Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Savage only tops out at 60 (Read 1939 times)
botticelli

Custom Savage Build
Coming!

Boston
Re: Savage only tops out at 60
Reply #135 - 05/18/15 at 03:39:36

Doing the ton on a bike like this is what makes it magical! It can just almost get there witch makes it awesome! On a bikes that can do it in 2nd or 3rd whats the point?

I haven't hit the ton on the savage, yet! I know it can just make it. riding the bike at the limit, just to touch it, that's the magic.

Four wheels move the body, two move the soul!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #136 - 05/18/15 at 03:46:39

botticelli wrote on 05/18/15 at 03:39:36:
Doing the ton on a bike like this is what makes it magical! It can just almost get there witch makes it awesome!

I just looked at Serowbot's speed/rpm chart in the tech section.  With the known speedometer error and the stock rear tire....you will have to reach an indicated 104.6 mph on the speedometer to actually reach 100 mph.  (Your speedometer error may vary).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #137 - 05/18/15 at 08:40:55

unless he has the oversize rear tire, that corrects it  Shocked

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #138 - 05/18/15 at 15:31:07

Okay so I've got to ask...How unusual is it to have an accurate speedo with the stock tire size?  My speedo is spot on accurate.  I've checked it with GPS and radar at various speeds and my speedo is dead on.  I've seen so many people posting that the speedo isn't accurate with the stock tire.  Am I the only one reporting otherwise? By the way it's an '05 if that makes any difference.  I just got it about a month ago with 10k miles on it.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #139 - 05/18/15 at 15:53:44

I had an 05 and it wasn't right. Taller rear tire got it close enough I couldn't say that it was not right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #140 - 05/18/15 at 16:01:00

I have not taken the safety course. Yet. I plan on doing it between getting my permit and license, probably over the summer. I can't get my license until I'm 16 1/2 anyways which will be in November, right when the riding season will be close to over :/. I just got my class m permit 2 weeks ago today, so I've just been getting used to the roads, which has been a blast. Gradually I'm moving to bigger and larger roads and getting acclimated with traffic. To answer your question, I have not taken the course yet and by the looks of it , the tires are in good condition. Old owenr put on a set of  nice pirelli tires. They probably cost him close to what I paid for the bike, $450. Good looking tires as well.

10431453_938288726222112_1800278001473772767_n.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #141 - 05/18/15 at 16:18:46

chzeckmate wrote on 05/18/15 at 15:31:07:
Okay so I've got to ask...How unusual is it to have an accurate speedo with the stock tire size?  My speedo is spot on accurate.  I've checked it with GPS and radar at various speeds and my speedo is dead on.  I've seen so many people posting that the speedo isn't accurate with the stock tire.  Am I the only one reporting otherwise? By the way it's an '05 if that makes any difference.  I just got it about a month ago with 10k miles on it.

even a busted clock is right twice a day   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #142 - 05/18/15 at 18:57:03

verslagen1 wrote on 05/18/15 at 16:18:46:
chzeckmate wrote on 05/18/15 at 15:31:07:

even a busted clock is right twice a day   Huh

That's true, but a busted clock is ONLY right twice a day.  My speedo is right all the time.  If my speedo is is malfunctioning is such a way as to display the correct speed all the time then I'd say that's pretty peculiar.  There must be others who have accurate speedos...right?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #143 - 05/18/15 at 19:16:27

And you are certain about the tire size being stock?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #144 - 05/18/15 at 19:31:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/18/15 at 19:16:27:
And you are certain about the tire size being stock?

Pretty sure it's the stock size.  It's an IRC 140/80/15 See here http://goo.gl/4pfACO

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #145 - 05/18/15 at 20:02:36

Yeah, sounds right. Well, a taller tire is gonna mess that up, but shave RPM on the road and top speed up..

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #146 - 05/19/15 at 05:47:07

rtebbs8996 wrote on 05/18/15 at 16:01:00:
I have not taken the safety course. Yet. I plan on doing it between getting my permit and license, probably over the summer. I can't get my license until I'm 16 1/2 anyways which will be in Novembe

I didn't realize that you are just 16...no wonder you were so hard to get through to...you know everything already Smiley (said by a father with a 16 year old).

Here's some advice from someone that started dirt riding when I was 8 years old. When I was your age I couldn't wait to get my first street bike. There were no safety courses back then and besides, no one could teach me how to ride anyway - I already had 8 years experience (16 is a very boneheaded age).

I learned that dirt riding and street riding are very different. If you can find them, there are street riding books by Keith Code and Lee Parks. These books are the BEST guides in the world. Read their words and then practice their drills. Here are some pointers for you:

1. Turn via counter-steering (push right, go right / push left, go left). It is the ONLY way a single track vehicle turns (gyroscopic pregression). Weight shifting, weighing a peg, pushing you knee into the tank - ALL BULL CRAP. It's counter-steering and counter-steering only.

2. When stopping, the front brake does 75-80% of all the work. It's a rare occurrence that I even touch the rear brake (usually in a turn to correct my line which is an advance technique). Ride with a finger or two covering the brake handle.

3. Cage drivers don't see you, and some of the ones that do resent you and would be happy to ruin your fun. Assume that the guy that looks like he's gonna make a left in front of you will make that left...because chance are he WILL. Slow down at intersections and look for people blowing through the intersection.

4. NEVER drink and ride.

5. Limit your riding in the dark.

6. Always wear a helmet, gloves, jacket and over the ankle boots (preferably without laces). Leather is easy to replace, skin doesn't grow back very nicely.

7. Use all of your lane. When approaching a bend in the road, start at the far side and move towards the apex (center) through the turn. This allows you maximum visibility through the turn to see traffic and potential obstacles and makes the turn more fun as it also allows for more lean angle.

8. Get your braking done PRIOR to the turn. There is no worse feeling than realizing mid-turn that you are carrying too much speed. Grabbing the brake at this point does two things; 1) it reduces the available traction/grip of the front tire because now you're asking it to do two things (turn and stop) and 2) it will stand the bike up, causing you to go wide in the turn and off the road. If you find yourself too fast in a turn the best course of action is to reduce throttle and continue to ride the bike. If there is a good/hard shoulder use that space as you go wide. If you can't go wide, stay in the turn and continue to counter-steer your way out.

I'm 52 years old and I love riding today as much as I did when I was your age. Get the basic riding skills down as early as possible and you too can enjoy a life-time of motorcycling. Over the years I've taught many people how to ride (street, MX and trails) and I think that is the most fun part for me.

Enjoy. Be safe.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #147 - 05/19/15 at 07:36:06

I might add that you don't want to let traffic pressure you into riding in a way that makes you uncomfortable.  When I was your age I was riding on a two lane highway and the traffic behind me was going faster than I wanted to go.  The road was winding and I wanted to take it easy but the car behind me kept riding my fender so I sped up...The next thing I knew I went wide on a curve and into the ditch (#8 on Gary_in_NJ list).  Never ride beyond your comfort and skill level.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #148 - 05/19/15 at 10:28:38

Gary,

I have been riding for 63 years, and I probably counter steer, but I never under stood the following:

"1. Turn via counter-steering (push right, go right / push left, go left). It is the ONLY way a single track vehicle turns (gyroscopic pregression). Weight shifting, weighing a peg, pushing you knee into the tank - ALL BULL CRAP. It's counter-steering and counter-steering only."

When a rider pushes right is he pushing forward on the left handle bar or pushing down on the right handlebar? I have never understood the phrasing for counter-steering.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #149 - 05/19/15 at 10:38:36

Kenny G wrote on 05/19/15 at 10:28:38:
Gary,

I have been riding for 63 years, and I probably counter steer, but I never under stood the following:

"1. Turn via counter-steering (push right, go right / push left, go left). It is the ONLY way a single track vehicle turns (gyroscopic pregression). Weight shifting, weighing a peg, pushing you knee into the tank - ALL BULL CRAP. It's counter-steering and counter-steering only."

When a rider pushes right is he pushing forward on the left handle bar or pushing down on the right handlebar? I have never understood the phrasing for counter-steering.

Kenny G

When I first heard of this concept.....it sounded horribly weird and unbelievable to me.  I had a bicycle to test the theory on - but a motorcycle works just as well.

Go down a smooth, straight road at a comfortable speed.  Keep your hand on the throttle, and take your clutch hand (left) off the bars......and using the index finger on your left hand, gently apply a bit of pressure on the left handlebar grip.  Be ready for the bike to start turning to toward the centerline....even though you are pushing in the opposite direction. Shocked

Same thing for coming out of a turn....if you apply pressure to the handlebars in the direction you are turning - the bike will stand right up and go straight!

We are all doing this without thinking, and it is the only way you can hustle a 800 pound Touring bike around corners.....my 160 pound body can't make it happen by leaning.  Once you become aware of how it works....you have the ability to use it more effectively in your riding and you can ride a large bike almost as easily as a small bike.

Corner_002.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 12:07:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage only tops out at 60

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.