Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe. (Read 1573 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.
Reply #60 - 02/17/17 at 10:42:51

Be careful about how fast a drill bit designed for wood,like an auger or spade is spun up.
I watched one bend , break and fly across the shop fast enough to break 1 1/2 " schedule 40 pvc. It was an auger type. Missed Reelthing by about six inches...  We were just seeing how daggum fast that press would spin. I hit the off button before it ever got fully wound up, but a few hundred RPM too late.
If in doubt, having the tip in the pilot hole would keep it from deflecting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #61 - 02/17/17 at 12:01:35

Good point Justin, 100-150 rpm is all that is required.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #62 - 02/17/17 at 16:48:27

I did a bit of looking at the mount tonight after the wife and I got home from our Friday "dinner date".  The spaces on either side of the key switch will work really well for mounting a cigarette lighter style power socket.

I didn't run the drill very fast, and it was amazing how well the spade bit just kept peeling off small strips of aluminum foil!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 02/20/17 at 04:33:16

I was able to get the headlight mounts installed, and finish up the speedo mount.  I drilled 2 holes and used 1 for the accessory plug, I might look for a voltmeter to mount in the other one.  I guess the next phase is to start getting all this wired up,

I found a voltmeter that will fit into the hole.  I could get it in green, blue or red - I chose red as it does not hurt your night vision.....some of those blue lights they use on the high beam indicator can be really offensive!

« Last Edit: 02/20/17 at 12:45:53 by Dave »  

VOLT.jpg

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #64 - 02/20/17 at 15:08:43

Very nice Dave

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 02/21/17 at 05:06:57

With the camera stuck right on top of the new mount and speedo it looks a bit bulky - it really isn't that big looking in person.  The speedo has to go out that far to clear the fork lock that is built into the ignition switch.  The headlight has a similar issue, as I would like to mount it a bit higher - but the fork lock gets in the way.  I could trim 1/4" off the back of the headlight housing and move the light up a bit farther to help cover the back of the speedo.......I will leave it "as-is" for now and see what it looks like when everything is assembled.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 02/23/17 at 10:21:50

The little Ninja is a capable bike.  This fellow has used one to do some Iron Butt rides.  He has gone 1,527 miles in less than 36 hours, 2,226 miles in less than 48 hours, and a Coast to Coast ride of 2,412 miles in less than 50 hours of riding time.

http://www.theyeagergroup.com/ninja_250_BB1500_50CC.htm

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #67 - 02/27/17 at 04:48:30

Over the weekend I was able to strip the poor factory paint off the headlight, and put on a nice low-gloss powder coat, and then get the headlight mounted.

I also got pretty far along with the wiring for the front.  I got the factory connector cut off, and new bullet connectors installed on the wring harness and I got the front turn signals wired in.  Next is putting the connectors on the Trailtech Vapor wires, and plugging it all together.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #68 - 02/27/17 at 05:50:47

determined that the Metzeler ME 880 Marathon 130/90HB16 rear tire would be fine the entire trip.

I didn't know that little bike used such a tire.
Id sure like a few days of playing with one of those things.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #69 - 02/27/17 at 07:16:15

Dave, are you doing the powder coating at home? If so, what kit are you using and how do you like it? Does it make a mess of your oven?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 02/27/17 at 07:39:01

I bought the Eastwood dual voltage gun, and a used oven that I put in the garage.  The powder coat doesn't make a mess of the oven - but it sure does make a strong smell when the paint is curing.  There is a warning that you should not use the oven for food once you use if for powder coating....I think it most likely would be fine as long as you didn't bake a cake while you are powder coating.

The powder coating process is a bit time consuming - but no worse than painting.  It takes a little practice to get things right, and it is not without surprises.  A friend brought some pieces over to get coated - and it all seemed to go fine - but when we took the pieces out one had some weird spots on it....turns out he stripped the parts and then washed them, and there was still water stuck in a pore in a weld....the water boiled out when the part got hot.  The powder coating doesn't make a mess all over the garage - but it does leave a pile underneath whatever you are painting.....sometimes I can powdercoat outside if there is no wind, and that makes cleanup easier as I don't have to sweep the floor.

Cleaning up the gun is a breeze compared to paint.....just take the air compressor and blow it out!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #71 - 02/27/17 at 08:14:23

Very NEAT looking package on that speedometer Dave !   Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #72 - 02/27/17 at 08:17:35

MMRanch wrote on 02/27/17 at 08:14:23:
Very NEAT looking package on that speedometer Dave !   Cool

Thanks.  I just ordered one of those turn signal diodes so I can make the left/right turn signals run a single indicator light on the speedo.  I am going to change one of the turn signal indicators on the speedo to be the oil pressure warning light.

I really like my connector kit from Vintage Connectors.  It makes it possible to change the wiring around, add connectors or wiring, and have it look and work just like the original stuff.  You can put a connector in with a single, double or triple connections - and that really helps when wiring up running lights, turn signals and the matching indicator light, etc.

The connectors all have seals to keep them watertight!

Their website is currently down....but here is a link:

http://vintageconnections.com/

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #73 - 02/27/17 at 08:33:13

Dave wrote on 02/27/17 at 08:17:35:
I just ordered one of those turn signal diodes so I can make the left/right turn signals run a single indicator light on the speedo.  
----------------------

I need one (or two??) of those myself.  Right now I'm using the oil indicator light as one of my turn signals.  Where did you get your diodes and just to confirm, you need one diode on each input, correct?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #74 - 02/27/17 at 08:52:34

You only need one "assembly" to combine 2 turn signals into 1 indicator light.  The assembly will be connected to the positive lead of each (left/right) turn signal, then you just run the single wire on the other side of the assembly to the positive side of the indicator light.  (You don't really need to worry about the negative wire jumper they send....I am not sure where you would connect that?).

You can get the diode assembly from Kuryakin is you want to spend a bunch BikeMaster if you want to spend less.  I got mine in eBay - but you can get them from Superbight LED, Bike Bandit or most other online suppliers (I should maybe have checked Amazon).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232183613162?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 08:30:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.