Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb giving me fits...seems ok (Read 75 times)
AsphaltMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb giving me fits...seems ok
05/28/15 at 13:02:16

it starts, it runs at idle you touch the gas slightly and you can rev it a little, after that, it bogs out...
I'm going bald over this carb! That being said, it's never idled reliably, at many stops it would cut out when you throttled. Had to two different mechanics, once on the dyno, I don't know what they did with the jets as to sizes... the bike is a 2006 with 4230 miles. I did the spacer mod, pretty certain I have the float right now, the main adjust is out 3 turns, it has been running well at 4 turns out I put 123 miles on it one day the next it's been giving me fits.
Huh
   Sorry;, it has the petcock change, the carb is plugged. gas flows freely from either on or reserve and is off when off... Taking it off the bike isn't that difficult after four or five times, I can get it off in about 1/2 hour and apart, I'll try cleaning the thing... haven't done that yet.
the shop that did the most work and may have jetted the carb is out of business, how do I tell sizes?

and thanks for the help
[color=#ff0033][/color] found dirt in carb, cleaned carb... disassembled and reassembled spacer mod, ensuring accurate diagrams were used in reassembly phase... cleaned four jets and carb body, cleaned slide, etc...
also checked float with port on bottom and clear hose, comes right to top of bowl and stops... beauty. It starts, it runs, it spits a bit if I shift too soon, seems to love running at higher revs... never got into fifth tonight, was still up over 60 with ease. I'd say she's running nicely, we'll see how the tempremental thing is tomorrow.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 05/28/15 at 19:59:59 by AsphaltMan »  
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Carb giving me fits.
Reply #1 - 05/28/15 at 13:11:12

possible slide sticking?
when you give it throttle and it bogs down, tap the top of the carb with something.  A decent hard tapping, but don't beat it to death.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/28/15 at 13:12:06

The screw you are turning is not the main jet....it is the "idle fuel screw" and adjusts the mixture at idle.  Turning the carb screw out more than 3 turns does nothing....at 3 turns the needle is no longer restricting flow through the orifice and it is flowing as much fuel as it can.  If you need to open the idle fuel screw more than 2 turns......it is time to go up one size on the pilot jet.

Once you begin to open the throttle and it dies - it likely means there is something wrong in the main jet/needle jet circuit.

We really need to know what jets are inside to help you with the trouble shooting.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/28/15 at 13:18:41

Stock petcock?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 05/28/15 at 13:22:15

Classic issues of:

1) Bad Fuel
2) Clogged Main & Needle jets

No amount of Seafoam will fix this. The carb will have come off for a cleaning.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/28/15 at 13:54:54

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/28/15 at 13:22:15:
Classic issues of:

1) Bad Fuel
2) Clogged Main & Needle jets

No amount of Seafoam will fix this. The carb will have come off for a cleaning.

I've seen old gas do that.
If it's old, dump it,drain the carb bowl.
Regular Gas.
Make sure the exhaust is not plugged and intake free.
If it's a stock petcock, use Prime.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #6 - 05/28/15 at 15:22:51

One of my "now what did I do wrong" attempts to do my carb, I had re-assembled the diaphragm and spring incorrectly,  resulting in symptoms similar to what you are experiencing.     Embarrassed   (Hay.. The last carb I rebuilt before this was the Carter on the '37 Packard...Much simpler and easier to get to.... )

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
AsphaltMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/28/15 at 15:43:52

I'm checking that right now actually, fairly certain I've got it correct, when I did the spacer mod...
Wink  

Now, I'm not so sure. Though I am certain it's all correct now. Then I took the whole carb apart and cleaned it out, it was pretty grimy, but not apparently plugged anywhere but the tiny hole and the ungodly tiny orafice I took out and cleaned with mild compressed air... (lip power)...
the large and surprisingly not so large "jets" were also cleaned this way after removal and inspection showed gas wetness, but no apparent blockage.  re-installed and it's running... also checked float adjustment and cleaned the slide and chamber, some grime was removed.   Smiley

« Last Edit: 05/28/15 at 19:49:26 by AsphaltMan »  
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/28/15 at 15:59:53

old.indian wrote on 05/28/15 at 15:22:51:
One of my "now what did I do wrong" attempts to do my carb, I had re-assembled the diaphragm and spring incorrectly,  resulting in symptoms similar to what you are experiencing.     Embarrassed   (Hay.. The last carb I rebuilt before this was the Carter on the '37 Packard...Much simpler and easier to get to.... )

Those old Carters were the bees knees, weren't they?
Had more than one late 60s early 70s Dodges with carter 1-jets, and man were they easy to work on
Hooked on them to this day

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:47:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb giving me fits...seems ok

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.