Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Savage only tops out at 60 (Read 1939 times)
botticelli

Custom Savage Build
Coming!

Boston
Re: Savage only tops out at 60
Reply #60 - 05/14/15 at 14:27:58

With this engine design...

it is when, NOT if

Four wheels move the body, two move the soul!
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #61 - 05/14/15 at 15:04:35

Put an new air filter on today, got it up to 65 and was still pulling at that speed, heading towards 70 easily. When my raptor petcock comes I think it will run a heap better. My dad talked to a mechanic he works with and he said when he worked in motorcycles, nobody came in reporting the problem, he said 'just because you see it on youtube doesn't mean they all do it" Well REGARDLESS, we are going to check it on Saturday just to be safe. If its fine, then its fine Ill just put the cover back on and be good. I'm not disregarding that its a possible issue. The guy said on the savages you're more than likely hearing the valves, and that's the only noise I hear. Front brake rides on the wheel a bit so it makes a scraping sound at high speeds but Ill fix that some point.  Ill check it day after tommorow

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #62 - 05/14/15 at 15:42:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhtQUNN1pxc

This is a video I just took of my engine. I don't know about you guys, but it sounds pretty good and better than some videos of people's savages on YouTube that are brand new. Many newer ones on YouTube are more rattly and metallic sounding.  Again, no obvious cam noise (I am checking it as soon as the cover gasket comes in) or is replacing the gasket necessary if I am just going to check the tensioner?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #63 - 05/14/15 at 16:58:48

rtebbs8996 wrote on 05/11/15 at 16:39:17:
You're right. I guess I should stop being a girl thingy and just ride it.

Lad, you have more issues than not having the scratch to buy a versy......or the $$$ to buy a clue from Vanna.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #64 - 05/14/15 at 17:18:26

What does that even mean

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #65 - 05/14/15 at 17:47:38

Your frustration is understandable, Ray, but the dude IS gonna have a look inside. This is THE weak link in the engine, and nearly always fatal. The petcock, that is just an annoyance. Aside from those two issues, ya gotta be keeping the valve lash in spec, no real reason to not stay stock. Unless you just want to wring a bit more out of it. Or that VW chirp the muffler makes is just disgusting,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #66 - 05/14/15 at 18:05:20

When I open it up, do I have to replace eany gasket or anything ircsn I just put the cover back on. And if it is too far out,what mods can I do to fix it myself? Someone mentioned you can diy with a welder, which is available my dad is a heavy equipment mechanic and has a truck of tools

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #67 - 05/14/15 at 18:12:06

See what you have, no reason to explain how to fix a problem that is yet to be found.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #68 - 05/14/15 at 18:16:50

Has anybody checked out the video I posted,it gives a good idea what mine sounds like. Advice or thoughts on how it runs

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #69 - 05/14/15 at 18:59:33

I did. Hard to tell about the idle.. near the end I thought it sounded odd. Like almost a sizzle, but it only lasted a second. And it's just a recording and it was in motion and not held near the engine, open it up. That's not gonna change unless you can get the PO to tell you the chain has been replaced and at what mileage.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #70 - 05/14/15 at 21:49:52

Sounds ok to me, some of the "sizzle" JOG2 referred to maybe caused by the fact that you are running a cone filter rather than the stock air box. Saturday's exercise should give you peace of mind one way or the other. Do post a photo of the tensioner and your measurement when you open it up.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #71 - 05/15/15 at 05:25:41

Probably the cone and also the crappy mic in my phone breaking up. The high pitched rumble whine from the exhaustvnear the end in real life is just the exhaust which sounds beautiful in real life, phone doesn't do exhaust sound justice.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #72 - 05/15/15 at 06:59:45

I think your bike sounds pretty good... Wink...

What you're not understanding is, the cam adjuster doesn't give any warning...  There is no noise until it falls out, then it's too late...

Have your dad modify your adjuster with a pinned slot and an extension...
Like this...
Once it is pinned,... it will give you an audible;e warning,... because the plunger can no longer fall out...  The chain will just get loose and you will hear rattling...
You won't get that warning with the stock adjuster... it will sound fine,.. and suddenly fall out... This 1/4 pound of hardened steel will shoot around the inside of the sidecase causing irreparable damage and you will need a new engine...
Follow me?...
If dad can't get it done,.. send your adjuster to Versy...
Once this mod is done, your engine is as bulletproof as any motorcycle made... 'tll then, it ain't..
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #73 - 05/15/15 at 07:40:22

How do we mod it?

IP Logged
Serowbot