Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Savage only tops out at 60 (Read 1939 times)
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Savage only tops out at 60
05/11/15 at 10:31:11

After paroozing around, a lot of people talk about getting around 75 on their savage. Im curious, as I'm only getting about 60, and its revving pretty high there. I bought my 87 model with 19000 miles last November and have been running it the past week since I got my permit. Any tips? I replaced spark plug and changed oil. Runs great, just not a High top speed compared to others

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Savage only tops out at 60
Reply #1 - 05/11/15 at 10:51:40

Does it top out at 60 or are you scared to twist it any further?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/11/15 at 10:58:00

Stock belt drive on a 4spd tops out at 94mph at 6500rpm redline...
Yer' only about 4k rpm in 4th at 60mph...

You won't hit redline in 4th,... but, it should do better than 70 in 3rd...
... around 85 to 90 in 4th before you run out of power...

Twist that wrist... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #3 - 05/11/15 at 11:05:41

Do you still have the stock belt drive or has the bike been converted to use a chain?

Have you used a speedometer app on your phone to verify that you are getting a correct reading out of the stock speedo?  

Are you wide open throttle in 6th when you are getting the 60mph reading?

WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/11/15 at 11:05:53

Has the bike been modified in any way that you can see?  Does it have a belt drive or did someone put on a sprocket and chain setup?  A stock Savage is fairly quick around town and should easily go well beyond 60 mph.  I can't remember what the top end is on my bike, probably a little over 85 mph and some people report numbers higher than that.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #5 - 05/11/15 at 11:10:49

Stock belt drive. No I'm not wide open, but it gets really loud. I'm probably just scared. Yesterday it read 57 and my dad said he was going 60 and I was keeping up, and it was really loud but still not wide open. I could have gone further but I guess I am afraid of "breaking" the engine. No I have not tried android speedo but I have thought about it this weekend. I'll try that. It does seem loud though. Maybe its just me . it also backfires when I roll off the throttle at those speeds ( if I roll off pretty quick, if I slow throlle slow its fine"
Grin

IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #6 - 05/11/15 at 11:16:57

It might start to scream at you but as you continue to twist the throttle but you should be able to feel the additional power.  Vibration will probably continue to get worse as well.  I have had my s40 over 90mph and regularly cruise at 70.

Putting on a dyna muffler and rejetting your carb should help with some sound and backfiring.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 05/11/15 at 12:24:54

Are you still running the stock muffler?
Some modified mufflers, or straight pipes will be stupidly loud.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #8 - 05/11/15 at 16:14:54

Stock muffler. Might bring it in for a tune up to local shop, just so they can look over  everything. If they come out and say that I am afraid of just wailing it and make it scream, then I'll feel better. today it was kind of chilly, and I had it at 45 and still pulling in 3rd, not full throttle. I assume If I was in 4th I could easily pass 60-65 today. Maybe it runs slow when its very humid and hot out like it was yesterday. Everything is stock on it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/11/15 at 16:33:32

A tune-up?,...  really no such thing on a single cylinder with electronic ignition...
They'll change yer' spark plug and charge you $100...

Tune-up, carb work, vale jobs,... none of it will decrease the rpm's at high speeds...
That is a fixed ratio... engine pulses to wheel rotation...

Just twist the throttle... (if the rpm's scare you... run it at 60 in 3rd, for a few minutes... then, 4th will sound lazy and easy...)...

Believe me,... at anything under 50mph, you are lugging the engine in 4th...
Just get used to the engine running in it's stride...

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #10 - 05/11/15 at 16:39:17

You're right. I guess I should stop being a girl thingy and just ride it. Its hard to hurt these engines as it is, I'm just paranoid. Lol
I'm used to the Chinese scooter I used to ride which was very crappy and would stall half the time, so I'm not used to a proper bike. I keep assuming there's a problem when there isn't haha

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 05/11/15 at 17:27:51

That's right...  As long as you don't try to go 60 in 1st,... you won't hurt this bike with rpm's...
You'll get more damage by lugging it, or having your idle speed too low....(it needs some rpm to keep oil pressure up)... So, no lopey slow idle... you want a smooth steady purr...
...and, check your oil level every tankful if you do much running over 70mph...
It will use a little oil at those speeds...that's normal...

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 05/11/15 at 19:21:52

A taller rear tire (140/90-15) will make a world of difference. It will drop your RPMs only by about 200 or so but your butt and your ear will think it's ~1000. My bike seems much smoother and quieter with the 140/90. Plus, your speedo will be more accurate.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/11/15 at 20:24:49

MMMmmmmmm ..... lemme see here ..... Gots an 1987 year model that is 28 years old at this point in time, with no mods and a NOISY stock muffler (rotted out internally most likely) ....

.... sucker jest won't rev up past 60 mph unless he really really works on it.

First question -- are you still running the 28 year old stock vac petcock ????    Has the air filter ever been cleaned/changed  ????

He's running in essence a straight pipe while sucking his gas through a 28 year old stock vac petcock and an unknown possibly clogged up air filter.

........ mmmmm ????   What comes to mind boys and girls?

I'd get him to blow out or replace his air filter and TEST/REPLACE his petcock (get a Raptor preferably) before I'd try to tell him anything else, because until those two thing are right you are off chasing them durn butterflies again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 05/12/15 at 00:27:19

If the bike's done 19000 miles you may wish to consider going to the tech section, go to page 7 and go to the fourth post from the bottom about what a loose cam chain tensioner sounds like. If your bike doesn't make this noise, it may be worth your while to inspect the tensioner. There is a good post on page one of the tech section on how to do this, but don't attempt it unless you are comfortable with tools. If you are going to try the bike out you should be able to change out of third at 50 to 55 mph and go from there.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 18:00:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage only tops out at 60

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.