain stupid" (which is how it came across to me), then you are going to get an adverse reaction.

3) I am pretty bummed out that I seem to have purchased a bike that has more issues than an old Harley. If I had known that it was recommended that I crack the engine open after just 5,000 miles (or even once a year??) due to the cam chain adjuster issue, I might have bought the Honda VLX or the Vulcan 600. I'm at least grateful that these problems are easily fixed on the Savage.

I'm a Savage owner and I am here to stay. I'm smart enough to follow the wisdom of those who came before me. I can tell you however, that this thread bummed me out and makes me a bit nervous about posting here. Maybe it is just best to use this forum as an extended user/repair/upgrade manual rather than a "community forum".

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #199 - 06/02/15 at 12:54:07

Hello Stu,

I have had a lot of help here and I too am not leaving.

If you have a thin skin this is not the place for you. You will have to get used to immature comments  from guys that would rather tease you or make an ass out of you than help. If you pay attention on here you will see that some of these guys have serious issues and really need help.

Lucky for both of us the right guys eventually come along and save the day.

Verslagen is one of the good guys, and the modification he does to the Cam Chain Tensioner is pure gold. He will tell you how you can make the modification yourself if you can weld and have access to a machine shop.

My 2 Cents Worth.

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 06/02/15 at 17:44:11 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #200 - 06/02/15 at 12:56:03

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 06/02/15 at 11:44:49:
Ok, so I just finished reading this entire thread and....wow. I learned several things.
1) Most of the folks on this forum are incredibly helpful, for no other reason than they love the Savage and want others to get the most out of their bikes. The way some of you treated the young man who started this thread was, in my humble opinion, not particularly nice or welcoming.
I have been involved in specific subject forums for years and the very first rule is..." if you dont have anything nice/informative/helpful to say...then dont say anything". If you are tired of answering the same question over and over, then dont! Let someone else field it.

2) I felt (as someone else mentioned) that the Versy adjuster was being HEAVILY pushed as the only real option to the chain problem. I must admit that it kinda turned me off as well. I am bright enough to understand what it does and why it is a great idea, but when you tell me "buy this gizmo or you are just plain stupid" (which is how it came across to me), then you are going to get an adverse reaction.

3) I am pretty bummed out that I seem to have purchased a bike that has more issues than an old Harley. If I had known that it was recommended that I crack the engine open after just 5,000 miles (or even once a year??) due to the cam chain adjuster issue, I might have bought the Honda VLX or the Vulcan 600. I'm at least grateful that these problems are easily fixed on the Savage.

I'm a Savage owner and I am here to stay. I'm smart enough to follow the wisdom of those who came before me. I can tell you however, that this thread bummed me out and makes me a bit nervous about posting here. Maybe it is just best to use this forum as an extended user/repair/upgrade manual rather than a "community forum".

1) stu this is a community and we like to promote a helpful attitude rather than a snarky one.  and none of us are immune from a bad attitude once in a while.  but being here for the length of time that I've had, you develop a callus thick enough to deflect even the sharpest of barbs.  so you as a member all fresh and new need to make us aware when we are overstepping the bounds with a wounded remark.

2) I've seen this in the past and I'm careful not to push my solution in general.  In this case the attitude was denial for one reason or another and until there was a commitment to look into it everyone laid into him.  whether you buy a verslavy, make yourself a slavy, or buy a new chain as needed makes no difference to me.  but we do want you to check it, otherwise you'll be a member we never hear from again.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #201 - 06/02/15 at 17:09:23

Well, I just read the first three pages, bottom of first page, Stokes mentioned chain, I finally made a point of making it clear that the cam chain tensioner problem can be engine killers. Mention ed the Verslavy, because based on experience, and I HAVE been here for a while, that is the easiest way to get it going. First decide if it's okay. I got frustrated with the reluctance of the owner. He was wanting it running good. I get that.
But probably best to see if it's gonna be running at all,first.

I don't see snarky, Anyone wanna show me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #202 - 06/02/15 at 18:02:03

Serowbot wrote on 05/15/15 at 07:46:17:
I JUST TOLD YOU!...

Have your dad read it...

I did get my panties in a bunch there for a minute...  Grin...
...but, it was in part meant to be funny... Huh...

Sorry if nobody got that...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #203 - 06/16/15 at 17:15:38

In the end it doesn't matter. The advice was taken a while ago and now its running great not that it wasn't before. I went on the highway for the first time and pushed it in the right lane and still got to 68-69 (what the speedo read could have been faster if I used gps) but I could imagine I could juice 70;75 Maybe with a backwind. Given its 30 years old and all I'm not worried as much with the top speed, though I'm curious how some people claim they go up to 90. Belt is kind of stuff I can't really bend it 90 degrees without working it hard and the tires are to proper inflation. Only thing I cna think of is seafoam as on the highway it did pop a couple times when I was nearing WOT but I'm sure that's normal to slightly pop once or twice when youre nearing redline

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #204 - 06/16/15 at 17:49:19

rtebbs8996 wrote on 06/16/15 at 17:15:38:
Only thing I can think of is seafoam as on the highway it did pop a couple times when I was nearing WOT but I'm sure that's normal to slightly pop once or twice when youre nearing redline

Nope.....if the bike is running correctly it will not pop as you approach redline.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #205 - 06/16/15 at 18:14:20

Mk. Well for now it's running good for what I need I don't need/want to tinker with it as if now. What could it be though?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #206 - 06/16/15 at 19:21:22

Read all the posts... sounds like you have run the gauntlet of things and replies.

Sounds like you have taken it all in stride (good on you)... without being there in person sometimes it can be frustrating as a reader/listener figuring out what exactly someone is explaining, different minds interpret differently even though the words are black and white to the writer.

If you have done all the internals and it is running semi-great and you are looking to fine tune....and you have someone who knows carbs and fuel/air flow (there are tons of folks on this site) a walk through would again be needed.

First, now this is my first reply on your post... I watched your video....
Have you ever reached the end of acceleration? where the throttle would NOT twist any further?
In every post you made, you never ONCE said that, it was always "I could have", never I could NOT twist it any further. I realize you are a young rider, but to post (will not go past 60ish mph) and you have yet to twist the throttle to the stop...well.. then you really don't know if it will do 90mph.

Second, you have a cone filter, and i'm guessing you do not know what jets your carb has to compensate for all the air going into the fuel/air ratio (which could be limiting your speed).

Third, please spend some time in the "Tech section" of this forum, if you understand all the tech stuff read away or let your dad read about the carb stuff.
It is all fine and dandy to ask a question, but the reader needs to know ALL the information to make an educated guess (hypothesis) as to how to help you in the best way.

Fourth, I apologize if I am coming off gruffly, old guys are kinda set in their ways and get all antsy when their minds can't rap around what you are trying to get across, and we have ADHD when we can't get our points across, just ask pop, he will tell you... or go buy your experiences with him LOL... my pops would get short with me on occasion.

Hope this has shed a little light on what you need to do.... Lancer or Versy could probably explain the carb jets, or possibly Dave, a lot of folks have done carb mods and changed jets.

But please... read up a bit in the Tech Section so maybe you can understand what you want to ask, if you can be a little more "specific", it would help a lot, and not knowing about engines or how they work can be a real pain for you and those trying to help.

P.S. (edited) If you do not feel safe twisting the throttle all the way in fourth gear, get someone who will and let them tell what is happening with the bike. Don't do it if you don't feel safe, its not smart to ride beyond your feelings...trust me on that.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 21:13:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage only tops out at 60

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.