Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
Savage only tops out at 60 (Read 1939 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Savage only tops out at 60
Reply #165 - 05/19/15 at 17:25:36

Perhaps I should have said... turn the bar left to go right, and once you initiate the turn, you will turn the bar less left... but not past the center point..
...less left, is in effect turning right,... just not past center...

The point is, the only way to turn a bike, is to upset the natural balance point by getting the contact point of the front tire onto the side...
Once you get what you're doing to turn a bike, you realize it's basically a controlled falling over...
Grin Grin Grin...

You are holding the bike in mid fall, fighting to keep it riding on the side of tire...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #166 - 05/19/15 at 17:39:28

Now we're in violent agreement.  Cheesy

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #167 - 05/19/15 at 17:56:07

On a side note. There is a YouTube motovlogger group ride next Saturday and the route includes 4 lane highway with a 65 speed limit. Any thing I can do to get a little boost to my top end speed before then? I've done the cam chain thing, When my raptor petcock comes in that is going on. Its bobbed out so there is less weight.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #168 - 05/19/15 at 18:08:45

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/19/15 at 17:39:28:
Now we're in violent agreement.  Cheesy

I will tell you the one thing I really appreciate....is how the bike seems to automatically correct for the gust of wind that hits you sideways out of nowhere - and the bike automatically leans into it and keeps going straight (mostly).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #169 - 05/19/15 at 18:10:32

rtebbs8996 wrote on 05/19/15 at 17:56:07:
On a side note. There is a YouTube motovlogger group ride next Saturday and the route includes 4 lane highway with a 65 speed limit. Any thing I can do to get a little boost to my top end speed before then? I've done the cam chain thing, When my raptor petcock comes in that is going on. Its bobbed out so there is less weight.

Most Savages don't have any problems with 65 mph speeds.  Be careful on group rides.....it is one place that "safety in numbers" does not apply.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #170 - 05/19/15 at 18:17:24

After a bit of research the highway its on is only 55mph speed limit. Now its just a matter if keeping up with 107 bikes, even though speed won't be the issue it will be traffic

IP Logged
botticelli

Custom Savage Build
Coming!

Boston
Reply #171 - 05/19/15 at 18:30:28

I use a gps app on my phone for speed verification purposes. This gives me the freedom to mess around with tire sizes, gearing, and rim size freely.

The stock speedo is off!

I have done 94.3 as of today. This summer the ton ig going to happen. I have a new rear tire inbound, and am considering a custom rear sprocket.

Dave wrote on 05/18/15 at 03:46:39:
botticelli wrote on 05/18/15 at 03:39:36:
Doing the ton on a bike like this is what makes it magical! It can just almost get there witch makes it awesome!

I just looked at Serowbot's speed/rpm chart in the tech section.  With the known speedometer error and the stock rear tire....you will have to reach an indicated 104.6 mph on the speedometer to actually reach 100 mph.  (Your speedometer error may vary).

Four wheels move the body, two move the soul!
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #172 - 05/19/15 at 19:27:30

rtebbs8996 wrote on 05/19/15 at 17:56:07:

During a group ride you want to ride staggered. Also, leave enough room for the guys ahead and behind to use the full lane. Fast guys in the front, slow guys in the back. A group organizer will ride round-up (last) to make sure no one is lost or left behind.

Ride your own pace. It's not a race, its a ride.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tomi
YaBB Newbies

Pas de voictoire
sans la guerre

Fairview Park, Ohio
Reply #173 - 05/19/15 at 19:28:16

I'm just gonna add my 2 cents about the MSF course here, having just taken it 1.5 weeks ago.

Rtebbs8996, I recommend you take it as soon as you possibly can.  I am middle-aged and burdened with neither the certainty of knowing I'm right nor the sense of indestructibility that comes with being a 16 year-old boy.  (Arguing only proves me right, so don't bother.)

Anyway, the MSF course is fifty bucks.  I can't believe how much I learned during the class, and the seasoned riders in my group each also learned new things.  Several of my friends re-take the course every few years just to help themselves shed bad riding habits.

It could also save you money on your insurance.  

It'll be the best money you spend on this bike.  Honest.

* Tomi

2006 S40, 11k, Raptor petcock, first 'cycle. Wish me luck!

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #174 - 05/19/15 at 21:33:34

Tomi wrote on 05/19/15 at 19:28:16:
I'm just gonna add my 2 cents about the MSF course here, having just taken it 1.5 weeks ago.

Rtebbs8996, I recommend you take it as soon as you possibly can.  I am middle-aged and burdened with neither the certainty of knowing I'm right nor the sense of indestructibility that comes with being a 16 year-old boy.  (Arguing only proves me right, so don't bother.)

Anyway, the MSF course is fifty bucks.  I can't believe how much I learned during the class, and the seasoned riders in my group each also learned new things.  Several of my friends re-take the course every few years just to help themselves shed bad riding habits.

It could also save you money on your insurance.  

It'll be the best money you spend on this bike.  Honest.

* Tomi

Cost depends on location, some states help support the program, some don't
here in Texas it costs $200 last I checked
It's worth every penny, your body is best in factory form, modification via repair of crash damage will lessen performance, and quality of life
I've been riding for 32 years, and I'm gonna take the class myself, and sure that I'll be a better rider for it

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #175 - 05/20/15 at 02:46:35

Mr Tebbs, I feel you should get a little more solo riding experience before taking on comparatively large group rides. Be aware that the S40/Savage rear brake can lock up very quickly in an emergency stop situation. You seem to have only got your "permit" in the last two or three weeks. Have you checked with the riding group that you will be allowed to ride with what appears to be a learner or restricted permit? Does this group have a novice group within the ride? How experienced are you in close quarters riding? I don't wish to be seen as patronizing in any way, but in some respects the pittance spent on gas for the group ride might be better applied to the MSF course, or getting the books Gary in NJ recommended from your local library. I note in the picture of your machine, there is a Mack truck in the background, have you ever sat in the cab of a truck and wondered about or looked for the truck drivers blind spots? Please don't think I'm being paternalistic, I simply want to see you enjoy many years of motorcycle riding without pain , disablement or death.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #176 - 05/20/15 at 15:57:38

You are right. My permit only restricts me from carrying passengers and riding at night. Although I've been riding only bout 3 weeks on my permit and a couple years on a moped (which regrettably I can say I rode o backroads around town without neither license or permit), I wouldn't go on this ride if I didn't feel comfortable. When the time comes, If I'm up for it I will go, if not I'll stay home.

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #177 - 05/22/15 at 12:17:29

what will new raptor petcock do for me

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #178 - 05/22/15 at 12:37:47

What it does is permanently eliminate the possibility of vacuum diaphragm failure in the standard vacuum operated petcock. You must remember to turn it to off when you park the bike, something you don't have to worry about with the standard issue.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #179 - 05/22/15 at 13:19:46

rtebbs8996 wrote on 05/22/15 at 12:17:29:
what will new raptor petcock do for me