Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best Internet for Rural Areas (Read 28 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Best Internet for Rural Areas
02/15/19 at 07:13:15

For ~6 years we had Viasat (formerly Exede) for satellite based internet. We are rural and have no landline internet service available.

Recently we had to move the satellite because of a construction project and to say the very least, dealing with the non-US customer service was the worst experience of my life. Over the course of about 10 days I called them no less than 10 times and got lied to, told different stories every time I called, and the ONLY time I got to speak with someone that spoke English as a first language was when I canceled and they wanted to try and schmooze me over.

I say all that to say, this horrible experience pushed me to look for any and all possible options and I stumbled on AT&T fixed wireless.  We signed up and I have been pleasantly surprised and impressed. It is a cell based service and you have to be within 5 miles of a cell tower, and we are 2.8 miles away. Signal strength is good and speeds are awesome.  Wish I would have stumbled on this years ago.

For comparison, Viasat gave us speeds quoted at 25mbps, but in reality the download was usually ~10mbps and upload 1mbps, and a 25gb/month data limit with the package we had.
AT&T Fixes Wireless (on the hard wired desktop) gives us consistent ~45-50mbps download and ~20-25mbps upload, AND a monthly data allotment of 215gb.

On top of that, since I had already AT&T landline (we use it for a home-based business fax) and DirecTV, I was able to bundle and get the new internet $30/month cheaper than Viasat, and I was able to finagle getting my DirecTV bill cut in half because of the bundling of all three services and my longevity as a 'loyal customer'.  I ended up with better service and a decrease in my monthly bills of ~$100.

I usually don't 'write reviews', but if anyone is suffering the pains of Viasat, look into the AT&T fixed wireless option and see if there is a cell tower close enough to you...you won't be disappointed!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Best Internet for Rural Areas
Reply #1 - 02/16/19 at 03:34:32

Sounds like this might be a good substitute, but alas, we live 5 miles from the nearest tower and there are hills between.  
Signal ?
Iffy at best.  🙁

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 10:49:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Best Internet for Rural Areas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.